sony V6 and Grado 60's; amp worth it?
Aug 15, 2001 at 11:55 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 11

soupy

1000+ Head-Fier
would spending the extra dough for a amp like a TA be worth it for my V6 or grado 60's? i'm kinda on a student budget but i want the most out of my headphones, or should i just save up some cash, upgrade to another pair, then buy the amp?
im mostly using the phones off of my comp/laptop and MD.

Aug 16, 2001 at 12:08 AM Post #2 of 11
You could make a DIY amp or try to buy a DBSE amp. Thomas was selling, last time i checked. Those'll be cheaper than a TA and some say of better quality. Anyway, yeah, amps are good for all phones. Even if it doesn't make a huge difference with your current phones, you'll get others soon enough and wish you had an amp :wink: [like me. my senn580s are lonely]

Aug 16, 2001 at 12:12 AM Post #3 of 11
I doubt an amp will help either of those headphones very much. Buy some more CDs w/ the extra money.

Aug 16, 2001 at 12:41 AM Post #4 of 11
i don't know about the grados, but the bass on the v6 will drop straight through the floor with an amp.

Aug 16, 2001 at 2:31 AM Post #5 of 11
Quote:

i don't know about the grados, but the bass on the v6 will drop straight through the floor with an amp.

Ain't that the truth. I swear I can *feel* it with the Max
wink.gif

Aug 16, 2001 at 3:04 AM Post #6 of 11
seriously, people underestimate the V6s. They are cheap, they're not the most musical, but they are freaking accurate. When I really want to catch basslines, guitar riffs, lyrics, or look for minutiae, these are my phones of choice. BTW, thank god for audio shops putting up with me trying their stuff even though i never buy anything
biggrin.gif

Aug 16, 2001 at 3:05 AM Post #7 of 11
the grados won't see much improvement. maybe the V6 will, I don't know. I would say that the difference in sound probably won't be worth it...

Aug 16, 2001 at 3:33 AM Post #8 of 11
Quote:

Originally posted by dhwilkin
I doubt an amp will help either of those headphones very much. Buy some more CDs w/ the extra money.

Actually I have both those phones and an amp will help them both. Do they need an amp? No. Will an amp make them sound better? Yes. There is no good headphone that will not sound better with an amp, since it will provide more headroom for the transients.

Aug 16, 2001 at 4:13 AM Post #9 of 11
Quote:

morphsci said...

Actually I have both those phones and an amp will help them both. Do they need an amp? No. Will an amp make them sound better? Yes. There is no good headphone that will not sound better with an amp, since it will provide more headroom for the transients.

Now, I didn't say an amplifier would not help them at all. I said I didn't think the improvement would be worth it as opposed to buying more CDs. Remember, he's not talking about a top-notch amp, he's talking about something like a TA. Don't get me wrong, the TA is pretty good, but w/ the headphones he's talking about, IMHO he'd come out farther ahead buying CDs.

Aug 16, 2001 at 4:25 AM Post #10 of 11
No problem DW. I just disagreed with you since I think amplification is important for hearing the music you have. Of course a broader music selection is always a plus
biggrin.gif
. I was surprised recently when I heard the improvement my OBH-11 makes on the ratshack 3904 compared to its headphone out, which itself is not bad. Anyway, it was just my opinion.

Aug 16, 2001 at 2:52 PM Post #11 of 11
Yeah man, no problem. Admittedly, I am assuming whatever headphone jack he'll be using is at least average in the first place. Whichever suggestion he ends up taking, he still comes out ahead.
cool.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back