SONY IER-Z1R
May 1, 2024 at 3:49 PM Post #15,272 of 15,290
@wolfstar76 just received email from MT that my BSEP is on the way, did you get one as well? Pretty sure we ordered around the same time?

May 1, 2024 at 4:08 PM Post #15,273 of 15,290
what cable forwards mids on z1r?
You already know....though just like the XBA-Z5 did, Sony mids at times maybe some folks may think they are a hair grainy at this proportion? But it is nice, never thought pure silver would be the ticket for the IER, but this cable is also what people use for the MDR-Z1R.

74B34B8A-118E-4E7E-9467-509347563901.jpeg
8DD82450-CB63-4806-B114-6654C479617C.jpeg

May 1, 2024 at 4:46 PM Post #15,274 of 15,290
@wolfstar76 just received email from MT that my BSEP is on the way, did you get one as well? Pretty sure we ordered around the same time?
Mine is already in local USPS, the email of shipping was on April 26th. Hopefully I will get the cable this weekend.

May 1, 2024 at 5:37 PM Post #15,275 of 15,290
Mine is already in local USPS, the email of shipping was on April 26th. Hopefully I will get the cable this weekend.
Cool. I'm away for a coupe of weeks so I'll miss mine, look forward to hearing what you think of it!

May 2, 2024 at 4:12 PM Post #15,276 of 15,290
Cool. I'm away for a coupe of weeks so I'll miss mine, look forward to hearing what you think of it!
Need more time to have any impression since I spent most of my time listening to the touring Oriolus Monachaa before I sent it out this Friday. But the initial short impression is, the improvement of sound quality is nuance, at least requiring some A/B test. I have wow moment from Code 24 for Quattro since the change is not subtle.

Will report back later.

May 3, 2024 at 8:01 PM Post #15,277 of 15,290
Cross posting from watercooler thread, my review for Brise Audio BSEP for Sony IER-Z1R is Here.

May 4, 2024 at 12:37 PM Post #15,278 of 15,290
It’s been a while since I logged on and check on this forums, but man after learning that possible discontinuation of the Z1R I couldn’t help but feel a little sad like the end of an era. I hope Sony has something great down the line, for now I’ll enjoy this amazing IER until they die on me.

May 4, 2024 at 4:34 PM Post #15,279 of 15,290
I am now listening with Z1R from my desktop DAC/AMP, it scales pretty well, with the BSEP cable, definitely still stand up to the current TOTL IEMs.

May 4, 2024 at 11:38 PM Post #15,280 of 15,290
These things are ****ing amazing. I tried going back to my IE600 last night and they felt so darn thin compared to the bass memory foam these things feel like they stuff my ears with.

I’m so so so happy I rolled the dice on these despite the fit concerns, they are perfectly fine in my ears.

May 9, 2024 at 10:28 AM Post #15,281 of 15,290
A very high level system for your IER-Z1R (FiiO Q15 + Astell&Kern AK PA10)

test1.jpg

May 9, 2024 at 9:02 PM Post #15,282 of 15,290
Hey guys,

I recently got the Z1R from a friend to demo and I have a question on the fit. Do you guys go for the eartips that are as small as possible for the most optimally deep fit or do you guys go for a more shallow fit? I find myself either using the ss tips to go for the deepest fit or going for the L tips that covers the wider opening of my ear canal and the second option is more comfortable while providing a bit more isolation. With the smallest ss tips, I'm probably able to push the iems further by a couple/few extra millimeters.

Sound-wise (which I think the fit will influence), I'm under the impression that the bass on the z1r is great with deep, rounded and impactful attack while having decay and rumble that, while noticeably present, is not as tactile as the Sennheiser ie900. I also find the treble on the z1r to be fantastic and actually consider it to be the z1r's calling card instead of the bass; it's stick impact and decay is wonderful and natural. I only find myself having to turn down the volume very occasionally when I was listening to energetic k-pop music when I was already at mid-high volumes. The sound when using the ss tips and the L sized tips don't seem too different me.

Are you guys having a similar experience with the z1r? I have pretty small ears so the z1rs still stick out just slightly when going for a deep insert so I was wondering if I was missing out on other sonic qualities of the z1r simply due to the fit that seems less optimal according to other z1r owners.

May 10, 2024 at 1:02 AM Post #15,283 of 15,290
Have you tried something in between? I'd find it hard to believe you can get a proper seal with both SS and L... (?)

May 10, 2024 at 1:35 AM Post #15,284 of 15,290
Hey guys,

I recently got the Z1R from a friend to demo and I have a question on the fit. Do you guys go for the eartips that are as small as possible for the most optimally deep fit or do you guys go for a more shallow fit? I find myself either using the ss tips to go for the deepest fit or going for the L tips that covers the wider opening of my ear canal and the second option is more comfortable while providing a bit more isolation. With the smallest ss tips, I'm probably able to push the iems further by a couple/few extra millimeters.

Sound-wise (which I think the fit will influence), I'm under the impression that the bass on the z1r is great with deep, rounded and impactful attack while having decay and rumble that, while noticeably present, is not as tactile as the Sennheiser ie900. I also find the treble on the z1r to be fantastic and actually consider it to be the z1r's calling card instead of the bass; it's stick impact and decay is wonderful and natural. I only find myself having to turn down the volume very occasionally when I was listening to energetic k-pop music when I was already at mid-high volumes. The sound when using the ss tips and the L sized tips don't seem too different me.

Are you guys having a similar experience with the z1r? I have pretty small ears so the z1rs still stick out just slightly when going for a deep insert so I was wondering if I was missing out on other sonic qualities of the z1r simply due to the fit that seems less optimal according to other z1r owners.
Yes, you describe the sound well. Most speak of the bass but it's actually Z1R treble that makes it the best all rounder I've heard, in my opinion. Both fits are 'correct', I can use Sony S tips for a deep fit, or M tips for a shallower seal. I get a good seal on both (easy to test seal, use a track with bass drums like Hotel California and check that they hit like they should).

As long as you're only inserting the nozzle up to the teardrop ridge on the shell, you're doing it right. Try shove it any further, like some people oddly try to do, and you'll have all sorts of fit issues. Look at the shape of the shell - the teardrop bulge just below the nozzle corresponds with the same cavity shape in our ears. It's literally designed to 'slot in', but you can also push it slightly further out with a larger tip if you don't mind the earpieces balancing on the tip itself.
Have you tried something in between? I'd find it hard to believe you can get a proper seal with both SS and L... (?)
As above, yes you can get a good seal.with both, one deeper, one shallower. Most say treble is less splashy with a deeper fit. I wear it that way because it's more comfortable and the nozzle is thin enough to do so. With IEMs with thicker nozzles I only have a shallow fit as an option.

May 10, 2024 at 2:23 AM Post #15,285 of 15,290
Hey guys,

Years after Years IER-Z1R is still my favorite IEM with (M9) ..
I tried and bought so many IEMs, but none can resist to an A/B comparison with Z1R (highs and ultra lows).
I went the opposite way as you and prefer to use some larger tips very deeply inserted on the IER-F1R nozzles (with pushing hard) => until I can insert the IEM to close and seal perfectly the entrance of my ear canal only.
I try to keep the IEM with a rather low profile in my ear (to be able to lay down with the head on the side for having a rest on a cushion or reading some books/magazine, with the M9, I usually can even sleep the whole night without needing to reposition the IEM in the ears during the night.

For such game (sealing perfectly without deep insertion), the azla sednaearfit ASMR L are the best for my ears, but Sony's Z1R ML silicon tips are excellent too. I really try to avoid any deep insertion in my ear canal as after a while it hurts too much.

IER M9 is the most comfortable, the Z1R a bit less and a bit too bulky => but tlll now, as I said, I couldn't buy better IEM in the 500€ to 3K€ range (I don't believe it is worth to go over 3K for IEMs).

Users who are viewing this thread

Back