Shure SRH1540 Review
Apr 17, 2024 at 12:00 PM Post #2,671 of 2,679
Apr 27, 2024 at 2:16 PM Post #2,672 of 2,679
I always seem to come back to the Sony Signature DAP/Shure SRH1540 headphones pairing. I had surgery for a completely torn quadricep tendon yesterday, and I am stuck in a recliner for 6 weeks.

20240427_131333.jpg20240427_121104.jpg20240427_101231.jpg

Apr 28, 2024 at 3:15 PM Post #2,673 of 2,679
I always seem to come back to the Sony Signature DAP/Shure SRH1540 headphones pairing. I had surgery for a completely torn quadricep tendon yesterday, and I am stuck in a recliner for 6 weeks.

First couple of nights are always the most difficult ones after surgery. Hope you managed that and are doing OK. I still remember the sound of hammering and drilling while in anaesthesia from my ACL surgery 15 years ago. :smile:

Back to the topic, while reviewers tend to "hate" the midbass on the SRH1540, it is actually the reason why I keep coming back to it. :heart_eyes:

Apr 28, 2024 at 3:32 PM Post #2,674 of 2,679
The SRH1540 is also very easy to drive so sometimes I also add a resistor to the signal so I can have some more granularity in the volume control -- may be only an issue with Desktop amps though.
1714332151478.png

Resistor above is 30 ohms and here is a link in case anyone is interested: https://www.aliexpress.com/item/3256802053872716.html

Apr 28, 2024 at 3:47 PM Post #2,675 of 2,679
I wonder how many of the mid-bass complaints are from people that didn't own them long enough for the pads to break in. Because I hear so many criticisms about characteristics that mine just doesn't have.

Apr 28, 2024 at 4:14 PM Post #2,676 of 2,679
I wonder how many of the mid-bass complaints are from people that didn't own them long enough for the pads to break in.

My theory is that reviewers do instant A/B against transducers with less midbass. In those situations, the beefy midbass will always sound bloated and muddy.
giphy.gif

To cut to the chase, I don't trust any YT reviews these days because of the above. No wonder why scooped lower-mids is so popular. People call it "clean midrange". :unamused:

Beefy midbass may need some time for the brain to adjust, but afterwards is pure bliss. Team mud here, a.k.a., Sinatra on steroids. :muscle:

Apr 28, 2024 at 5:32 PM Post #2,677 of 2,679
First couple of nights are always the most difficult ones after surgery. Hope you managed that and are doing OK. I still remember the sound of hammering and drilling while in anaesthesia from my ACL surgery 15 years ago. :smile:

Back to the topic, while reviewers tend to "hate" the midbass on the SRH1540, it is actually the reason why I keep coming back to it. :heart_eyes:
Absolutely. I listened to them more than the Empyrean, when I had it on tour.

Apr 29, 2024 at 5:01 AM Post #2,678 of 2,679
My theory is that reviewers do instant A/B against transducers with less midbass. In those situations, the beefy midbass will always sound bloated and muddy.
giphy.gif

To cut to the chase, I don't trust any YT reviews these days because of the above. No wonder why scooped lower-mids is so popular. People call it "clean midrange". :unamused:

Beefy midbass may need some time for the brain to adjust, but afterwards is pure bliss. Team mud here, a.k.a., Sinatra on steroids. :muscle:
While youtubers have access to more gear, they still need views and have their own preferences. Some seem to give their honest opinion and description even when when the gear might not be to their preferences while others will push their conclusion as universal facts. My impression is that a lot of "head-fi only" people have developed a preference for the sound that would come out of small stand mount speakers instead of something that is close to full range.

I do watch some youtube reviews, but I often collect data from multiple sources and try to correlate their findings with my personal experiences. There are some youtubers that I do find helpful, but there are also a lot of youtubers that I do not trust at all. In the end the opinion of a youtuber with a large following is no more relevant than someone who posts his honest opinion on a forum. Reproduction of sound is about enjoyment and personal preferences that increase that enjoyment are much more important than what some person with a youtube channel says.

May 8, 2024 at 11:16 AM Post #2,679 of 2,679
Got these to replace my HD280 headband which had a fit that was starting to bug me (once the stock headpads wore off):

https://www.amazon.ca/dp/B09299BMRX

These are a lot shorter than the stock pads, but it covers the exact contact point with the headband and my head and nothing more. Width is absolutely perfect.

I found the stock headpads to be quite uncomfortable, and these ones I can't feel at all.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back