Sony D-555 vs D-Z555?
Mar 20, 2006 at 7:12 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 16

ILuvSony

100+ Head-Fier
I just saw ads for the D-555 and D-Z555 on e-bay. They look the same, except one is in UK, the other one is in US.

Anyone know if there is any difference?
confused.gif

How much are these worth? One is going for $175+

Thank you!
biggrin.gif

Mar 20, 2006 at 10:17 AM Post #2 of 16
There is no difference between the D-555 and the D-Z555, they are both the same. They just have different model number designations depending on what part of the world they are being sold in. The D-Z555 designation is most often seen in the units that were sold in European and Asian countries while the D-555 designation is more common in the US.

Typically it would depend on it's phyical condition, if it comes with any other accessories, and if it functions flawlessly. A D-555 alone with no accessories in excellent condition and functions flawlessly can fetch $200+. A D-555 complete with all accessories, papers, original box, and functions flawlessly can fetch $400+ depending on who's in the market for one. Although I would never pay anywhere near those prices for a D-555, I seen some insane PCDP collectors on Ebay who would be willing to overpay at those prices.

Mar 20, 2006 at 6:52 PM Post #3 of 16
To pay that much for such an old CD player just feels suicidal to me. The machine will probably die on you in a year or two, it’s so old and rickety. The laser probably has 20 hours left on it for all you know.

*shakes head and walks off muttering*

rolleyes.gif

Sound wise, we all know none of these Sony PCDP's can hold a candle to a good CDP. So why not just get a bunch of cheap D-141's, that way you've got tons of spare laser pick up's, main circuit boards, chassis shells... you'd be able to get one working by scavenging parts, one way or another, for a good 10 years.. maybe much longer... who knows...
All for Less than the cost of 1 Sony D-555!

Yes sir, that's my plan
eggosmile.gif

Mar 20, 2006 at 7:07 PM Post #4 of 16
Yes, it's true you do take a risk in buying a vintage PCDP in that it could fail with in a matter of time. Which is why I wouldn't pay ridiculously high prices for them. It would depend on how well taken care of and how often that particular PCPD has been used. Unless you're handy at DIY and are familiar with electronics, simply replacing laser pick ups, PCBs, or other internal parts may be easier said than done. I have a D-555 where I am the first and original owner and it still functions flawlessly. How long will it last? Who knows, maybe a few more years maybe a few more days. At this point in time it's still going strong.

Mar 20, 2006 at 11:31 PM Post #6 of 16
What if it's guarenteed to be brand-new still shrink-wrapped? Like the user bought it in 1989 or whatever and never ever touched it for 15 years? It just sat there, sealed up, for 15+ years. Is that the best condition an item can be in?

Mar 20, 2006 at 11:49 PM Post #7 of 16
If it's in like brand new condition (pristine), meaning that the original box is also in excellent condition with no damage to it and all accessories and papers are there then yes it's the best condition an item can be. The PCDP should also function flawlessly without any issues. PCDPs that were sold in their cardboard boxes were never shrinked wrapped.

Mar 21, 2006 at 9:06 AM Post #8 of 16
I recently found my D-555 which I bought brand-new in 1991. It doesn't play (it has a difficult time tracking, it just keeps spinning the disc) so I took it in to a nearby Sony repair center. A few weeks later, they called me back and said they couldn't repair it. They don't have any replacement parts for the D-555 anymore.

Mar 21, 2006 at 11:39 AM Post #10 of 16
Quote:

Originally Posted by scratchyvinyl
I recently found my D-555 which I bought brand-new in 1991. It doesn't play (it has a difficult time tracking, it just keeps spinning the disc) so I took it in to a nearby Sony repair center. A few weeks later, they called me back and said they couldn't repair it. They don't have any replacement parts for the D-555 anymore.

But the beauty is that you can still put it on ebay, say it doesn't work, and still get probably $100 for it.

Chris

Mar 21, 2006 at 8:55 PM Post #11 of 16
Quote:

Originally Posted by 19lexicon78
it's the favourite sony pcdp in looks.

I haven't got one, unfortunate..
but those prices are insane.. 50 euro for a good one .. not more.

I too find it one of the nicest looking PCDPs ever...

I am currently on my second (and last, I hope) D-Z555, which is kept safely in the 'ld closet.
First bought a used unit on Ebay for 80€... which I ended up selling a few months later because I started doubting its long term reliability (had occasional music glitches...); I got app 200€ (my only sale to date on Ebay).

Well, I kind of regretted seeing it go... so I ended up buying a new in box
icon10.gif
unit from a German seller. Paid about 160€.
All accounted for, I got a new D-Z555 for just over 60€.
wink.gif

One of those lucky streaks, I guess...

Bruno

PS: I had both units serviced at Sony Portugal, because of a known capacitor issue (easy to solve)... My impression was that if a bigger repair was ever required, they wouldn't be able to find the necessary parts (out of stock).

Mar 21, 2006 at 10:01 PM Post #13 of 16
Quote:

Originally Posted by warubozu
Was the known capacitor issue affecting the volume level on one side (left or right side) thru the headphone out?

On my first D-Z555 headphone output the volume on both channels was very low.
On the second unit only one of the channels had low volume (can't remember which one, sorry...).
The line out always sounded OK.

In both cases, three SMD capacitors (100uf 6.3v) were replaced, as described a couple of other threads.

Bruno

Mar 21, 2006 at 10:10 PM Post #14 of 16
Thanks, yeah I thought that would be the problem as you have mentioned that it is a common problem in the D-555 and D-Z555. I have another D-555 that's currently sitting on the side with this capacitor problem where the left channel thru the headphone out is silent but the right channel works fine. Lineout works fine with no problems. May look into having Sony replace the failed caps.

Mar 25, 2018 at 3:11 PM Post #15 of 16
Dear All,

assuming there's still someone out there into this topic (refurbishment of a now almost 30-year old Sony D-Z555)...
I have managed to finally buy one for cheap (DOA), took some efforts to bring it back to life. Besides the caps, the main issues were a damaged trace underneath one of the leaking caps that has to be re-built and a stuck laser head. Responsible for the latter was the middle gear, totally blocked. Removing it caused damage (plastic broke) and therefore I had to source a replacement (got some fine, custom made brass gears).
As for the caps, I have replaced them with audio grade 1:1 equivalent. Radial caps were OK, so I didn't changed them.
Bottom line, the machine is back alive.
However, even though I must say I'm not an expert (not at all), I have noticed that some discs seem to be reproduced finely, some others not. In particular, even at the minimum volume, both channels are totally saturated, there seems to be no dynamic (on the display, gauges level is fixed at max on both L and R).
Any suggestion?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back