Sony EX1000 Review and Impressions Thread (with comparisons to FX700, GR10 and e-Q5)
Feb 14, 2011 at 2:59 PM Post #16 of 4,748
This sounds like what I might be looking for (sth akin to the IE8).  Something that doesn't just flaunt details but more so renders the music holistically. I find that to be more natural. Nevertheless,  I'll wait a bit because I love me some headphones with good treble extension. Great review and as usual nice choice in music.

Feb 14, 2011 at 3:59 PM Post #17 of 4,748
Glad to see a more proper review for the EX1000! They are good IEMs and I agree that they also have the best bass that I've ever heard as well.
smily_headphones1.gif

Feb 14, 2011 at 4:08 PM Post #18 of 4,748
Great job as usual @ James444. Luckily, these customs have made me not so easily tempted by new universals, but I'm always curious to read about the new kids on the block.

Feb 14, 2011 at 5:05 PM Post #19 of 4,748
Quote:
Nice Work! Didn't see that one coming.

Me neither. After looking at their FR-graph I had pretty much ruled them out. But then I read Mike's review and just wanted to know...

Quote:
I remember jant71 or someone else posting a picture of those tips a while ago. How are those tips with the foam inside the sony hybrid? Too bad they aren't available for individual sale

Also the Sony iem seemed to be pretty ridiculously priced but I guess james444 likes those kind of iems :p

Let's say he doesn't shy away from them :wink: Regarding those stuffed Hybrids, there's only very little foam inside, so I suspect they might be more placebo than anything else. I'm still gonna have to try them on some other IEMs that I can get a seal with.

Quote:
Very nice write-up.  I just ordered the EX1000 from Sony U.S.  I hope I like it.

Thanks, I hope so too and look forward to your impressions!

Quote:
WOW , Awesome review , you have rated them above the Fx700 i see !

And these have comparable timbre as well ! thats some thing i need to try now ( though i wont be buying one :frowning2:

I know you dont want customs but after buying the UM Miracle, i can say the high end customs do improve upon the sound by universals , quite a lot. Its not just seal . they produce a sweeter sound with awesome soundstage and imaging . Even more realistic timbre.
So please re-consider buying customs , james.

Thanks! Yes, the Sonys surprised me in many ways, but the quality of their timbre was maybe most unexpected. With all that talk about how the FX700's wooden housings were responsible for their exceptional timbre I was amazed to learn that the Sonys could do the same with their magnesium alloy body.

As for buying customs, if anything the EX1000 have distanced me further from considering that route than ever before. I've read the Headphonia review and this guy is comparing them to his JH16. I have no reason to doubt his description because he's pretty spot-on with the Sonys, but the thing is from his impressions I'd choose the EX1000 over the JH16 hands down. No offense, I don't doubt that you're happy with your UM Miracle, but it's different strokes for different folks. Speaking of which, the day I hear a pair of multi armature IEMs (universals or custom demos) that I like better than the Sonys, I'll gladly reconsider...

Quote:
Just when I thought I was out... they pull me back in!!
angry_face.gif
very_evil_smiley.gif

Sorry for that, don't take it personal.
rolleyes.gif

Quote:
Ok, first off the build looks really nice but the "made in china" makes it seem like a lesser product (had to mention it), it's too bad but good thing the build refutes that perception. 

That housing looks huge and the fit looks brittle like the DDMs. Again this could be way off in the hands on experience but looks make me skeptical. That mod made me giggle inside because it's pretty much something I came up with for the SM3s in which I placed a generic single flange in a reverse fashion at the very end and underneath of the triple flange I use.

On paper this had me really intrigued because of all the high quality parts used but then all of the impressions ruled it out as harsh/sibilant. This review makes it sound like I wish it did, which may or not be the case for me. They do seem to use some foam for equalizing the mids and highs and pretty sure a company like Sony would've at least taken it into consideration. 

For me the fit is much better than with the DDMs, that's why I was all the more baffled that I couldn't get a good seal. Regarding their alleged sibilance, I felt exactly the same, especially after having seen their FR-graph at sonove. You can imagine my amazement when I actually heard them and the first thing that came to mind was the SM3 with a few extra db in treble.

Quote:
Great review. Make me want to visit Sony Style Singapore just to try it out.

Thanks! I wish we had stores that carry such phones here in Vienna.

Quote:
This sounds like what I might be looking for (sth akin to the IE8).  Something that doesn't just flaunt details but more so renders the music holistically. I find that to be more natural. Nevertheless,  I'll wait a bit because I love me some headphones with good treble extension. Great review and as usual nice choice in music.

Take this with a grain of salt, but I consider the EX1000 the first IEMs I've heard that would make a good upgrade for an IE8 lover. Btw the Sony's highs do have good extension, they're just very polite - but so are the IE8's. Where these two differ most is soundstage, not so much in size but in forward projection. The IE8 place you pretty far from the stage, the EX1000 much closer.

Feb 14, 2011 at 6:59 PM Post #21 of 4,748

Quote:
Sorry for that, don't take it personal.
rolleyes.gif

Hehehe
biggrin.gif
 Despite my IEM binge I can't justify $500 at this point, maybe later if it gets cheaper!

Feb 16, 2011 at 2:19 AM Post #22 of 4,748
AFAIK the EX1000 have only just been released to the US market and $500 is the price at Sonystyle USA, which is the same as I paid for my Japan import. When they first hit Japanese streets in Autumn 2010, Sony were asking a whopping 62.000 Yen ($740). So street prices have been dropping by about 30% during the last three months and I would expect them to drop further to a more affordable level after the US market release.

Having said that, IMO they can become dangerous competitors to the FX700 once they hit $400 or less, considering they offer better isolation, a wider tip selection and removable cables with both a (really) long and short cable included.

Feb 16, 2011 at 2:30 AM Post #23 of 4,748
I am very very tempted myself. Hell I may just drop by a Sony Style Store (I work in a mall that has one) and probably give it a shot. Lets hope I don't get sibilance *knocks on wood (FX700s)*. 

Feb 16, 2011 at 3:38 AM Post #24 of 4,748
Waaaw, thanks for the review, I was really interested when these first came out though the price I couldn't justify spending that much, though hopefully soon it will be around $400 :D

Feb 16, 2011 at 7:06 AM Post #25 of 4,748
Thanks for the great compare. It's too bad you can't use stock tips so often. I haven't found another tip that works as well as those supplied with the Grados. Both warmer and more textural, especially up top. Fortunately those same big ears allow those Ortos be nearly as comfy for you.
bigsmile_face.gif
 I suspect the slight difference in bass in the MAs may have to do with the GR10s smaller housing which my understanding is also all metal by the way. Tips and insertion depth are quite noticable here and I find the sony tips shut the grado down a bit in extension on both ends and top air. I did try them with enough trimming to cover the silver portion. I'm sure you also used others so I'm not being critical here. Just an observation as I noticed the pic.

I really need to hear some of these expensive dynamics other than Monster. I bet they'd still be a bit too warm for me but It's one of those thing you need to try to find out. Surprised that the big hybrid didn't get it done on the Sony.

Feb 16, 2011 at 9:41 AM Post #26 of 4,748
Thanks goodvibes, I've added my answers to your quote below:

Quote:
Thanks for the great compare. It's too bad you can't use stock tips so often. I haven't found another tip that works as well as those supplied with the Grados. Both warmer and more textural, especially up top. Fortunately those same big ears allow those Ortos be nearly as comfy for you.
bigsmile_face.gif
 I suspect the slight difference in bass in the MAs may have to do with the GR10s smaller housing which my understanding is also all metal by the way.

I think this has been discussed before, but can't seem to find where. Anyway, just put them into the freezer for a few minutes, then touch both the silver and green part of the housing and tell me what you think...

Tips and insertion depth are quite noticable here and I find the sony tips shut the grado down a bit in extension on both ends and top air. I did try them with enough trimming to cover the silver portion. I'm sure you also used others so I'm not being critical here. Just an observation as I noticed the pic.

I concur with you about the top end and that's why I only recommended the Hybrids to those folks over in the GR10 thread who found them too bright. The tips in my pic are in fact not Hybrids, but JVC silicons. They sound similar to the Grado stock tips (= noticably brighter than the Hybrids), but give me a more secure seal. Like I said, I love the GR10 for their clarity and crispness, so I personally don't need Hybrids with them.

I really need to hear some of these expensive dynamics other than Monster. I bet they'd still be a bit too warm for me but It's one of those thing you need to try to find out. Surprised that the big hybrid didn't get it done on the Sony.

From what I've read about the Monsters I believe the Sonys would have less warmth. But according to my listening notes the GR10 are still "a few degrees" cooler than the Sonys, so it's really a thing to try out for oneself. Regarding the big Hybrids, I'm surprised too. They fit me with various other phones, but not their own EX1000. Puzzling.
confused.gif

Feb 16, 2011 at 10:20 AM Post #27 of 4,748
I thought somebody stepped on and scratched a pait of GR8s and said metal but I can't find that either.  Not that it's that important anyway. Thanks for the clarify. I sometimes wouldn't mind a warmer sound when on the go in noisier settings but it would be too warm for me when quiet. When it comes to portable, I don't think there's a perfect. Nice to have all these options.

Feb 17, 2011 at 8:50 AM Post #28 of 4,748
As always, a great review James! Yes FAD would do well to learn from Sony about cables and other practical usability issues. :)

Feb 17, 2011 at 6:44 PM Post #30 of 4,748
Ooh this also makes me so curious about the EX800ST. Unfortunately with my ears the EX1000 sounded a little harsh with some of the filtered electropop music I listen to, but the 800 seems like a tamer earphone with the same pedigree and a lower price.

In terms of high end dynamics it looks like either these or the Radius W21's...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back