Speakers into Single Ended Headphone 6.3mm Jack?
Jul 21, 2020 at 11:13 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 7

haibrands

New Head-Fier
Hello! I'm fairly inexperienced when it comes to the topic at hand so any help is greatly appreciated.

I plan on buying a Topping DX7 Pro and getting rid of my computer's sound card for my speakers. Is it okay to plug my Logitech G560 speakers with a 3.5mm jack into the 6.3mm headphone single ended jack using an adapter? I know it is possible but I have heard that since it is specified as a headphone jack, it is not recommended and can even be harmful to the DAC/AMP.

If it isn't recommended, I plan on getting a 3.5mm to 2 XLR cable or a 3.5mm to RCA cable, which would be more recommended in this setup?

Last edited:
Jul 22, 2020 at 1:26 AM Post #2 of 7
Shouldn’t be an issue if you drive the Logitech speaker input with the amp’s headphone output. Just keep the volume low on the amp to start and work your way up. Ideally you want your PC volume at 90% after the amps volume is optimized with the speaker volume. This will prevent clipping at various outputs / inputs.

You PC and phone both have amps and DAC’s in them that drive those speakers so I don’t really see how an external amp/DAC combo is different.

The low output impedance of the amp and the high impedance is the Logitech keeps the current in check. You’ll be fine, but keep the amp volume low to start.

Jul 22, 2020 at 1:49 AM Post #3 of 7
Shouldn’t be an issue if you drive the Logitech speaker input with the amp’s headphone output. Just keep the volume low on the amp to start and work your way up. Ideally you want your PC volume at 90% after the amps volume is optimized with the speaker volume. This will prevent clipping at various outputs / inputs.

You PC and phone both have amps and DAC’s in them that drive those speakers so I don’t really see how an external amp/DAC combo is different.

The low output impedance of the amp and the high impedance is the Logitech keeps the current in check. You’ll be fine, but keep the amp volume low to start.

That's super insightful! Thank you. It is more convenient for me to be able to adjust the PC volume rather than adjust the DX7 Pro volume but I'm guessing it's more ideal to do it vice versa?

I tried to understand the output impedance concept for a little bit but couldn't grasp it, so thank you for answering that for me. One quick question, if I do choose to use the non-headphone outputs in the back of the DX7 Pro, would you recommend the XLR 3 pin over the RCA or vice versa? I'm guessing that getting a 3.5mm to RCA or XLR cable won't pose any issues with the speakers.

Jul 22, 2020 at 4:08 AM Post #4 of 7
Hello! I'm fairly inexperienced when it comes to the topic at hand so any help is greatly appreciated.

I plan on buying a Topping DX7 Pro and getting rid of my computer's sound card for my speakers. Is it okay to plug my Logitech G560 speakers with a 3.5mm jack into the 6.3mm headphone single ended jack using an adapter? I know it is possible but I have heard that since it is specified as a headphone jack, it is not recommended and can even be harmful to the DAC/AMP.

It won't destroy the DAC-HPamp but the turn on thump if any or accidentally having it cranked waaaaay up since the headphone output on that can produce enough voltage you're sending too much voltage into the speaker amp.

Besides, why? The DX7 Pro has line outputs at the rear. Even if you can't control them with the volume knob ie they're not preamplifier outputs it's not like you'd put those small speakers so far out you can't reach the volume buttons on one of the satellite speakers.

If it isn't recommended, I plan on getting a 3.5mm to 2 XLR cable or a 3.5mm to RCA cable, which would be more recommended in this setup?

Just go with RCA since the wiring is simpler and female 3.5mm to RCA are easier to find.

Jul 22, 2020 at 4:27 AM Post #5 of 7
It won't destroy the DAC-HPamp but the turn on thump if any or accidentally having it cranked waaaaay up since the headphone output on that can produce enough voltage you're sending too much voltage into the speaker amp.

Besides, why? The DX7 Pro has line outputs at the rear. Even if you can't control them with the volume knob ie they're not preamplifier outputs it's not like you'd put those small speakers so far out you can't reach the volume buttons on one of the satellite speakers.

Just go with RCA since the wiring is simpler and female 3.5mm to RCA are easier to find.

It was more of a curiosity question given the equipment I have. The G560 only has a 3.5mm to 3.5mm cable so I was wondering if it'd be easier to just plug it into the front given that the DX7 Pro comes with an adapter. You're 100% right though! I plan on using the rear ports. Another question though, you said I wouldn't be able to control the volume using the volume knob on the DX7 Pro when doing line out from the rear ports? So I'd just use the computer volume and the speaker volume?

Hmm, I found a 3.5mm male to dual XLR female cable that I plan on using, do you think this would pose any issues? (Editted)
https://www.amazon.com/Y-Adapter-Un...+3.5mm+to+dual+xlr&qid=1595407098&sr=8-4&th=1

Thanks for your help

Last edited:
Jul 22, 2020 at 8:53 AM Post #6 of 7
Another question though, you said I wouldn't be able to control the volume using the volume knob on the DX7 Pro when doing line out from the rear ports? So I'd just use the computer volume and the speaker volume?

No, I only said "if," because sometimes manufactures label these as "line out" but in rare cases the volume control works. You need to consult the manual for the DX7 Pro for that.

Now in case it can't, don't use Windows volume control. Set that to 100% and control the output on the speakers' built in controls.

Hmm, I found a 3.5mm male to dual XLR female cable that I plan on using, do you think this would pose any issues? (Editted)
https://www.amazon.com/Y-Adapter-Unbalanced-Y-Splitter-Breakout-Microphone/dp/B083JHJZ5G/ref=sr_1_4?dchild=1&keywords=female+3.5mm+to+dual+xlr&qid=1595407098&sr=8-4&th=1

I honestly wouldn't bother with using a cable that on one side has totally separate L- and R- (plus L-GND and R-GND) only to put those into a common ground on the other side of the cable. RCA only has them separate on the socket and on RCA to RCA cable runs but on the circuit itself there's a common ground.

That's normally not a problem if you're hooking up an SE source to balanced speakers/amplifiers but DAC to common ground amp might be a problem if it's not something like Violectric that has balanced inputs and the amp circuit isn't balanced, so it deals with the signals properly between the input and the output stage.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back