Sonicweld/Cryo-Parts Diverter 96/24 USB to SPDIF Review
Nov 24, 2009 at 8:40 PM Post #286 of 318
With the cans you mention, I can see how a $400 program doesn't make fiscal sense. Though I would argue there are definitely other cans and high-end DACs that include USB input could be used tell a difference.

If I had a Mac, I'd still try it with my phones. I've heard it with HF-2, it sounds better then iTunes to me. It certainly is cheaper then the Diverter to try as it has a free demo.

Nov 24, 2009 at 8:55 PM Post #287 of 318
Quote:

Me and PJ do currently attend the School of Only HD800 Liking.

Add me to the list. In fact I sold the Denons D7000's at the event last weekend. As good as they are, I find that I only desire listening to the HD800's now.

As for the Diverter-Josh and Lee were kind enough to let me use the demo unit for a few days after the meet. I must say the latest version is a fantastic sounding product. The resolution of my system has never been higher. I don't want to give it back.

Nov 24, 2009 at 10:58 PM Post #288 of 318
Quote:

Originally Posted by santacore /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Add me to the list. In fact I sold the Denons D7000's at the event last weekend. As good as they are, I find that I only desire listening to the HD800's now.

As for the Diverter-Josh and Lee were kind enough to let me use the demo unit for a few days after the meet. I must say the latest version is a fantastic sounding product. The resolution of my system has never been higher. I don't want to give it back.

The HD800's are a great phone, indeed, although I can understand why some don't particularly enjoy them, my first couple of months with them I had a love/hate relationship with them. It took me a while to find the right ancillary components, and other goodies, to get them to really sing. However, once all my ducks were in a row, I was sold. In fact, I sold all 11 sets of other cans that I owned (I kept my ED9's and will probably still order some PS1000's), as I found that when I sat down to listen to cans and not the speaker rig, the HD800's were getting the nod over the others. That told me something...

Enjoy the Diverter! Glad you have a chance to spend a few extra days with it, the extra time will really help you to get a handle on its "sound".

I've been saying this for 25 years, and I'll continue to say it--I find that quick impressions are fine and dandy, but almost worthless...at least to me. Unless the component is grossly colored and/or defective, a few minutes, or even a day, with a new piece of high end gear is not enough to get to the heart of its character. Personally, I have to "live" with something for a while to really come to a firm conclusion about it and what it offers in the context of my own system.

Feel better John!

Lee

Nov 24, 2009 at 11:59 PM Post #289 of 318
Just picked up the Diverter (demo) from John and am giving it a listen and a few minor comparisons to the usb input on my DLlll with the upgrade to the USB section with a Superclock and Superclock psu.

Nov 25, 2009 at 12:17 AM Post #290 of 318
Quote:

Originally Posted by dallan /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Just picked up the Diverter (demo) from John and am giving it a listen and a few minor comparisons to the usb input on my DLlll with the upgrade to the USB section with a Superclock and Superclock psu.

Have fun. FYI--The Diverter has a sophisticated re-clocking circuit built in as well.

Peace,

Lee

Nov 25, 2009 at 12:58 AM Post #291 of 318
Thanks for the chance to come at this with a fresh perspective with my new set up. I tell you though, even with this set up I can tell that there have been changes from generation 2. My system is much more revealing now and I am really hearing the differences between the two inputs(Diverter vs direct dac). I have formed some opinions already but I don't want to put my foot in my mouth so I am going to give it some more time to settle in.

Nov 25, 2009 at 3:22 AM Post #292 of 318
I've read this entire thread in pieces and can't remember if the following link had been added already? It's very cool that the Diverter is gathering more and more attention! ramblings

Lee, do you know if Dave has any plans to go into a more in depth review in coming issues?

Nov 25, 2009 at 3:32 AM Post #293 of 318
Just got my answer in reading another thread on the Diverter. Looking forward to hearing more from Positive Feedback.

Nov 25, 2009 at 5:04 AM Post #294 of 318
Let me make one thing clear - Amarra is a subtle, but mildly pleasing difference. Diverter is an obvious, serious hardware gear upgrade, and can be easily heard.

Nov 25, 2009 at 5:21 AM Post #295 of 318
Dan, yes I do... the Diverter will be an ongoing project. And I agree about Amarra. Here at least the differences are subtle. It sounds good, but so does iTunes which sounds very good indeed. I have my theories why (the way I am tweaking the Mac and peripherals) as well as the Playback Designs player and how it 'sees' a digital input. Oh, and my system is resolving enough to hear any differences...

Nov 25, 2009 at 5:28 AM Post #296 of 318
Quote:

Originally Posted by David Clark /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Dan, yes I do... the Diverter will be an ongoing project. And I agree about Amarra. Here at least the differences are subtle. It sounds good, but so does iTunes which sounds very good indeed. I have my theories why (the way I am tweaking the Mac and peripherals) as well as the Playback Designs player and how it 'sees' a digital input. Oh, and my system is resolving enough to hear any differences...

Hey Dave,

Glad to see you found us over here!

Peace,

Lee

Nov 25, 2009 at 5:41 AM Post #297 of 318
I can easily hear the Amarra change itunes and I like what it does, taking the edge off for me. As far as the Diverter goes, when I put the demo on my system around six hours ago, it was like when you put any component inline, I could really hear a complete change in the sound. Actually not that different from Amarra only exaggerated and intensified.

Nov 25, 2009 at 6:26 AM Post #298 of 318
Quote:

Originally Posted by scootermafia /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Let me make one thing clear - Amarra is a subtle, but mildly pleasing difference. Diverter is an obvious, serious hardware gear upgrade, and can be easily heard.

I didn't find Amarra subtle, but I did find it mildy unpleasing.
tongue.gif

Nov 25, 2009 at 1:58 PM Post #299 of 318
Quote:

Originally Posted by David Clark /img/forum/go_quote.gif

Hi David,

I couldn't find much about the actual tail end of your rig in your article. About your system, what amplifier/speakers/headphones did you use to listen with?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back