Shure SRH840 - First Impressions
Feb 6, 2010 at 5:17 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 10

Mysteek

100+ Head-Fier
I received them today =] I just wanted to share my thoughts about them so far.

My setup is:
Macbook Pro (Mid 2009) -> Headphonia Lyrix Pro USB DAC + AMP -> Shure SRH840's.

First impressions:

Without even time for break-in, these sound great. Comparable to my Beyerdynamic DT880's, but this may be because I don't have a good enough amp to really drive those. I hear that the Shure's were made to be easy to drive.

The highs and mids are great (perhaps not excellent), but right now the bass is a bit too overpowering.

I really hope that after burn in, the bass blends better with the rest of the spectrum.

By the way, unlike the Beyerdynamic DT880's, the Shures sound significantly better with an amp, where the DT880's only improved a tiny bit with an amp. Again, this is why I feel that maybe my amp isn't cutting it with the Beyer's.

I think my next purchase might be the Maverick D1.

Sorry if I didn't provide enough insight, this wasn't meant to be a full fledged review.

Feb 6, 2010 at 5:28 PM Post #2 of 10
I just received mine yesterday! I've got a similar setup, although currently without an amp (recent Macbook pro source). Just curious - where did you pick up the Headphonia and would you recommend it? I think my next addition's going to be a portable amp, perhaps amp/DAC combo.

Feb 6, 2010 at 7:44 PM Post #3 of 10
I agree with how much the 840s change with an amp. I like them fine w/out an amp (use w/ iPod at work) but with an amp the sounds becomes so much fuller in the lower end. Yes... it is a bit overpowering (only about 50 hours for me, but at the same time not really expecting it to change much).

Great for some songs =D

Feb 6, 2010 at 8:01 PM Post #4 of 10
I can't run my SRH840 without an amp now, it's just not the same anymore

Feb 6, 2010 at 8:49 PM Post #5 of 10
I have been using the SRH840s for the last month and this is my first expensive/mid-fi headphone .. running it unamped from rockboxed iPod and am completely wowed by it.. I really cannot wrap my head around and imagine how sound can be further improved
smily_headphones1.gif
need to get my hands on a nice amp ..

Feb 6, 2010 at 9:39 PM Post #6 of 10
Quote:

Originally Posted by nobleacuff /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I just received mine yesterday! I've got a similar setup, although currently without an amp (recent Macbook pro source). Just curious - where did you pick up the Headphonia and would you recommend it? I think my next addition's going to be a portable amp, perhaps amp/DAC combo.

Headphonia.com

=] I bought it directly from them.

I highly recommend it, but I've only used like 3-4 amps before and this happens to be the best I've used.

The difference amped and unamped is huge. Instrument separation is the most noticeable difference and the bass is more punchy and fun sounding.

EDIT: I don't think the Lyrix Pro is being sold anymore, but I hear the Arrow from them is even better anyway in every aspect.

Feb 6, 2010 at 10:38 PM Post #7 of 10
I find the clarity and balance on these quite nice.

Mar 6, 2010 at 5:43 AM Post #9 of 10
Hi all,

Just checking back in. By now I've got about 100 hours of burn-in and these cans are just amazing. Easily the best sounding I've ever owned and I couldn't be happier. They sound great and are very comfortable to wear (although my ATH-A700's are a close tie in terms of comfort) .

I have to say, I do think they could have done something a bit more impressive with the exposed wires on sides. I keep thinking they're going to catch on something and I wish they were enclosed somehow. However, as long as they don't break it's not that big of a deal.

Based on everyone's feedback it sounds like an amp is the next must-have. Really appreciate the info and I think I'll start shopping in earnest later this month. Can't wait to hear how these can sound amplified.

Cheers!

Mar 6, 2010 at 5:56 AM Post #10 of 10
If you look at the design, I'm not really sure how else they could have done it. The adjustable headband has made it so. Take your time finding a suitable amp and remember to bring your lawnmower so you can cut through the thick bs grass
wink.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back