SONY NW-WM1Z / WM1A
Status
Not open for further replies.
Mar 12, 2017 at 9:36 PM Post #10,202 of 45,723
And not brown.

Exactly.

And one of my main complaints about these types of "innovations" is that you would seem to have to believe that this technology has somehow found its way to the world of audiophilia without it causing a stir in any more mainstream applications with much great commercial potential. Super high precision resistors, high grade capacitors, dampening materials, isolation transformers, etc. are all things that are actually used in other places, such as scientific instruments and circuitry. But no, we in the world of high end audio are the first to know about this new "quantum" technology. And I've taken quantum mechanics at university and can tell you that it's very likely that some people are more accepting of this stuff because they have no idea what quantum mechanics actually is. I bet that Schrodinger's Cat is spinning half-dead in his grave...

Mar 12, 2017 at 9:57 PM Post #10,203 of 45,723
  Don't tell FiiO that their remote selling for 25 dollars retail should be 80 or more. :^) And it comes with accessories. 

Just from the photos the quality of the plastic is different - the Sony uses two-tone molding for the face plate (a transparent layer over a solid layer), which is also more expensive because it is more complicated to do. Also the Sony has accessories too. The two aren't comparable.

The Sony remote assembly is over-designed, like many things Sony makes, hence the price difference and that's what you are paying for. Again, just look at the front of the Sony remote which has 3 buttons - that's 3 different casts/molds already, the Fiio has 1 giant button.  Complexity is what led to higher cost.

Mar 12, 2017 at 9:59 PM Post #10,204 of 45,723
@TSAVJason - Any idea when can we try out a WM1A? I am losing patience, which may lead me to get the WM1Z and I really want to avoid that, considering the funds at disposal 
L3000.gif

Mar 12, 2017 at 10:02 PM Post #10,205 of 45,723
There are lots of things that are hard to quantify scientifically but are true to our ears. For example, how do you scientifically measure sound stage? How do you scientifically measure the dynamics? All these are not really quantifiable explicitly by using scientific methods but almost all of us are able to perceive such changes. So I suggest that such things are nonsense, try them out yourself then conclude whether if they are working. Audio world have full of snake oils that are unable to be proved but they works, hence I recommend everyone to keep an open mind to all of the stuff and try them out then make your own conclusion.   

Mar 12, 2017 at 10:14 PM Post #10,206 of 45,723
  So, CanJam Singapore was a blast...

Had the privilege of speaking to Sato-san and Yoshioka-san, two of the lead engineers for the WM1 project. I've passed some of your requests on to them for a search feature and they did mention that a new firmware update is coming in a few weeks to address the Artist page bug the latest update introduced. Also, for those requesting for configurable Sound Setting presets, they highlighted to me that it's already in the firmware - when you guys are in the sound settings page, just hit the bottom right Settings button and there you go.

On a more interesting note, a friend and I convinced them to open our players to install the Telos Quantum Sticker mod as they were curious about its effects as well, and their faces were priceless when our players were reassembled and they had a chance to A/B the modded players against the show demos they had brought - the engineers expressed surprise at how the bass had gained texture and the soundstage had increased. To say I'm pleased with the result of this honestly incredibly snake oil-ish tweak would be an understatement.

i don't know about them but this reminds me of something !!

Mar 12, 2017 at 10:15 PM Post #10,207 of 45,723
@TSAVJason
 - Any idea when can we try out a WM1A? I am losing patience, which may lead me to get the WM1Z and I really want to avoid that, considering the funds at disposal :L3000:  
Man I cringe at the question of when with Sony. They said the end of March .....if that doesnt happen just please remember I'm only the messenger

The Source AV TSAVJason Stay updated on The Source AV at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com./pages/The-Source-AV-Design-Group/153623164648713 http://www.twitter.com/TheSourceAV http://www.instagram.com/Thesourceavdesign http://thesourceav.com/ Products@TheSourceAV.com
Mar 12, 2017 at 10:23 PM Post #10,208 of 45,723
Man I cringe at the question of when with Sony. They said the end of March .....if that doesnt happen just please remember I'm only the messenger

I understand. WM1A is available everywhere except in the USA (officially). Well, Amazon USA prime has it for over 2 months now and they are actually giving out a seller's warranty on the product for 12 months. Sad to see that the customers wants it but the manufacturer doesn't seem to bother much... what a conundrum! Hope end of March is the end of the wait time ...

Mar 12, 2017 at 10:27 PM Post #10,209 of 45,723
I understand. WM1A is available everywhere except in the USA (officially). Well, Amazon USA prime has it for over 2 months now and they are actually giving out a seller's warranty on the product for 12 months. Sad to see that the customers wants it but the manufacturer doesn't seem to bother much... what a conundrum! Hope end of March is the end of the wait time ...
Amazon NA had the Z1R, ES amp and the 1Z on their site at one point in time. The 1A is a part of Signature Series so it's likely not going to be there either and eventually removed. Buying elsewhere just requires being real careful as to which version it is and if dealing with offshore warranty. If you do your homework it is one option.

The Source AV TSAVJason Stay updated on The Source AV at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com./pages/The-Source-AV-Design-Group/153623164648713 http://www.twitter.com/TheSourceAV http://www.instagram.com/Thesourceavdesign http://thesourceav.com/ Products@TheSourceAV.com
Mar 12, 2017 at 10:28 PM Post #10,210 of 45,723
And not brown.

Exactly.

And one of my main complaints about these types of "innovations" is that you would seem to have to believe that this technology has somehow found its way to the world of audiophilia without it causing a stir in any more mainstream applications with much great commercial potential. Super high precision resistors, high grade capacitors, dampening materials, isolation transformers, etc. are all things that are actually used in other places, such as scientific instruments and circuitry. But no, we in the world of high end audio are the first to know about this new "quantum" technology. And I've taken quantum mechanics at university and can tell you that it's very likely that some people are more accepting of this stuff because they have no idea what quantum mechanics actually is. I bet that Schrodinger's Cat is spinning half-dead in his grave...

Exactly....I totally agree that such unscientific and hardly tested improvements have no place in this hobby. It really goes to show that the sony team behind the 1A and 1Z you guys bought, and are using, have clearly lost their marbles for even thinking that they perceived a difference after listening to the stickers.

Mar 12, 2017 at 10:30 PM Post #10,212 of 45,723
Exactly....I totally agree that such unscientific and hardly tested improvements have no place in this hobby. It really goes to show that the sony team behind the 1A and 1Z you guys bought, and are using, have clearly lost their marbles for even thinking that they perceived a difference after listening to the stickers.

You mean as reported by an unbiased party?

Mar 12, 2017 at 10:34 PM Post #10,213 of 45,723
You mean as reported by an unbiased party?

Or, we could assume, as you are implying, that said original poster has no integrity and made up the entire post, even the part of the sony engineers opening up and trying the tweaked units...

On my part, i however, am more interested in enjoying my new dita dream, which sounds heavenly out of the 1Z. I don't want anything to do with these snake oil that the sony engineers seem surprised about.

Mar 12, 2017 at 10:45 PM Post #10,214 of 45,723
Or, we could assume, as you are implying, that said original poster has no integrity and made up the entire post, even the part of the sony engineers opening up and trying the tweaked units...

On my part, i however, am more interested in enjoying my new dita dream, which sounds heavenly out of the 1Z. I don't want anything to do with these snake oil that the sony engineers seem surprised about.

Then I wish you all the enjoyment your equipment brings.

Mar 12, 2017 at 10:50 PM Post #10,215 of 45,723
Then I wish you all the enjoyment your equipment brings.

I hope you get to purchase it soon too. I was initially rather unimpressed with it on the CU, but the dream emerged in the 1Z. I now see why the dita team stands behind the 1Z, and uses that as their demo unit.

They, said that to them, rhe 1Z is hands down the best player they have heard. That said, they took much issue with the fact that the performance plummets too significantly behind reasonable limits on the the 3.5 as when compared to the balance...

But i digress, pls go back to the original topic...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back