Sony PHA-3 balanced portable dac/amp
Sep 17, 2014 at 11:21 PM Post #31 of 1,922
I *really* want this!

I have been crossly avoiding buying something because I have an Android phone and I don't see the point of plugging one into the Headphone Jack.

The blurb for the PHA-3 says that it will have an Xperia connector... does anyone know how this will work?  I have an Xperia now... do you think that I will need to upgrade to whatever the latest Xperia is when the PHA-3 comes out?

dp.

[EDIT]

I just read up on the Xperia Z3... and it has something called MHL (Mobile High-Definition Link) so I assume that the PHA-3 will use this to connect.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mobile_High-Definition_Link

Sep 18, 2014 at 11:04 AM Post #32 of 1,922
There is no info on the PHA 3 on the uk Sony web, just press release saying all the new high res products (Z7, A15 etc) will be release in october..
I wants it all
evil_smiley.gif

Sep 18, 2014 at 11:51 AM Post #33 of 1,922
  There is no info on the PHA 3 on the uk Sony web, just press release saying all the new high res products (Z7, A15 etc) will be release in october..
I wants it all
evil_smiley.gif

I have a feeling if I want this, I'll have to visit Price Japan.....

...and I do.

Sep 18, 2014 at 2:39 PM Post #38 of 1,922
Sorry I am dumb... can you tell me what I need to Google for... I don't know what source/transport is?

Look up audio transport.

A transport/source is any type of media player that has a digital output (Toslink, USB, Digi coaxial etc). This allows the digital data stream (be it mp3, wav, pcm, dsd etc) to be decoded by an external DAC... such as the PHA3.

Some high end CD players do not house a DAC and are required to be connected to an external DAC while some will have a DAC but also be able bypass the internal DAC to stream the digital data to an external one, some DAP's and the more recent android phones can, although there are often ouput bitrate limitations with these.

Sep 18, 2014 at 3:08 PM Post #39 of 1,922
Sorry I am dumb... can you tell me what I need to Google for... I don't know what source/transport is?

One of the new (or new-ish) Walkmans would be ideal.  There has been the ZX-1 for a bit, and the upcoming NWZ-A17 (which is on my radar).

But also any Apple device (iPhone/iPod/iPad) will work...

Sep 18, 2014 at 3:14 PM Post #40 of 1,922
  Sony Singapore's product page:

http://www.sony.com.sg/product/pha-3

Frequency range10 Hz – 100 kHz (AUDIO IN input) , Distortion 0.01 % or less (1 kHz)
Supported impedance8 Ω - 600 Ω
Maximum input2 Vrms (AUDIO IN)
Maximum output (when using the built-in lithium-ion rechargeable battery)Balanced connection: Approx. 320 mW + 320 mW (32 Ω, 1 % distortion), Normal connection: Approx. 100 mW + 100 mW (32 Ω, 1 % distortion)
Output jack3-pole mini jack (BALANCED - Left / Right), Stereo mini jack (- NORMAL)
Input jack/portComputer/Walkman®/Xperia™ connecting port, iPhone/iPad/iPod connecting port, Optical input connecting port (OPT IN port), Stereo mini jack*1, *1 Only a 3-pole stereo mini plug is supported. Other plugs, including 2-pole mini plug or 4-pole stereo mini plug, are not supported.
PowerDC 3.7 V: built-in lithium-ion rechargeable battery, DC 5 V: when charging via USB
DimensionsApprox. 80 x 29 x 140.5 mm (W/H/D, projecting parts are not included)
WeightApprox. 300 g
Supported sampling frequencies / bitPCM: when connecting a computer: Max. 384 kHz/32 bit, when connecting iPhone/iPad/iPod: Max. 48 kHz/24 bit, when connecting optical link: Max. 192 kHz/24 bit; DSD: 2.8 MHz, 5.6 MHz

YIKES 640 mW into 32 ohms q.q [looks at the pb2] meng I got 2w in this BABI [not that I even need it honestly]

but yea looks like this bad bois aiming to power those Low Impeadance effiecent cans!

Also Didn't realize it was $1000 q.q, I think I might be skipping over this one fellahs for a HM901 >.> 

Sep 18, 2014 at 9:46 PM Post #41 of 1,922
  YIKES 640 mW into 32 ohms q.q [looks at the pb2] meng I got 2w in this BABI [not that I even need it honestly]

but yea looks like this bad bois aiming to power those Low Impeadance effiecent cans!

Also Didn't realize it was $1000 q.q, I think I might be skipping over this one fellahs for a HM901 >.> 

I think you should not.  Sony really knows what they are doing.  My PHA-2 sounds remarkable great from the Wolfson 8740 DAC.  It is about the implementation I think.  If you don't need all the power to drive those orthos, this should be a really good solution for lower impedance & CIEMs.  Wonder if the line out feature will be available on the PHA-3.

Sep 18, 2014 at 11:29 PM Post #42 of 1,922
  I think you should not.  Sony really knows what they are doing.  My PHA-2 sounds remarkable great from the Wolfson 8740 DAC.  It is about the implementation I think.  If you don't need all the power to drive those orthos, this should be a really good solution for lower impedance & CIEMs.  Wonder if the line out feature will be available on the PHA-3.

well implimentation on the PHA 3 might be miles over what I have, but I have more than one set of cans in my inventory, I hate when a company makes a GREAT product used exclusively with one headphone :/, at least with Oppo their amp has a Standard Out put, the PHA -3 has that strange dual 3.5mm out, that's not very common. I mean for a $1000 amp dac. why cripple it's sales by not including a more standard balanced out, why make your TOTL headphone the same way, BEST sony has and oh by the way if you already have $4000 in gear you'll need to spend another $200 to get a cable to work with your TOTL gear

it's aggrivating, let's assume it SOUNDS AMAZING, at $1000 the sheer fact I would have to recable everything I own [again] urks me :/ 4pin XLR is a pretty standard Balanced at, why Sony went with something like far left of that I don't get. That leaves those of us who have orthos and Dynamics and want a Dynamic Closed back in the cold... 

still interested in teh headphone, the Amp Dac, at $1000 not so much just beacuse of the out put, I'd have to spend another $300-400 getting 2 cables made for my current headphones, :/ 

Sep 19, 2014 at 5:47 AM Post #43 of 1,922

sure looks like it does...

Sep 20, 2014 at 4:22 AM Post #44 of 1,922

Users who are viewing this thread

Back