Shure KSE1500 Review - Shure KSE1500 Sound Isolating Electrostatic Earphones
Oct 22, 2015 at 8:34 AM Post #76 of 6,081
  Looks like an interesting product, and kudos to Shure for investing in the R&D for something like this. Personally, I wouldn't touch it unless Shure provide a warranty on the cable connection into the IEMs of at least five years, preferably ten. Shure have very bad form on failure of fixed connection cables (as a previous SE500 owner I can vouch first hand for this).

Here! Here! I replaced SE500's due to cabling until Shure (effectively) told me to go away. So I did.

Oct 22, 2015 at 9:00 AM Post #78 of 6,081
Hope I ever get to hear it one day (CanJam Singapore?).

Oct 22, 2015 at 9:03 AM Post #79 of 6,081
Can someone explain to me how electrostatic works and why it's better than my current 12 driver CIEM. thanks.
I dont think the 12 drivers iems sounds good enough to keep.

Oct 22, 2015 at 9:05 AM Post #80 of 6,081
  Can someone explain to me how electrostatic works and why it's better than my current 12 driver CIEM. thanks.

It's explained in the video, you know :wink:
Basically it's very low mass diaphragm with little resonance. It just different. Ultimately it all depends on your preferences. Give it a listen if you can and judge for yourself.

This seem like a great product though, and nice progress for the industry. I would love to try it out :wink:

BTW. I get it why shure didn't go for detachable cable - that way they protect their technology better - ie. there will be no after market cable rolling, no one will get hurt by high voltage and it possibly prevents anyone from copying it as similar design using the same standard.

Oct 22, 2015 at 9:11 AM Post #82 of 6,081

It's explained in the video, you know :wink:
Basically it's very low mass diaphragm with little resonance. It just different. Ultimately it all depends on your preferences. Give it a listen if you can and judge for yourself.

This seem like a great product though, and nice progress for the industry. I would love to try it out :wink:

Can't watch the video right now.  I think i'll probably never be able to give this a listen.

Oct 22, 2015 at 9:16 AM Post #83 of 6,081
atsmile.gif
 ​mmm.....one question: will the SHURE KSE 1500 sound isolating electrostatic earphones (I like saying that by the way).....so, the SHURE KSE 1500 sound isolating electrostatic earphones come in........................ciem form factor? No? Yes? Maybe?  Shure, are you here? Becase we all know that CIEMs are FAR, FAR superior to universal in-ears, right???? And because if there is even a 10% chance that a CIEM version is in the works, it will be a major thing, right?????

Oct 22, 2015 at 9:31 AM Post #84 of 6,081
Oct 22, 2015 at 9:33 AM Post #85 of 6,081

I will have to give these a try, I use to have the Stax SR-002MKII portable and loved them. The Stax where unreliable, I finally gave up after I went through 4 sets.

The Shure would appeal to me more if they did one without the DAC, I use analogue setup hence no need for a DAC. I do hope they eventually make a non DAC version. 

Oct 22, 2015 at 9:37 AM Post #86 of 6,081
I will have to give these a try, I use to have the Stax SR-002MKII portable and loved them. The Stax where unreliable, I finally gave up after I went through 4 sets.

The Shure would appeal to me more if they did one without the DAC, I use analogue setup hence no need for a DAC. I do hope they eventually make a non DAC version. 

The entire DAC can be bypass using bypass feature.

Oct 22, 2015 at 9:40 AM Post #87 of 6,081

In the video Jude says "it's amp that's also a DAC" and you can see Line input near LEMO connector. So you get both DAC and AMP.

Oct 22, 2015 at 9:40 AM Post #88 of 6,081
mmm......since the amp/dac system is proprietary Shure (it only works with the KSE 1500 and, at best, a future revision of the KSE 1500), the system  price of 3000 bucks is just a bit too rich. Apart from the novelty of a portable electrostatic, universal in-ear, it is priced near TOTL HEADPHONE territory like the 3000 bucks Hifiman HE 1000. What I'm saying is: I'm just a bit skeptical (to say the least) that the listening experience afforded by the expensive KSE 1500 is at par with the Hifiman HE 1000. Or is it good enough to replace the Hifiman HE 1000?

Oct 22, 2015 at 9:48 AM Post #89 of 6,081
  mmm......since the amp/dac system is proprietary Shure (it only works with the KSE 1500 and, at best, a future revision of the KSE 1500), the system  price of 3000 bucks is just a bit too rich. Apart from the novelty of a portable electrostatic, universal in-ear, it is priced near TOTL HEADPHONE territory like the 3000 bucks Hifiman HE 1000. What I'm saying is: I'm just a bit skeptical (to say the least) that the listening experience afforded by the expensive KSE 1500 is at par with the Hifiman HE 1000. Or is it good enough to replace the Hifiman HE 1000?

Mmmmmm...., but is it really fair to compare them directly to the HE1000?

You can't realistically walk around town wearing HE1000s.... (size, lack of isolation, etc, etc.)

If one only ever uses head-fi gear at home or in the office, then (arguably) just buy fullsize cans for the superior head-stage.

All I'm suggesting is that it's different horses for different courses...

Oct 22, 2015 at 9:52 AM Post #90 of 6,081
It sucks that the cable is not removable. The memory wire on the cable that came with my SE846s broke after about six months.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back