Sorta question about pre-amping, general chaining confusion...
Mar 24, 2011 at 8:36 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 1
I own the E7/E9 and awaiting for my Lyr to arrive. The E7 is my temporary DAC solution until I decide on what to upgrade to (thread in the source section).

NOW, please confirm or deny.

The E9's Pre-out is volume controlled from the E9, so that means it's using the E9's amp. The RCA line out isn't volume controlled, but I thought that was made for speakers with its own volume control (like my Logitech 2.1 setup)?

If the E7/E9 - RCA line out - Lyr works exactly the same as the E7 - L7 (line out connector) - Lyr, that would be great. Can anyone verify that this method wouldn't use the E9 whatsoever? I'm confused with pre-amps in general. I know that line out = bypassing internal amps, but I wanna make sure there's nothing going on between the E7 straight to the Lyr while the E7 is docked to the E9. I didn't know that this method existed, and would make the L7 moot if we already own the E9.

So in theory (or fact), one COULD just run any other DAC to the E9's line in, and run any other amp from the E9's line out, and be able to choose between connecting your headphones to the E9 or the other amp, right? This is great. I learn every day. Unless I'm completely wrong here.

I understand that the less stuff between the source and headphones the better, but as I said, this is temporary.

So to simplify:

DAC - AMP 1 - Line Out - AMP 2 (with no processing or trickery from AMP 1?)
=
DAC - AMP 2

I understand the E7 being docked to the E9 is a whole other issue, but in theory, since the E7 docked to the E9 is the same as E7 line out to E9, then it should still work the same???

I'm confusing myself, lol.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back