Somic EFi-82 MT: Believe the Hype
Jan 21, 2013 at 11:42 PM Post #16 of 331
Quote:
Wait. That was the original EFi-82. Apparently the PRO and the MT are good.

My bad!

But see if you can cancel that order.

Also: the X12 pads aren't great on it. These really need a BIG pad to shine. The Shures fit in the loosest way imaginable.

HM5 pads fit?

Jan 22, 2013 at 11:01 AM Post #18 of 331
Hi

Can someone please compare the Somic EFI-82 EMT/PRO or Somic MH463 with the felt modded
JVC HA-RX900? I have the JVC's with the felt mod, toilet paper in the cups mod and paper towel in the pads mod - it sounds amazing in any genre and movies too!

Would any of these Somics be an upgrade to the modded HA-RX900?

I don't care about wasting 50$, just don't want to wait a month to be disappointed...

regards,

Ben.

Jan 22, 2013 at 3:30 PM Post #20 of 331
Quote:

Your profile has listed the S500......can you compare them to the S500, as I have two pair modded.  Would like to hear your impressions with these two!

Certainly! I'm swamped with homework for tonight, but I can definitely get that up soon.

Here's some stuff I've already said about them:

Quote: (Discovery Thread)
I just got Somic EFi-82 MTs in the mail from Guangzhou. These things are serious business.

Picture a more neutral JVC HA-S500, only over-ear and a larger soundstage.

Essentially, take the S500, remove everything people don't like about it, and cut the price in half.

Crazy.

As I get more ear-time, I will definitely update you all with impressions.

Quote: (Somic Thread)
The Uptown treble was a tiny bit emphasized to me, but not nearly as much as the S500. The Uptown is like the S500, but mellowed out in the treble and bass a bit. The EFi-82 MT is like the S500, but really mellowed out in the treble and bass (this is a neutral set).

I still prefer the EFi-82 MT, but both are excellent and worth owning. The MH463 has a very Sennheiser-ish sound signature: neutral overall, but with a bit of a veil. The EFi is more like a neutral JVC HA-S500. Both are excellent, but given the choice, I'd pick the EFi.

Quote: (Somic Thread)
MH463 has a tiny bit of a veil, so it's a Sennheiser sort of warm. The EFi 82 has a tiny smudge of consumer "bump" in the bass section, but not much. From everything I read, this would be sort of like a Denon sound, but I've never auditioned a Denon set. They aren't bass monsters, or even what I'd call bass emphasized, but kick drums have a nice "punch" to them. Extension is solid on both. Soundstage is excellent on both, but the MH463 has a slightly larger one to my ears. This is to be expected because they are open-backed. I prefer the Efis, but you get a great headphone either way for $50 or less.

Jan 22, 2013 at 5:11 PM Post #21 of 331
popcorn.gif
Subbed!

Jan 22, 2013 at 10:52 PM Post #25 of 331
Quote:

Oh no.....I thought you had to be over 16 to troll here. 
tongue.gif

Cute, my god i am so disappointed in you. That is LOW even for you! How dare you say that our OP Cash is not welcome to this forum simply because he is so young?!!! He has every right be post here, and this is HIS thread, c'mon show some respect. That's "ageism"!!!
tongue.gif

Jan 24, 2013 at 6:26 PM Post #27 of 331
Quote:

Your profile has listed the S500......can you compare them to the S500, as I have two pair modded.  Would like to hear your impressions with these two!

Despite cute's malicious and insensitive harassment, I will fulfill this request. xD

So, when I do comparisons, I like to listen to take notes on both sets.

Bitch Bad- Lupe Fiasco

JVC HA-S500:

Low Eb (40Hz?) not present
Middle synth hidden
Hi-hats super-obvious, but not sibilant
Especially great with snare/hi-hat rolls   

Somic EFi-82 MT
Low Eb present, but faint. 

[size=11.0pt][/size]
Middle synth still hidden, but louder.
Vocal layering in chorus jumps out in a pleasant way.

[size=11.0pt][/size]
Background snare rolls obvious, but not "sparkly".

Levels- Avicii

JVC-HAS500:

Kick drum at :34 dominating

Hi-hats inside of synth obvious
Lead synth gets nasally
Loud reverbs until 22 seconds.                                                                                 
Kick Drum has very heavy sub-bass presence.

EFi-82 MT

Lead at forefront in intro.

[size=11.0pt][size=11pt][/size][/size] Hi-hat inside of synth hidden.
Lead synth gets slightly nasally.

Reverbs sound more atmospheric.
Kick not sub-bassy at all, bass is at head of low-end.

Adorn- Miguel

JVC HA-S500

Kick drum has no mid/treble presence. 
Bass about 40 degrees. (use the top line of numbers on a protractor to find the positioning)
Vocals sound veiled.

Bass nice and punchy.
Falsetto gets piercing.

Somic EFi-82 MT:

Kick has a slight treble presence.

Bass at about 30 degrees.
Vocals clear, but hard clipping.
Bass sort of messy.

No awkward falsetto issues.

Fort Knox-Goldfish

JVC:

Bass, 30 degrees.
Vocals sound recessed on first chorus. 

Snares are AWESOME. Nice and crisp.
Hi-hats are noticeably bright.
Main vocal line and higher harmony in second chorus equal volume.
Speaking vocals at the end about 160 degrees.

Somic:

Bass, 20 degrees.

Vocals at the forefront in verse and chorus.
Snares are dark sounding and nondescript.

Hi-hats are present, but utilitarian. In and out.

Low part is louder than high part in chorus.
Drum roll/speaking at end about 170.     

Gold on the Ceiling- Black Keys:

JVC:
Static noticeable on the guitar in the intro

Guitar distortion a bit grating.
Great with the acoustic guitar.

Somic:

Static? What static?

Guitar distortion is A-OK. Sounds good.

Acoustic guitar very quiet, but timbre is spot-on.

Vocals recessed, as per the recording.

Cinnamon Tree- Esperanza Spalding

JVC:

Vocals at forefront         

Bass timbre is "off", too bloated
Strings/piano are right about where they should be

Somic:

Vocals at forefront.
Bass somewhat bloated, but punchy.
Guitar at about 170 degrees.

Strings and piano are a bit quiet.
[size=11.0pt][/size]

Here's the relative soundstage of the two sets. I thought that this would be a decent way to show it. This is all subjective, mind you. I didn't actually measure it with anything but my fingers and a protractor on the screen.

To my ears, the JVC was more of a fun, consumer signature, while the Somic was, while definitely engaging, more of a neutral set. The JVC has deep bass and a bright treble, but often fails to represent vocals well for this reason. Also, with the overtone series being a thing (TL;DR: the timbre/tone of voices and instruments is created by very quiet frequencies, usually in the mids and treble.), a lot of instruments just sound..off. Basses get bloaty, drums get sparkly. Still, for electronic music and a fist-pumping portable (at $70, nonetheless), it's a great deal.

The Somic EFi-82 MT, on the other hand, is much more balanced and mellow. Instruments are right where they should be, tone wise, due to a fairly neutral (if slightly dark) frequency response. Soundstage, like the diagram mentions, is superb. Additionally, the Somic's excel with vocals and have a certain "airiness", for lack of a better term, on well mastered tracks. The treble is very utilitarian. It gets in, gets out, doesn't sparkle, shine or do too much. The upper mids, however, get a bit bright, but are never fatiguing.

The EFi-82 MT has a longer cable (without extensions), but the JVC-HAS500 has a very nice L-jack. At this point, it's just nit-picking, but the JVC HA-S500 does feel a bit better. I dropped my Somic once and it made a very nerve-wracking sound. Fortunately, it's OK, but I will definitely baby them in the future.

Feel free to ask questions.

Thanks,
Will.

Jan 24, 2013 at 6:47 PM Post #28 of 331
Quote:
Despite cute's malicious and insensitive harassment, I will fulfill this request. xD

C'mon, you said you had a high IQ......all did was ask politely for something you agreed to provide three days ago!   LOL.

Thanks for taking the time comparing the two........................................................But I hear my Cute S500's way differntly than you do yours!  I will have the Somics on Saturday, and soon after I will have some impressions, and comparisons to my S500's!

Jan 24, 2013 at 6:55 PM Post #29 of 331
I don't think it would take much to open up the sound stage over the HA-S500. That was the one real complaint I had on my reviewed pair. Great comparison Cash. I look forward to them for certain. The way you describe them I am wondering how far off something like the Sony V6 is in comparison.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back