Singxer SA-1 / Balanced Amplifier Fully Discrete Class A - beyond THX 888 ?!
Feb 6, 2021 at 12:38 PM Post #31 of 2,563
Received my SA-1 today. It's plugged in with Singxer SDA-6 DAC along with Nordost Tyr2 cables (power cord, XLR, USB) and testing with Beyerdynamic T1 3rd gen. Despite the T1s being 32ohm and 100db sensitivity, I have to use high gain on the SA-1 to drive the T1.3 adequately. I'm using the single-end cable so far, I'm awaiting the Beyerdynamic balanced cable that should arrive this week. Out of the box the sound signature is in line with the SDA-6, smooth, detailed and musical. Compared to the Violectric V100 headphone amp, the SA-1 is more musical and a bit smoother. Detail level is similar. Bass is deeper on SA-1. But so far soundstage and bass control is better on the V100. I will see if the SA-1 improves after a while. Overall it's a great bargain at $539 on Drop.

Feb 6, 2021 at 1:11 PM Post #32 of 2,563
Received my SA-1 today. It's plugged in with Singxer SDA-6 DAC along with Nordost Tyr2 cables (power cord, XLR, USB) and testing with Beyerdynamic T1 3rd gen. Despite the T1s being 32ohm and 100db sensitivity, I have to use high gain on the SA-1 to drive the T1.3 adequately. I'm using the single-end cable so far, I'm awaiting the Beyerdynamic balanced cable that should arrive this week. Out of the box the sound signature is in line with the SDA-6, smooth, detailed and musical. Compared to the Violectric V100 headphone amp, the SA-1 is more musical and a bit smoother. Detail level is similar. Bass is deeper on SA-1. But so far soundstage and bass control is better on the V100. I will see if the SA-1 improves after a while. Overall it's a great bargain at $539 on Drop.
Balance cable will improve bass and soundstage separation much better. And good you start with se cable so you will notice the jump later

Feb 6, 2021 at 1:47 PM Post #33 of 2,563
I am also very impressed with the SA-1 that I received yesterday from Drop. Where did you buy your Singxer SDA-6 DAC?

Feb 6, 2021 at 2:03 PM Post #34 of 2,563
I am also very impressed with the SA-1 that I received yesterday from Drop. Where did you buy your Singxer SDA-6 DAC?
I got the SDA-6 "advanced" version online from Magna Hifi. This is a keeper for sure.

Feb 6, 2021 at 2:58 PM Post #35 of 2,563
I switched it back to low gain, on deep bass tracks the bass is tighter and better controlled on low gain with the 32ohm Beyerdynamic T1.3.

Feb 6, 2021 at 4:06 PM Post #36 of 2,563
I switched it back to low gain, on deep bass tracks the bass is tighter and better controlled on low gain with the 32ohm Beyerdynamic T1.3.
My first impression is that I prefer the SA-1 on low-gain with my Meze Empyrean and Ether 2, with plenty of power for either headphone. Since it's somewhat inconvenient to change those 4 switches, I'll probably just leave it on low-gain. The DAC I'm using is a Singxer SDA-2 (also from Drop), which is sounding very good, but I may order the SDA-6. I also have a Chord Qutest DAC, but its only output is not balanced. The SA-1 seems to sound best with balanced input.

Last edited:
Feb 6, 2021 at 4:07 PM Post #37 of 2,563
Feel free to turn the volume to max if you need so. It is not a car engine to worry about ;p

Feb 6, 2021 at 4:12 PM Post #38 of 2,563
My first impression is that I prefer the SA-1 on low-gain with my Meze Empyrean and Ether 2, with plenty of power for either headphone. Since it's somewhat inconvenient change those 4 switches, I'll probably just leave it on low-gain. The DAC I'm using is a Singxer SDA-2 (also from Drop), which is sounding very good, but I may order the SDA-6. I also have a Chord Qutest DAC, but its only output is not balanced. The SA-1 seems to sound best with balanced input.
For sure it sound better with balance headphone output but I think SE input maybe not critical for it. Can you test more with Qutest 3v mode :)

Feb 6, 2021 at 7:30 PM Post #39 of 2,563
For sure it sound better with balance headphone output but I think SE input maybe not critical for it. Can you test more with Qutest 3v mode :)
OK, that's a clever idea. I've never before used the Qutest in 3v mode. I've just now set it for 3v output and connected to the RCA inputs on the SA-1. That makes it slightly louder than the XLR input, so it seems to sound better, but may be an illusion. My quick impression is that the 3v Qutest on RCA input now sounds better than the Singxer SDA-2 DAC on XLR input. This will require extended listening. Thankfully I don't hear any adverse effects like clipping. Thanks for your suggestion!

Last edited:
Feb 6, 2021 at 11:51 PM Post #40 of 2,563
OK, that's a clever idea. I've never before used the Qutest in 3v mode. I've just now set it for 3v output and connected to the RCA inputs on the SA-1. That makes it slightly louder than the XLR input, so it seems to sound better, but may be an illusion. My quick impression is that the 3v Qutest on RCA input now sounds better than the Singxer SDA-2 DAC on XLR input. This will require extended listening. Thankfully I don't hear any adverse effects like clipping. Thanks for your suggestion!
FYI, I feed SA-1 with 6.8v with XLR. No clipping

Feb 7, 2021 at 6:43 PM Post #41 of 2,563
I got the SDA-6 "advanced" version online from Magna Hifi. This is a keeper for sure.
Thanks for the information. I'm now using my Chord Qutest DAC with the SA-1 and really liking the sound. At first, I was reluctant to use the Qutest because it only has RCA outputs. However, the Qutest indeed sounds way better with the SA-1 than the Singxer SDA-2 DAC on XLR input. Do you have any opinion on whether the Singxer SDA-6 Advanced would be an upgrade over the Qutest?

Feb 8, 2021 at 3:07 AM Post #43 of 2,563
@VeeAndBobby How do you compare GS-X mini to SA-1 if you still have the mini ?
Good question. Yes I still have the HeadAmp GS-X mini. I'm a bit surprised to find I actually prefer the SA-1, considering the price difference. They are both excellent. In comparison, the HeadAmp sounds just a bit dry. The SA-1 is a bit warmer with a very intimate, inviting sound. Vocals are amazing. It is easier to visualize singers and instruments.
A caveat: It is possible I could change my mind with extended listening to the SA-1. At first, I liked the Topping A90, but began to realize it didn't sound quite right to me in the high frequencies.
For now, I'm liking the SA-1 a lot, with my Chord Qutest DAC, and Meze Empyrean. The SA-1 is set to low-gain and low-Z. I've also used my Ether 2 and Shure SE846 with very good results with the SA-1.

Singxer-SA-1 (2).jpg

Last edited:
Feb 8, 2021 at 9:35 AM Post #44 of 2,563
Thanks for the information. I'm now using my Chord Qutest DAC with the SA-1 and really liking the sound. At first, I was reluctant to use the Qutest because it only has RCA outputs. However, the Qutest indeed sounds way better with the SA-1 than the Singxer SDA-2 DAC on XLR input. Do you have any opinion on whether the Singxer SDA-6 Advanced would be an upgrade over the Qutest?

I never had a chance to hear any Chord products yet (hopefully one day) nor the Singxer SDA-2. I'm guessing though that the SDA-6 even in its advanced version is slightly better than SDA-2. I would not think it's drastically better though. If you find the Qutest sounding way better than SDA-2 then I'm quite sure the Qutest will sound better than the SDA-6 in your setup. Honestly the biggest improvement on my side is the cable upgrade with Nordost Tyr2 all around (power, xlr, usb) especially the power cords but I don't want to start a cable debate here :)

Feb 8, 2021 at 2:39 PM Post #45 of 2,563
I never had a chance to hear any Chord products yet (hopefully one day) nor the Singxer SDA-2. I'm guessing though that the SDA-6 even in its advanced version is slightly better than SDA-2. I would not think it's drastically better though. If you find the Qutest sounding way better than SDA-2 then I'm quite sure the Qutest will sound better than the SDA-6 in your setup. Honestly the biggest improvement on my side is the cable upgrade with Nordost Tyr2 all around (power, xlr, usb) especially the power cords but I don't want to start a cable debate here :)
No debate needed, cables definitely make a difference, although I hesitate to spend that much. My interconnects between Qutest and SA-1 are 0.5M Straight Wire Virtuoso R; not a current model, I've had these for many years. They are also based on silver-plated high purity copper.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back