Sony NWZ-ZX1 - 35th Walkman Anniversary model
Apr 19, 2014 at 9:01 PM Post #4,876 of 7,711
  It's good that the sound quality has improved, but there's still an issue for people who have more power guzzling iems and headphones? 

Even the most power hungry IEMs will be completely fine with the ZX1 even very low impedance iems are fine. Its only high impedance headphones that are not driven well. Low impedance headphones are fine with the ZX1, like Senn HD25 or Koss Portapro or AT M50 etc. Basically anything under 100 ohms with decent sensitivity is fine.

Apr 20, 2014 at 2:00 AM Post #4,877 of 7,711
If you mean updating the firmware of the ZX1 itself, there's no need for a computer. Switch on your WiFi, go to Settings -> About Device -> Software Update. It will download the 280MB or so file and update upon rebooting.

"If it sounds good to you, that's all that matters. " - Artstar

Cheers. I'll try that. 

Edit: That's worked nicely. 
beerchug.gif

It plays my DSD files. I'm going to see if I can embed some album covers.

Apr 20, 2014 at 2:53 AM Post #4,879 of 7,711

Even the most power hungry IEMs will be completely fine with the ZX1 even very low impedance iems are fine. Its only high impedance headphones that are not driven well. Low impedance headphones are fine with the ZX1, like Senn HD25 or Koss Portapro or AT M50 etc. Basically anything under 100 ohms with decent sensitivity is fine.

Impedance has to do with power delivery, but not the delivery of the level of sound. That's dB/mW or SPL.  Also, some low Impedance multi BA IEMs depends on output impedance, which was the problem with the AK100, and ZX1 may have high output impedance(since typical Sony player output is typically high) relative to low impedance multi driver BA IEMs.  The output impedance will affect the multi BA crossovers which is impedance.  Crossovers are filters of frequency range of each driver, if you mess with that, you will not get the sound of the IEMs intended design, so watch out for output impedance.

Apr 20, 2014 at 3:19 AM Post #4,880 of 7,711
What is the output impedance of the ZX1?

Apr 20, 2014 at 3:51 AM Post #4,881 of 7,711
I loaded the new firmware and did some AB testing with my NT6 between the ZX1 and the 901. I do not know if it is the new firmware or if I had never noticed, but the ZX1 has a significant mid bass boost vs 901. Overall the ZX1 has more width and air, but the 901 has more depth and is smoother all over.

I noticed a decrease in midbass hump and a more extension on the low bass actually.  I do enjoy my ZX1 a good bit better now.  The soundstage also deepen with more space & air.

Apr 20, 2014 at 5:02 AM Post #4,882 of 7,711
Don't know if this has been posted but... Sony Australia has this for Pre-order for AU$699, estimated shipment - 14th May 2014. And you get a bonus set of MDR-10RC valued at AU$179.

http://www.sony.com.au/product/nwz-zx1?m=0

Seems like a good deal!

Apr 20, 2014 at 6:40 AM Post #4,883 of 7,711
this update imo has given us a new device (saved a few pennies for sure) & a return to the Sony house-sound (kinda)... seriously impressed for sure.

today is bluegrass & female vocal day... I would say I'm re-discovering my music collection (I love it when people say that) but hey that would be a lie, it's sitting on the shelves behind me.
bigsmile_face.gif

see y'alll on Wed... Happy Easter you happy Walkmanites...
beerchug.gif

Apr 20, 2014 at 6:44 AM Post #4,884 of 7,711
this update imo has given us a new device (saved a few pennies for sure) & a return to the Sony house-sound (kinda)... seriously impressed for sure.

today is bluegrass & female vocal day... I would say I'm re-discovering my music collection (I love it when people say that) but hey that would be a lie, it's sitting on the shelves behind me.:bigsmile_face:

see y'alll on Wed... Happy Easter you happy Walkmanites... :beerchug:

What is the Sony house sound? Not making a joke or whatever. But I just wanna know as I have never owned any Sony audio equipment except for this ZX1.
And in what way did the update change the sound?

Apr 20, 2014 at 7:22 AM Post #4,885 of 7,711
ok last post as my limo & bodyguard are arriving soon... I've had Walkman's since the 80's one thing they've always had is a touch of warmth & a richness to the sound... yes all Walkman's have slightly different SQ's but before the update I would of said its delivery was 'cool & clinical'... you wouldn't say that now imo, laters.

ps... it's still clinical when it has to be.

Apr 20, 2014 at 7:24 AM Post #4,886 of 7,711
ok last post as my limo & bodyguard are arriving soon... I've had Walkman's since the 80's one thing they've always had is a touch of warmth & a richness to the sound... yes all Walkman's have slightly different SQ's but before the update I would of said its delivery was 'cool & clinical'... you wouldn't say that now imo, laters.

Thanks for the reply. :)

You have a limo and a bodyguard? Too cool.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back