Show us your Head-Fi station at it's current state. No old pictures please...
Jan 22, 2024 at 7:25 AM Post #39,991 of 41,298
Glad my post brought back memories!

I’m almost 62 so really my golden albums were early 1970s or 1969.......probably like Black Sabbath one and Led Zeppelin one? But I have joyous memories of that Airplane song/album too!
Don't know how old you are, but that album features prominently in my adolescent days...it is a touchstone for me. Less than 2 weeks following Woodstock I entered college along with other like-minded folks who also brought that spirit along. By then it was Volunteers. My best friend from college spent an Interim period in January 1970 doing his independent research in the studio with the Airplane - his first joint of his life was rolled by them....
Love that album. Thanks for the memory...
D44BB37A-5C7A-4408-980F-8436C4BA05F6.jpeg

Last edited:
Jan 22, 2024 at 7:49 AM Post #39,993 of 41,298
Sony fan?
What's the Chi Fi equivalent(s) to IER Z1R?

Cheers!
Hmmm. Actually nothing that I know of? I mean the IER is something else, it is like a different world all to itself? Maybe the Penon 10th Anniversary, yet that does not have the refined treble, because the IER is a DD for treble, it really generates a style of reality? Nor the exact ambiance of the IER’s bass DD with that metal housing and phase coherence? The IER is unusual and unique? IMO Yet the IER has its share of issues too, as the midrange is slightly back? So? Nothing is perfect.

So...hmm...still I have not heard anything like the IER...yet? Best to get the IER, even now all these years later. IMO If you can deal with the size/weight and midrange?

Last edited:
Jan 22, 2024 at 8:09 AM Post #39,995 of 41,298
How's the Leben?
It sounds wonderfully, besides the extremely balanced tone, it creates a three-dimensional space that no other amplifier has so far made me feel

Jan 22, 2024 at 8:10 AM Post #39,996 of 41,298
So...hmm...I have not heard anything like it....yet?
Hmm...you are giving me a hard time :)
I already heard that, even for M9, but if you take off technicalities, give just pleasure and excitement, as it's the most valuable thing for me in deciding. Are there any that are close to Z1R? I've seen Dunu Zen Pro; they look great and a bit like Z1R with their shells...can that be a substitute, regarding their look and sound? I am still waiting for the Vulkan to come back in stock.

Z1R is so hard to get in Europe in general, and one you can get is way over the price I am willing to go for (2.2k).

Jan 22, 2024 at 9:05 AM Post #39,997 of 41,298
No I’m not giving you a hard time, I mean I don’t hear that many TOTL Flagships. I have only heard a few, maybe 10 in my life. My review units are never more than $800.00, and most of the time way-way less. So I don’t hear that many that even could compare with the IER? Wish I could help, ask someone who has heard a bunch of TOTL Flagships. Maybe they can help? The Zen Pro I haven’t heard, so I don’t know but the original Zen was not like the IER. You will enjoy the Vulkan, don’t give up on that one! The Vulkan is more like the IER because both are Hybrids, where the Zen was/is DD full-range, so different sound.
Hmm...you are giving me a hard time :)
I already heard that, even for M9, but if you take off technicalities, give just pleasure and excitement, as it's the most valuable thing for me in deciding. Are there any that are close to Z1R? I've seen Dunu Zen Pro; they look great and a bit like Z1R with their shells...can that be a substitute, regarding their look and sound? I am still waiting for the Vulkan to come back in stock.

Z1R is so hard to get in Europe in general, and one you can get is way over the price I am willing to go for (2.2k).

Last edited:
Jan 22, 2024 at 9:54 AM Post #39,998 of 41,298
You will enjoy the Vulkan, don’t give up on that one! The Vulkan is more like the IER because both are Hybrids, where the Zen was/is DD full-range, so different sound.
Now, that's what I would call "not giving me a hard time" :)
I will not give up on Vulkan; just waiting.

I was kidding, btw by "giving me a hard time."
You've been helpful to me.

I am a fan of Sony, too, so I keep looking at Z1R (IER, not MDR that I have).

It's not that I am interested in buying any TOTL. Just Sony...

What I have discovered with Dunu Falcon Ultra is that I just don't see myself buying IEMs for more than 1k.
I did have quite a journey with headphones (overhead); I will not repeat that with IEMs.
I see a lot of fun and excitement with them in the really affordable range.

Thanks!

Cheers!

Last edited:
Jan 22, 2024 at 10:33 AM Post #39,999 of 41,298
Glad my post brought back memories!

I’m almost 62 so really my golden albums were early 1970s or 1969.......probably like Black Sabbath one and Led Zeppelin one? But I have joyous memories of that Airplane song/album too!

D44BB37A-5C7A-4408-980F-8436C4BA05F6.jpeg
Damn man. You were rockin out to this stuff at about 9 years old. Schiit, I thought I was a little bada$$ at 13 but can’t touch that.

Jan 22, 2024 at 12:08 PM Post #40,000 of 41,298
Sony fan?
What's the Chi Fi equivalent(s) to IER Z1R?

Cheers!

As far as I know there is no "exact" equivalent of IER Z1R. However, if you like the sound of Sony, I think Symphonium Meteor could be your answer (not chi-fi though)

Jan 23, 2024 at 11:16 AM Post #40,004 of 41,298
As far as I know there is no "exact" equivalent of IER Z1R. However, if you like the sound of Sony, I think Symphonium Meteor could be your answer (not chi-fi though)
Maestro Mini tons of sub bass. TONS. But not going to get the staging.

Jan 23, 2024 at 11:17 AM Post #40,005 of 41,298

Users who are viewing this thread

Back