Shure SE846 Impressions Thread
May 6, 2020 at 9:37 PM Post #20,716 of 22,954
While the 846 sounds really good with simple sources (I often just use it straight out of my iPhone/iPad), it also scales very well with better sources. So, it’s really the best of both worlds. Just watch out for the output impedance.

Yes you are right :)

May 6, 2020 at 11:32 PM Post #20,717 of 22,954
While the 846 sounds really good with simple sources (I often just use it straight out of my iPhone/iPad), it also scales very well with better sources. So, it’s really the best of both worlds. Just watch out for the output impedance.
The "better sources" are defective. The Lightning adapter and iPad 3.5 mm out are transparent with < 1 ohm output impedance and cannot be audibly improved upon for the SE846.

May 7, 2020 at 1:05 AM Post #20,719 of 22,954
The Apple USB-C to 3.5mm adapter is ideal for the SE846. It's dead silent and has < 1 ohm output impedance. Many desktop amps will have an audible noise floor on the SE846. There is zero benefit to upgrading beyond the $9 Apple dongle. You can also us the Apple Lightning to 3.5mm adapter with a Lightning to USB adapter.

Actually dont have any Apple products but thanks. I do like to use it with my DFC/S9 and use it on my desktop PC occasionally (using the DFC).

I was trying to find a simple solution to upgrade my desktop DAC primarily for my speakers since I have found that I use headphones/IEMs less during the day now that I am working from home (and after being stuck at home social distancing and working nonstop for 6 weeks, I have developed an itch to upgrade something). Desk space is a premium so I was searching for something that can also drive sensitive IEMs. I was looking into some smaller DACs/AMP combos with preout functionality so I was curious if anyone used their SE846 in a desktop setup. I am now leaning toward just continuing to use my Cobalt and just picking up an integrated amp with a DAC and USB input to drive my speakers. Thanks for the feedback and responses.

Last edited:
May 7, 2020 at 5:23 AM Post #20,720 of 22,954
The "better sources" are defective. The Lightning adapter and iPad 3.5 mm out are transparent with < 1 ohm output impedance and cannot be audibly improved upon for the SE846.

1588842566725.png

Actually dont have any Apple products but thanks. I do like to use it with my DFC/S9 and use it on my desktop PC occasionally (using the DFC).

I was trying to find a simple solution to upgrade my desktop DAC primarily for my speakers since I have found that I use headphones/IEMs less during the day now that I am working from home (and after being stuck at home social distancing and working nonstop for 6 weeks, I have developed an itch to upgrade something). Desk space is a premium so I was searching for something that can also drive sensitive IEMs. I was looking into some smaller DACs/AMP combos with preout functionality so I was curious if anyone used their SE846 in a desktop setup. I am now leaning toward just continuing to use my Cobalt and just picking up an integrated amp with a DAC and USB input to drive my speakers. Thanks for the feedback and responses.

My needs were similar to yours. On my main desk I use a Dangerous Source for both speakers and headphones, including the SE846. It does have an audible noise floor with the Shures but I just use the inline volume attenuator that came with them to turn it down until it's inaudible, before using the Source's volume as normal. When my wife increases my allowance (lol) I'll likely get the iFi IiEMatch to take over this duty.

I really like the sound of the 846 through the Source, it's easily a step up compared to my V30. There's definitely other options out there which are arguably better suited for use with iems, but with the need of using one piece of equipment to route your speakers and headphones, it becomes incredibly suited to this, with individual volume controls for each.

11217754.jpg

Last edited:
May 7, 2020 at 8:31 AM Post #20,721 of 22,954
May 7, 2020 at 10:26 AM Post #20,722 of 22,954
Ok. I guess sometimes I just like defective sound, you know....for variety.

May 9, 2020 at 11:52 AM Post #20,723 of 22,954
1588842566725.png

My needs were similar to yours. On my main desk I use a Dangerous Source for both speakers and headphones, including the SE846. It does have an audible noise floor with the Shures but I just use the inline volume attenuator that came with them to turn it down until it's inaudible, before using the Source's volume as normal. When my wife increases my allowance (lol) I'll likely get the iFi IiEMatch to take over this duty.

I really like the sound of the 846 through the Source, it's easily a step up compared to my V30. There's definitely other options out there which are arguably better suited for use with iems, but with the need of using one piece of equipment to route your speakers and headphones, it becomes incredibly suited to this, with individual volume controls for each.

11217754.jpg
Thanks. Thats pretty neat.

I ended up just getting a NAD D3045 for my desktop PC. It has aptX HD so I will probably pair my SE535/BT-2 to it and just use my Cobalt when I want to use the SE846.

Not sure if he headphone out is any good but looked like it has an output impedance at 2ohm. Seemed like he cleanest (most space saving) solution for me for now until we love to a bigger place.

May 14, 2020 at 9:56 PM Post #20,724 of 22,954
I've just listened to the SE846 for the first time and got the impression that the bass sounds tighter with the balanced filter, more so than with the warm filter, making it even sound more impactful. Is this the general consensus?

Last edited:
May 15, 2020 at 12:33 AM Post #20,727 of 22,954
Can't wait to try my Effect Audio Leonidas here. Have just ordered an MMCX to 2 pin (female) connector. This will most likely improve soundstage and separation by quite a bit.

MMCX_2PIN_EARPHONE_ADAPTER_OE_2_1024x1024.jpg

This connector will do it, right?

Last edited:
May 15, 2020 at 1:58 AM Post #20,728 of 22,954
Actually they have the best bass I have ever heard from a IEM.

One of the best IEM's I've heard so far and I'm accostumed to IEMs 2-3x this price. This took me by surprise. Completely. Makes one rethink about his choices and excessive spendings.

Yea the se846 is criminally underrated in today's league of andromedas, moondrops and chifis. Not everyone's gonna like the way its treble is tuned on the blue and black filters, and many people will find the white filter too harsh in most contexts. But the extremely articulate bass and subbass, along with the creamy, close to mic mids, and realistic reproduction of timbre (at least to my ears) still fill a niche of its own. I've tried andromedas time and time again (tip rolled and cable rolled), and while I can appreciate how breathtaking those are, the se846 still warms my heart and hits me deep above the andros.

I think whether you like se846 or not still comes down to a couple of things: whether you are tilted towards holographic or realistic reproduction of stage, upper treble shimmer, sharpness of treble, the tips, the fit and... Well. The cable.

Many demo sets use the olive foams of the wrong size, plus they don't allow u to swap filters. The thin nozzle also prevents proper tip rolling. Plus, the shells are insanely comfy in medium or larger ears, but on small ears (like my wife's) they can cause issues. These factors tend to turn off a good number of people when they first demo it. I also believe cable rolling and balanced output make a big difference, but the naysayers will immediately dismiss it and slap a few more downvotes.

If those factors mentioned don't work out for you, you're unlikely to like the se846s. But if they do, you'll probably really really like them.

May 15, 2020 at 2:08 AM Post #20,729 of 22,954
Yea the se846 is criminally underrated in today's league of andromedas, moondrops and chifis. Not everyone's gonna like the way its treble is tuned on the blue and black filters, and many people will find the white filter too harsh in most contexts. But the extremely articulate bass and subbass, along with the creamy, close to mic mids, and realistic reproduction of timbre (at least to my ears) still fill a niche of its own. I've tried andromedas time and time again (tip rolled and cable rolled), and while I can appreciate how breathtaking those are, the se846 still warms my heart and hits me deep above the andros.

I think whether you like se846 or not still comes down to a couple of things: whether you are tilted towards holographic or realistic reproduction of stage, upper treble shimmer, sharpness of treble, the tips, the fit and... Well. The cable.

Many demo sets use the olive foams of the wrong size, plus they don't allow u to swap filters. The thin nozzle also prevents proper tip rolling. Plus, the shells are insanely comfy in medium or larger ears, but on small ears (like my wife's) they can cause issues. These factors tend to turn off a good number of people when they first demo it. I also believe cable rolling and balanced output make a big difference, but the naysayers will immediately dismiss it and slap a few more downvotes.

If those factors mentioned don't work out for you, you're unlikely to like the se846s. But if they do, you'll probably really really like them.
I hate to say this but I've tried the Campfire Audio ATLAS (1400€) and they're garbage compared to this. Literally.

Last edited:
May 15, 2020 at 2:20 AM Post #20,730 of 22,954
I hate to say this but I've tried the Campfire Audio ATLAS (1400€) and they're garbage compared to this. Literally.

Haha no need to be sorry for that. I've seen a lot more toxic hate comments in audio (in Head-Fi and outside of it). Everyone has their preferences, and market demand will eventually tell you how successful a product is at filling its niche.

I didn't get the Atlas either when I auditioned them, and I couldn't figure out what was wrong with them. They didn't sound big like most people said they were. I read that Campfire units could have variance issues though, and in my experience, I've also tried Andros that sounded vastly different in different stores (controlling for tip rolling). However I have read comments from many people who're super happy with them too, so, power to them!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back