Shure SRH840a
Jan 11, 2022 at 12:06 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 178

tripey

New Head-Fier
Just got these today. I've been testing out a bunch or headphones for audio production and the SRh840 was the most balanced (for me) for tracking vocals but the build quality seems very poor. Someone in this forum suggested the 840a... I had no idea Shure just released these! Build quality is way better! Lighter too! At first I thought these were a bit brighter but now listening to these and the 840 back to back they're very similar. There's something different about the 840a.. I can't quite tell yet. (I don't dual headphone outputs so I have to unplug > plug) I think the 840a might have a bit more bass to it. So far I'm liking these.

Attachments

• IMG_20220111_115805.jpg
    IMG_20220111_115805.jpg
    1.9 MB · Views: 0
  • IMG_20220111_115828__01.jpg
    IMG_20220111_115828__01.jpg
    3.4 MB · Views: 0
Jan 14, 2022 at 10:39 AM Post #4 of 178
Can you describe sound (quality) differences with old version, does it sound thinner? Subbass boost? Treble energy? More 3d sound maybe?
Thanks in advance.
I haven't sent back the 840s yet so I can listen to them both and report back. But so far it seems like the Highs and the Lows are boosted a little bit. Im not 100% certain but when I first put the 840as on I was a little disappointed they didn't sound the same. They still sound good to me though! Because I have a pair of dt700x here right now and the 840s sound "smoother" to me and the 840as are pretty close to the 840s. The 840as are lighter and feel less clunky when putting them on but honestly once the 840s are on I don't even notice their clunkiness.

Jan 15, 2022 at 6:33 AM Post #7 of 178
Im very happy with my SRH 840A!
I compared them with:
AKG K371
AKG K271mk2 (my trusted workhorse...)
Beyer DT700ProX

My favorite is the Shure SRH840A !
I like the fit and comfort (almost like my 271) but they just sound so much better!
Bass extension isnt as deep as on the 371, but still very good and ofc by far better than on my 271.
Midrange is smooth and warm. Vocals Sound close and not thin - just the way I like it.
Trebles are similar to the 371 but just a tad smoother. Less spikey than on the DT700.

Drums sound punchy, guitars sound natural with a well balanced midrange!
I will not only use it for recording - its a headphone that I like also for listening.

I keep the AKG371 - cause they give a different perspective. Overall balanced but a little more distant than the 840A.
I send back the DT700ProX - I realy wanted to like them. They have the best build quality! They have the big, fluffy earcups.
They have a wide soundstage, very well balanced in bass and midrange.
But I didnt like the clamping pressure, and I found the 4100Hz dip to be real (not just shown in measurements).
Did some sinewave tests and had to raise 4100Hz by 12dB to make it balanced with the rest.
The big earcups and wider soundstage also leads to a more "distant" sound. Vocals didnt seem so close and intimate.
Im sure some people will love the DT700...but they are not my cup of headphones :)

Last edited:
Jan 15, 2022 at 9:43 AM Post #9 of 178
I bought 840, and after 4 days I saw that 840A appeared.
Maybe I would still buy 840, because I measured them and listened to them.
I checked with the manufacturer for the differences.

Here are the answers to my questions:
The new SRH840 model is radically different from the previous model.
1. New drivers and new acoustic characteristics. The design is more strict and modern. The headband is reinforced with metal (increased strength). A straight cable is included (a twisted cable is available optionally). It is possible to connect a cable with a headset (available optionally).
2. Ear pads are different. Approximate sizes of ear pads inside 45x65x15 mm, outside 90x110 mm.
4. The sound has changed (new speakers and new frequency response settings).
We recommend that you change and be sure to listen to the headphones before buying.
5. The previous version of the SRH840 has already been discontinued, but both models will be sold for some time, since the previous version is still in the warehouses of Shure distributors.
ps: Shure, answers questions quickly and efficiently.

I have a question for users who have both 840 and 840A.
Is the depth of the ear pads different? What is the difference between ear pads?
Is the minimum size of 840 and 840a the same? (when I was wearing 440 in the store, they didn't press close enough to my ears).
And of course the most important question is, what is the difference between the sound.
Thanks)

Jan 15, 2022 at 10:08 AM Post #10 of 178
Im very happy with my SRH 840A!
I compared them with:
AKG K371
AKG K271mk2 (my trusted workhorse...)
Beyer DT700ProX

My favorite is the Shure SRH840A !
I like the fit and comfort (almost like my 271) but they just sound so much better!
Bass extension isnt as deep as on the 371, but still very good and ofc by far better than on my 271.
Midrange is smooth and warm. Vocals Sound close and not thin - just the way I like it.
Trebles are similar to the 371 but just a tad smoother. Less spikey than on the DT700.

Drums sound punchy, guitars sound natural with a well balanced midrange!
I will not only use it for recording - its a headphone that I like also for listening.

I keep the AKG371 - cause they give a different perspective. Overall balanced but a little more distant than the 840A.
I send back the DT700ProX - I realy wanted to like them. They have the best build quality! They have the big, fluffy earcups.
They have a wide soundstage, very well balanced in bass and midrange.
But I didnt like the clamping pressure, and I found the 4100Hz dip to be real (not just shown in measurements).
Did some sinewave tests and had to raise 4100Hz by 12dB to make it balanced with the rest.
The big earcups and wider soundstage also leads to a more "distant" sound. Vocals didnt seem so close and intimate.
Im sure some people will love the DT700...but they are not my cup of headphones :)
Thank you very much for sharing your impressions of them.

What do you think of the comfort? I see the pads a little shallow and I don't know if my ears will contact with the mesh inside (anyway, I will check in some days :relieved: ). The headband seems to be very comfort from the pics... Do the pads produce sweating or hot after extended periods of time?

Jan 15, 2022 at 11:24 AM Post #12 of 178
I bought 840, and after 4 days I saw that 840A appeared.
Maybe I would still buy 840, because I measured them and listened to them.
I checked with the manufacturer for the differences.

Here are the answers to my questions:
The new SRH840 model is radically different from the previous model.
1. New drivers and new acoustic characteristics. The design is more strict and modern. The headband is reinforced with metal (increased strength). A straight cable is included (a twisted cable is available optionally). It is possible to connect a cable with a headset (available optionally).
2. Ear pads are different. Approximate sizes of ear pads inside 45x65x15 mm, outside 90x110 mm.
4. The sound has changed (new speakers and new frequency response settings).
We recommend that you change and be sure to listen to the headphones before buying.
5. The previous version of the SRH840 has already been discontinued, but both models will be sold for some time, since the previous version is still in the warehouses of Shure distributors.
ps: Shure, answers questions quickly and efficiently.

I have a question for users who have both 840 and 840A.
Is the depth of the ear pads different? What is the difference between ear pads?
Is the minimum size of 840 and 840a the same? (when I was wearing 440 in the store, they didn't press close enough to my ears).
And of course the most important question is, what is the difference between the sound.
Thanks)
Actually I'm happy Shure designed a new driver and a new robust frame. Soundwise Old Shure srh840 was perfect to me. The only thing that I want is a little bit bigger soundstage. I hope bodied, thick sound of the previous model, remains same.

Jan 15, 2022 at 11:27 AM Post #13 of 178
I haven't sent back the 840s yet so I can listen to them both and report back. But so far it seems like the Highs and the Lows are boosted a little bit. Im not 100% certain but when I first put the 840as on I was a little disappointed they didn't sound the same. They still sound good to me though! Because I have a pair of dt700x here right now and the 840s sound "smoother" to me and the 840as are pretty close to the 840s. The 840as are lighter and feel less clunky when putting them on but honestly once the 840s are on I don't even notice their clunkiness.
Hmm, sounds like Shure has adopted a more consumer-friendly tuning, choosing to boost the highs and lows a little.

That sounds like my cup of tea, really. I'm already sold on its design; they look a lot more upmarket and classy than its predecessor.

Thanks for your impressions. :)

I have also became an early adopter of this model, after chatting a lot this afternoon about with a fellow head-fier :beerchug:

Also, my Denon AH-D9200s will go to the classifieds tomorrow (I will change my avatar :wink: )
Sony MDR-Z1R incoming, my friend? :wink:

Jan 15, 2022 at 11:46 AM Post #15 of 178
Hmm, sounds like Shure has adopted a more consumer-friendly tuning, choosing to boost the highs and lows a little.

That sounds like my cup of tea, really. I'm already sold on its design; they look a lot more upmarket and classy than its predecessor.

Thanks for your impressions. :)

Sony MDR-Z1R incoming, my friend? :wink:
I agree with you shure follow marketing demand with their latest iems and wireless Over-Ear models. But I'm on the neutral side, I hope they don't lose their enstrumental performans and seperation.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back