Somic mh4XX in-ear headphones reviews
Sep 18, 2013 at 5:09 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 23

xdog

Head-Fier
Chinese company Somic, makes few in-ear headphones in its mh series:
401,403,407,410,417 (with the 'i' versions with microphone)
Since there is no source of information about those iems, it makes even hard to choose one for random testing.

I own the mh407 and mh410 currently, so now I'll just make a very short summary about these models (later I'll add something more later, since I have to relisten to them)

mh407:
Those use balanced armature unit (I think that they use 2 of those, however I'm not really sure).
And the sound is outstanding (at least the mids), they have large level of detail and clarity.
The bass is there and is actually good, maybe it does not go down deep.
The highs, hmm.. I don't remeber.
In summary those iems in sound signature kind of remaind me of sennheiser ovation headphones.

There are also very lound (kind of 20% loundness on my phone is equivalent to ~60% of loundness for rest of iems).

The one problem is that due to their low impedance - 12ohm (and sensitivity) on some devices some buzzing is noticable.

I was actually really impressed with those.
(ps there is some italian review of these iems)

mh410:
Those are quite bright headphones, they have some aggresiveness, the bass is noticable, but is weak.

I only heard/found some (short) opinions about:
mh401 - bass spills to lower mids
mh403 - the opinion was negative

Sep 19, 2013 at 3:44 AM Post #3 of 23
I've gave them additional try yesterday.

Mh407: I'm actually still very impressed, dynamics and detail are one of the best I've heard, at least in the mids, as there are some deficiencies in low end and high end (or saying it otherwise they are not U shapped).

Actually listening to everything on these iems is nice, at least if it is demanding (there are better and cheaper choices for EDM/hip-hop, like hd381) [manly because the vocals sound fantastic]

Mh410: OMG, they are so aggresive and bright (but they are kind good at it), everything is edgy (espacially guitars), and you can here the siblance. The bass is basically eaten by the mids, which are in turn eaten by the highs (if you can get to the bass it is kind of ok for classical music/jazz but for hiphop/edm it will not suffice).

410 sounded kind of good with soft/alternative rock (cranberries, green day,...) but metal (tristania,epica) was unberrable

PS: I've listenem to them only for 2-3 hours (from what 1 hour was yesterday), so those effects might diminish with time (and I think that actually happened during time)

Sep 19, 2013 at 10:56 AM Post #5 of 23
Maybe the term "deficiency" regarding mh4010 is not the right word,
I would say that there is no 'extra bass' in those headphones, however it is there and is really good
(kind of in sennheiser ovation way).
The highs are somewhat lacking something, but actually I would not expect that much from an iem.
And generally I'm happy with the purchase

Sep 24, 2013 at 11:39 AM Post #7 of 23
  Maybe the term "deficiency" regarding mh4010 is not the right word,
I would say that there is no 'extra bass' in those headphones, however it is there and is really good
(kind of in sennheiser ovation way).
The highs are somewhat lacking something, but actually I would not expect that much from an iem.
And generally I'm happy with the purchase

I meant the mh407,
also found out that there is mh405 heaphone

Sep 27, 2013 at 10:07 AM Post #8 of 23
Got the mh401 yesterday. Very nice packaging for a $20 earphone.

I LOVE the magnet feature, and anti-tangle cable. The shell is magnetized and they snap together into a T-formation. Very cool. They also use memory foam tips, which I like much better than silicone for isolation, comfort, and better sound.

They can be driven easily from a smartphone, and they have powerful, impressive sub-bass for an 8.6mm driver. HUGE bass, nice and clear, and it doesn't muddy the mids or highs at all. The bass does spill into the lower mids a bit, but EQ easily corrects it. It is one of the only earphones/headphones that I don't need to EQ more bass into to satisfy me. Mids are very slightly recessed, and highs seem neutral.

Out of the box, it doesn't match the mid clarity that my RE-400's have, but the bass capability is much more impressive. 1 hour in, and I'm liking them alot so far. I like them better than my Philips SHE3590 and Monoprice 9927 as my new favorite budget earphone.

Hoping that dealxtreme will actually send my mh407's and not just stick me with an empty box like they did.

Oct 25, 2013 at 7:44 PM Post #13 of 23
Oh wow, these MH407s are no joke.

They are as clear as the A161P, without the aggressive treble. I like the 407s better.

They lack bass just like the RE-400, but have better response and extension up high. They might be just as good. They don't respond to EQ down low though, where the RE-400 does and can get a nice deep bass.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back