Sludge Metal Appreciation Thread
Nov 18, 2010 at 5:04 AM Post #47 of 58

Quote:
I'll bump the thread with a bit of HALO. Awesome Noise/Sludge I reminded myself about not so much time ago...

Also: Sleep and Torche as Sludge? For me it was just Stoner Doom/ Stoner Metal...

Wow, that's so nihilistic.  I like it.  Reminds me a little of this band.  Not really sludge but who cares

Jan 25, 2012 at 8:28 AM Post #48 of 58
What headphones handle sludge/doom well? What should I be looking for? I'm not exactly up to scratch with the terms used to describe headphones, but I've been looking at the D2000 and FA-200 (woodback) and was wondering whether you guys could give me some direction? What should I be looking for? Are either of these cans good?

Jan 26, 2012 at 2:59 AM Post #49 of 58
Well I use Pro900 which are a bass heavy phone. They're as punchy as all get out but can be overblown on some material. High enjoyment factor if you really dig the bottom end of the spectrum.

Apr 30, 2014 at 4:54 PM Post #50 of 58
Resurrecting this old thread! I absolutely love Windhand and thought this was one of the best albums of 2013. The only one that topped it was SubRosa with More Constant Than The Gods.

I need recommendations for this kind of stoner rock/doom/sludge metal. I'm looking at the Audeze LCD-2, Sennheiser HD650, and Beyerdynamic DT 770 Pro 250 ohm currently. What do you all think will be the best match? One of these or something else? My current headphones don't have the kind of bass extension, forward mids, and recessed highs that I'm looking for in this genre.

Apr 30, 2014 at 9:52 PM Post #51 of 58
  Resurrecting this old thread! I absolutely love Windhand and thought this was one of the best albums of 2013. The only one that topped it was SubRosa with More Constant Than The Gods.

I need recommendations for this kind of stoner rock/doom/sludge metal. I'm looking at the Audeze LCD-2, Sennheiser HD650, and Beyerdynamic DT 770 Pro 250 ohm currently. What do you all think will be the best match? One of these or something else? My current headphones don't have the kind of bass extension, forward mids, and recessed highs that I'm looking for in this genre.

That is some seriously fat stuff, I'm loving it.

If you don't already have some Electric Wizard, that should probably be your first port of call.
Other than that there is a lot of good stuff on Southern Lord, Stephen O'Malley's label, though some of it tends more towards drone and doom.

Uncle Acid is also a current favourite. As the name implies there are some psychedelic influences on the heaviness (think Blue Cheer and that crowd).

Oh, and much can be mended with a little EQ :wink:

Apr 30, 2014 at 11:43 PM Post #53 of 58
  That is some seriously fat stuff, I'm loving it.

If you don't already have some Electric Wizard, that should probably be your first port of call.
Other than that there is a lot of good stuff on Southern Lord, Stephen O'Malley's label, though some of it tends more towards drone and doom.

Uncle Acid is also a current favourite. As the name implies there are some psychedelic influences on the heaviness (think Blue Cheer and that crowd).

Oh, and much can be mended with a little EQ :wink:

Glad you're enjoying it, I need to see them live some day.

I have Electric Wizard's entire discography, I love them. Also need to see them live. Southern Lord is a wonderful label, I got addicted to them with Burning Witch.

Thanks for the Uncle Acid link, they're awesome as well!

I've tried EQing, but it hasn't made me happy yet. I also use Spotify a lot and I don't know if there is a decent eq add-on or anything for it. In the end I'm just itching to have the LCD-2's.

May 1, 2014 at 12:04 AM Post #54 of 58
Yeah there definitely are some limitations to EQ.

Can't help you too much with headphones I'm afraid, but I can say that during all my years in this hobby I think no single piece of equipment has had such universal and lasting approval as the LCD2. The only other real contender for that honour would be the HD650.

If you can spare the dosh I'm sure you'd be happy with either.

May 1, 2014 at 12:14 AM Post #55 of 58
I wish I could make up my mind on which one I want to pick up. Probably going to go for the LCD-2, it will probably provide everything I want, with the Grados providing a bright headphone for when I want that and the K550s for portable use and when I need isolation. Hopefully after all of that plus my other gear, my audiophile needs might be sated for more than a month.

May 1, 2014 at 5:53 PM Post #56 of 58
If you come visit us in the Sound Science sub-forum, I'm sure we can help quench your thirst for more than just a few months. 
A little technical insight can work as veritable Antabuse in this hobby. :)

Continuing with a little more Sludge. Well, they shake things up a bit too much to be simply classified as that, but most of the time they move about in that general area.

Norway's own Årabrot:

May 1, 2014 at 6:13 PM Post #57 of 58
I hope this hasnt been posted already, I find the intro riff of this song to put me just in the right mood when going to work in the morning .

Also it's more stoner rock than sludge metal, but the spiritual beggars have some very cool solos.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back