Singxer SA-1 / Balanced Amplifier Fully Discrete Class A - beyond THX 888 ?!
Mar 26, 2024 at 9:15 AM Post #2,521 of 2,563
I have commented before on this, but when there are over 2,500 posts in this thread, I feel obligated to steer people away from the Singxer SA-1 headphone amplifier for driving HiFiMan HE6se v2 headphones. Out of my large collection of amplifiers, the Singxer SA-1 falls into the category of not good enough when driving HiFiMan HE6se v2. It does not sound good compared to some of my other amplifiers that do sound amazing when driving HE6se V2.
My Singxer SA-1 does get almost daily use these days since my Singxer SA-1 is part of my office desk headphone rig regardless of it's relatively poor synergies pairing with my planar magnetic headphones of my collection. Why? Because the SA-1 is a good preamp for my Emotiva Monitors and subwoofer, that can operate cooler than my Schiit Jotunheim 2, HeadAmp GS-X Mini etc... I often leave my SA-1 powered on 24 hours a day and I don't have a concern for the heat.
While I much prefer my other headphone amplifiers over the Singxer SA-1. There are a small number of headphones that do pair well with the Singxer SA-1. some planars such as Audeze LCD-XC, and Monoprice M1570 do well pairing with SA-1. My Beyerdynamic and Sennheiser headphones pair well, but I have so many tube amplifiers that I usually use for them instead. The unique budget Monoprice AMT also pairs well with the SA-1.
So, I have to jump in this thread every once in a while to make the above statements. Mainly, I don't want anyone purchasing the Singxer SA-1 and wasting their money thinking that they would have end game pairing it with HiFiMan HE6se v2 headphones. It would likely be too much of a disappointment and money wasted when considering pairing with the HiFiMan HE6se v2 .
Are you still happy with your Rebel amp?

Mar 26, 2024 at 10:26 AM Post #2,522 of 2,563
I have commented before on this, but when there are over 2,500 posts in this thread, I feel obligated to steer people away from the Singxer SA-1 headphone amplifier for driving HiFiMan HE6se v2 headphones. Out of my large collection of amplifiers, the Singxer SA-1 falls into the category of not good enough when driving HiFiMan HE6se v2. It does not sound good compared to some of my other amplifiers that do sound amazing when driving HE6se V2.
My Singxer SA-1 does get almost daily use these days since my Singxer SA-1 is part of my office desk headphone rig regardless of it's relatively poor synergies pairing with my planar magnetic headphones of my collection. Why? Because the SA-1 is a good preamp for my Emotiva Monitors and subwoofer, that can operate cooler than my Schiit Jotunheim 2, HeadAmp GS-X Mini etc... I often leave my SA-1 powered on 24 hours a day and I don't have a concern for the heat.
While I much prefer my other headphone amplifiers over the Singxer SA-1. There are a small number of headphones that do pair well with the Singxer SA-1. some planars such as Audeze LCD-XC, and Monoprice M1570 do well pairing with SA-1. My Beyerdynamic and Sennheiser headphones pair well, but I have so many tube amplifiers that I usually use for them instead. The unique budget Monoprice AMT also pairs well with the SA-1.
So, I have to jump in this thread every once in a while to make the above statements. Mainly, I don't want anyone purchasing the Singxer SA-1 and wasting their money thinking that they would have end game pairing it with HiFiMan HE6se v2 headphones. It would likely be too much of a disappointment and money wasted when considering pairing with the HiFiMan HE6se v2 .
Not sure how "not good enough" it is for you, but it works fine for me and my HE6se v2.

I'm curious what sources you've tried. Once I switched to using a DAC with a high output voltage into RCA, I had no shortage of headroom. I've heard these headphones when they're underpowered by other amps, but the Singxer does just fine driving them. Beyond that, it's all down to personal taste. Sounds like you just don't like the sound of that particular combo. Fair enough. Everyone who owns these headphones seems to prefer a different amp with them. But personal taste seems a weird reason to "steer people away" so adamantly from a combo that works for me and many others.

Might another amp be a better match for the HE6se v2? Sure. But if I only have space and budget for one desktop amp that can drive all of my headphones and IEMs, I'd rather have a clean, reliable, versatile amp than one that specializes at only driving my HE6se v2.

Last edited:
Mar 26, 2024 at 10:40 AM Post #2,523 of 2,563
Speaking for myself, I have another amp that I prefer with the HE6se V2's.
This amp has always interested me for my more efficient 'phones, which is pretty much all the rest.
For me being a quiet listener, with a bunch of efficient/efficientish headphones, I think the logarithmic volume would give me lots of range to play with my collection.

Mar 26, 2024 at 4:58 PM Post #2,525 of 2,563
Well, DHL was a day late but from Shenzhen to my house in the San Bernardino Mountains in 4 days is pretty good, especially for anything purchased from AliX.

First thing out of the box...new knob

new knob.png

Edit: I'm listening to it SE because I don't have my aftermarket balanced cables for the Clear OGs yet and don't want to deal with stock Focal cables anymore. So far, I can already tell it has less of an edge that my other amp has. Less fatigue.

Last edited:
Mar 26, 2024 at 5:38 PM Post #2,526 of 2,563
Well, DHL was a day late but from Shenzhen to my house in the San Bernardino Mountains in 4 days is pretty good, especially for anything purchased from AliX.

new knob.png

Edit: I'm listening to it SE because I don't have my aftermarket balanced cables for the Clear OGs yet and don't want to deal with stock Focal cables anymore. So far, I can already tell it has less of an edge that my other amp has that I found fatiguing.
Yes it definitely smooths out the sound of my elex. Good on some recordings but a bit too tame on others. Very different than my Rebel amp.

Mar 26, 2024 at 5:45 PM Post #2,527 of 2,563

new knob.png

Edit: I'm listening to it SE because I don't have my aftermarket balanced cables for the Clear OGs yet and don't want to deal with stock Focal cables anymore. So far, I can already tell it has less of an edge that my other amp has that I found fatiguing.
Is that an aftermarket knob ?

Mar 26, 2024 at 6:30 PM Post #2,530 of 2,563
Have been connected with the Hiby balanced 4.4 to the amp via XLR, tried 4.4 blanced from Hiby to RCA and apart from louder it also seems to sound better.
Is this my imagination or is this a fact ?

Mar 26, 2024 at 11:07 PM Post #2,531 of 2,563
Are you still happy with your Rebel amp?
Oh YES! I still LOVE my Rebel Audio RebelAmp! Absolutely amaze-balls when paired with planar magnetic headphones. It will forever be in my collection for planar headphone listening. However, for dynamic driver headphones my Singxer SA-1 other solid state headphone amplifiers will pair better than the RebelAmp. Or, I just jump the dynamic drivers on a tube amplifiers for some tubey headphone listening.

Mar 27, 2024 at 12:02 AM Post #2,532 of 2,563
the Singxer does just fine driving them. Beyond that, it's all down to personal taste. Sounds like you just don't like the sound of that particular combo. Fair enough. Everyone who owns these headphones seems to prefer a different amp with them. But personal taste seems a weird reason to "steer people away" so adamantly from a combo that works for me and many others.

Might another amp be a better match for the HE6se v2? Sure. But if I only have space and budget for one desktop amp that can drive all of my headphones and IEMs, I'd rather have a clean, reliable, versatile amp than one that specializes at only driving my HE6se v2.
For listeners of HiFiMan HE6se v2 searching for a versatile amplifier, the $600 Singxer SA-1 can fulfill this purpose with compromise at the $600 expenditure that some can live happily with. Instead, I suggest those same listeners of HiFiMan HE6se v2 searching for a versatile amplifier, compromise at a lower budget of $400 for the Schiit Jotunheim 2. Not only would they save $200, they then would have an extremely versatile headphone amplifier that pairs better with the HiFiMan HE6se v2 and offers close to the performance of pairing (both reduced and greater) with a greater percentage of headphones. A better entry cost and often times better pairings.
I think that headphone and IEM listeners that are happy with the Sinxer SA-1 as their one and only main headphone amplifier should remain happy with their purchase. However, those that are purchasing blindly with no experience listening to many amplifiers would be better off with $200 cheaper Schiit Jotunheim 2 unless, they are willing to spend $200 additional for specific benefits of the SA-1 such as producing less heat, IEM performance benefits, and superior preamp switch that cuts off headphone output. $600 and $400 is a big difference for budget minded folk. I think the Jotunheim 2 makes a lot more sense for most of these consumers.

Last edited:
Mar 27, 2024 at 12:16 AM Post #2,533 of 2,563
Must be a good lot of fun having so many amps to swap in and out of a system. I bet you can really tell when something works and when it doesn't. I think as the Singxer is the only one I have known, I'm certainly not qualified to know how good it is, but it performs it's job for me, so no complaints. I'm sure if you hooked up some other amps I might have a second coming moment so probably better for my wallet if I don't 😂
Like I stated, I use my Singxer SA-1 almost daily and there are many good reasons why I do so. You have a wonderful amplifier with the SA-1 already. No need to go down the expensive rabbit hole of amplifier second guessing/swapping when you already own the SA-1. It DOES pair extremely well with certain headphones and adequately well with many others. You are already set.

Last edited:
Mar 27, 2024 at 12:37 AM Post #2,534 of 2,563
Like I stated, I use my Singxer SA-1 almost daily and there are many good reasons why I do so. You have a wonderful amplifier with the SA-1 already. No need to go down the expensive rabbit hole of amplifier second guessing/swapping when you already own the SA-1. It DOES pair extremely well with certain headphones and adequately well with many others. You are already set.
Wise advice!

Mar 27, 2024 at 12:37 PM Post #2,535 of 2,563
Oh YES! I still LOVE my Rebel Audio RebelAmp! Absolutely amaze-balls when paired with planar magnetic headphones. It will forever be in my collection for planar headphone listening. However, for dynamic driver headphones my Singxer SA-1 other solid state headphone amplifiers will pair better than the RebelAmp. Or, I just jump the dynamic drivers on a tube amplifiers for some tubey headphone listening.
It's amazing with people's experience in regard to headphone and amplifier synergy. I find the Rebel works great with my hd650 and hd600.
I find the hd600 sounds very mediocre with my singxer being on the thin,dull side. The 650 is ok and my 660s sounds excellent on the sa1.
My only planar is the old hifi man 400i which is absolutely horrible with the Rebel. On the other hand,my focal elex works beautifully with it.
I find the senns have a very smooth silky character on the Rebel with tons of headroom.
Using the singxer se input. But let's not forget the gain is raised to 17 db vs 11db balanced so power is not an issue. A number of reviewers found no difference in power( se vs bal )because of that gain increase.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back