Sony SA5000 or AKG K701?
Feb 7, 2006 at 12:12 AM Post #91 of 132
I'm still waiting for my 701s to arrive. When they do and I've been able to fully burn them in I'm going to do an extensive comparitive review between the K701s, HD650 with Silver Dragon Cable, SA5Ks, and RS1s. I wish I had the W5Ks so I could review them to... I really want to hear them *drools*.

The system I'm using is in my sig. I'll be using a Tung Sol Round Plate as the input tube and two matching Sylvania VT-231 Output Tubes for my SDS when I do the review. They're as close to neutral tubes as I can get. All they add is a bit of organic-ness (with the Tung Sol's) and air and soundstage (with the Sylvanias). But as far as frequencies go they're about as close to neutral as I can get with tubes. And my Reimyo is the most neutral player I've EVER heard period so I think it should be a pretty fair review.

Feb 7, 2006 at 12:22 AM Post #92 of 132
And I must say that after having the SA5Ks for a while I no longer think they're as bright as I once thought. When I first got them I thought they were unbearably bright but burn in has completely tamed the highs - pretty much completely leveled them. The RS-1s to me have "bright" highs to where my SA5ks have "level" highs - plateu-ish, if you will. I still think the focus of the SA5Ks leans more towards the treble than anything else, but it's still not piercing bright like it was - it's a more smoother treble type sound.

Other than the slightly accentuated highs I think the rest of the headphone is very neutral though. They're extremely fast and accurate - they remind me alot of their older brother Qualias but without the excellent soundstaging, bass, and depth. The main weakness of the SA5Ks is the narrow soundstage, lack of bass, and cold presentation. Even with my SDS it's tough to warm up the sound. They're perfect for some recordings but I can understand how some could be completely turned off by them. They're practically the opposite of headphones like the HD650s or my R10s.

I still really like them. Their detail and speed is phenomenal. And I do think they're really neutral except for the focus on highs which isn't exactly a BAD thing.

Feb 7, 2006 at 12:47 AM Post #93 of 132
Quote:

Originally Posted by applebook
The SA5000 clearly emphasizes HFs, so to call it "neutral" is plain incorrect. It's several shades bright of neutral.

There's no proof that the SA5000 "reveals" anything in sources rather than accentuates or completely colors it.
icon10.gif

so you own the K701 and don't own the SA5000. But think the SA5000 from what you have heard are colored?

Feb 7, 2006 at 12:56 AM Post #95 of 132
Quote:

Originally Posted by gsferrari
I am no layman. I am an engineer with quite a bit of experience in these matters.

(I know!) So it won't be hard for you to justify your scenario: «You ABSOLUTELY need an amp with a lot of headroom to overcome the extremely high elasticity of the driver.» What is «elasticity»? Compliance? Or rather stiffness? Let's assume it's the latter... It would cause an awfully high resonance frequency coupled with the low moving mass you would expect from a membrane running up to 100 kHz and beyond. But then again: low compliance and high resonance frequency mean high resonance Q factor, thus low mechanical damping. That's not what you wanted, obviously. So let's assume the membrane has a high inner damping. It's possible, but again stands somewhat in the way of the high bandwidth, as high inner damping means slow speed of sound.

The other questionable thing is the requirement of an amp with «a lot of headroom», which I guess stands for power. Now what sort of power is needed to drive the membrane to a travel of 0.05 mm at 500 Hz? Maybe 1 mW. Now, what does it change when the one milliwatt is coming from a muscle amp instead of a smaller one? It's the same power, causing the same displacement. Let's assume a similar output impedance, since that's not a feature of an über amp. So even the electrical damping of the membrane at the resonance frequency will be identical.

Quote:

As far as your idea of damping - I am NOT talking about the chamber or driver housing. I dont think the SA5000 has a bathroom sound either. I am talking about the control over the driver when I say "damping".

Actually I've realized that, but couldn't resist to throw in the SA5000's most obvious design flaw. Your high (mechanical?) damping theory is mere assumption, right?

Quote:

What this means is that, the driver doesnt FLOP about in response to a signal - it is taut and harder to move.

No, I'm not buying this scenario -- see above! And BTW a stiff membrane (or suspension) isn't even harder to move than a more compliant one above the resonance frequency!

Quote:

Extension just isn't there without a more powerful amp. A weak amplifier will be unable to control the movement of the driver.

You forget that there's no headphone amp with integrated motional feedback, active movement control. Amps just deliver their current, at best around the bass resonance there may happen some back EMF effects -- according to the output impedance (= damping factor) --, but that's not dependent on the amp's power reserve. In any event: 1 mW will cause the same membrane displacement and the same sound pressure from both a weak and a strong amp; and a «high elasticity» doesn't change a bit.

Quote:

There will be a delay between the signal, and the driver responding to that signal in either direction, when the amplifier is not up to the task.

You're talking Spanish to me... The speed of electricity isn't dependent of the amp's (--> unused!) power reserve.
tongue.gif

Quote:

A strong amplifier will be able to move the driver with the speed that is necessary to keep up with the audio signal.

A weak amplifier with higher bandwidth will drive the driver with even higher speed than the stronger one (given a signal with extreme HF extension!), as long as it's not driven close to or above its power limits. Remember: 1 mW is 1 mW, it's not a stronger milliwatt when it's from the stronger amp. The only concession I'm ready to make is that a stronger power supply may be able to convey more authority and dynamics to the sound -- but that doesn't have anything to do with elasticity and motion control.

Feb 7, 2006 at 12:58 AM Post #96 of 132
Quote:

Originally Posted by chrisfromalbany
so you own the K701 and don't own the SA5000. But think the SA5000 from what you have heard are colored?

I don't own either and haven't even heard the 701, so I've never commented on it. I've found the SA5000 to be bright (colored treble), and so do MANY respectable posters.

"Troll?" Maybe you should sell your SA5000 and then bash it before hearing its replacement (s). LOL.

Feb 7, 2006 at 1:05 AM Post #97 of 132
Hi GSFerrari,

What headphone would you most associate the 5000s with? How do they compare to the stax and k1000's? do you prefer them over the 650s? have you tried the 701s yet? How about it compared to the qualias?

your thoughts would be helpful for me.
Thanks!

Feb 7, 2006 at 1:14 AM Post #98 of 132
Hmmm, so are we talking about the SA5000 or the AKG701? Seeing how I haven't listened to the latter headphone, I can't comment...but from what I have read about the AKG701 and heard from the SA5000:

1) The SA5000 will probably be brighter, drier, and more analytical than the 701.

2) The SA5000 will probably sound faster.

3) The SA5000 might have more bass, but less soundstage.

As for casual listening for general pleasure, my guess is that AKG701 might be better for this because of its warmer sound signature.

-Matt

Feb 7, 2006 at 1:16 AM Post #99 of 132
Quote:

Originally Posted by RnB180
Hi GSFerrari,

What headphone would you most associate the 5000s with? How do they compare to the stax and k1000's? do you prefer them over the 650s? have you tried the 701s yet? How about it compared to the qualias?

your thoughts would be helpful for me.
Thanks!

I think I prefer the SA5000 to the Stax headphones (this is merely due to my bias against electrostat bass)...I think I would take the K1000 over the SA5000, but it is close...the K1000 seems to possess a richer midrange, but I prefer the bass of the SA5000. I definitely prefer the SA5000 over the 650 (again, I feel that the 650 is too dark and exaggerates the bass from a decent setup). Haven't tried the qualias or the 701.

-Matt

Feb 7, 2006 at 4:26 AM Post #100 of 132
Jazz - I dont want to waste time arguing with you so I concede defeat and submit to your supreme knowledge.

To the others - the difference between a strong amp and a weak amp is like the difference between an Skyline with everything stock...and a Skyline with everything blown out...high flow exhaust and carbon brakes.

Lets say I program a driver to drive forward at full accelleration for 100m and stop HARD...and repeat the process several times, with consistency... the stock Skyline is going to be slower during accelleration...and take longer to come to a halt during braking...The blown out skyline is going to reach higher speeds and come to a halt in shorter distances.

Which one is closer to matching the actual intentions of the driver?

You think about it - the driver control I am talking about it how quickly does the driver react to a change in the signal. This is hugely dependent on the amplifier used and how quickly the amplifier can pump in the current through the coil to get the driver moving with respect to the signal.

Any more and I will just end up repeating myself

Feb 7, 2006 at 4:31 AM Post #101 of 132
Quote:

Originally Posted by RnB180
What headphone would you most associate the 5000s with?

Qualia and for a non-sony headphone - K1000 without the imaging...but better Bass. I think the K1000s are nice but incredibly hyped.

Quote:

How do they compare to the stax and k1000's? do you prefer them over the 650s? have you tried the 701s yet? How about it compared to the qualias?

Omega-II is definitely better than the K1000.
SR-404 holds it's own against the SA5000. I would only buy the Stax if I already had the amp...you are extremely limited in the choice of amps when you go electrostatic. Been there done that...I want to get my hands on Rudistor's new amps because I REALLY miss the RP5 that I used to have
frown.gif

Qualia is simply something else...I've heard several examples and they all sound different - which bothers me. If I buy one - it will HAVE to be Stevio's pair.

Feb 7, 2006 at 6:35 AM Post #102 of 132
gsferrari,

FWIW, I totally agree amp capability drives down stream performance. As does source. The whole headphone emphasis over upstream signal generation confuses me.

One question, however: how can one possibly compare electrostatics to dynamic to in-ear to...?

Feb 7, 2006 at 8:56 AM Post #103 of 132
Quote:

Originally Posted by crazyfrenchman27
1) The SA5000 will probably be brighter, drier, and more analytical than the 701.

2) The SA5000 will probably sound faster.

3) The SA5000 might have more bass, but less soundstage.

1) True. But only slightly brighter.

2) True

3) Actually their amount of bass and its quality is about the same. They both perform very well in bass. Yes K701 has much wider soundstage. Widest soundstage I've heard from dynamic headphones.

Feb 7, 2006 at 9:17 AM Post #104 of 132
Guru...

...what's a «Skyline»?

Quote:

Originally Posted by gsferrari
...the driver control I am talking about it how quickly does the driver react to a change in the signal. This is hugely dependent on the amplifier used and how quickly the amplifier can pump in the current through the coil to get the driver moving with respect to the signal.

Now tell me how the amplifier can «control» membrane movement without a motional-feedback circuit -- and how it can influence the speed of electricity in a wire! Please be technical and concrete!

Feb 7, 2006 at 9:18 AM Post #105 of 132
Quote:

Originally Posted by leebert
FWIW, I totally agree amp capability drives down stream performance. As does source.

That's not disputed.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back