Spend my money... headphones for tube amp?
Feb 21, 2008 at 6:17 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 7

GZeus

Head-Fier
I've recently been bitten by the HeadFi bug. I used to listen to a lot of music on headphones and due to some changes at home, find I have the need for a good headphone setup for music.

I am an aspiring tube head so I have been looking at the best options for a good tube based setup. The amp I have my eye on right now is the 'Doge 6210'. I am open to suggestions for a better amp but keep it under $500.

My musical tastes, at those times when I'll be using the phones, is for jazz, classical (cello), female vocals and some blues. I like detailed, clear sound without colorations or exaggerations and I want to hear the effects of rolling various tubes. I am not a bass-head but clear, controlled bass is essential to proper listening. So I guess I want a balanced sound without fatigue.

So, based on the Doge or another tube amp, what phones would you recommend (up to $400)?

I've been considering K601, K701, various Grado's and Beyerdynamics but I'm hoping some people with tubes can provide some recommendations.

Thanks for any input.
smily_headphones1.gif

Feb 21, 2008 at 6:27 PM Post #2 of 7
I wanted to add that I have read as many threads as I could find on headphones for tube amps, so I'm not just taking the lazy way out.
I'm just hoping to get some advise for my particular needs/tastes before I buy. Thanks.

Feb 22, 2008 at 11:47 PM Post #4 of 7
How about looking through the used amps for sale here? See if you can find a used Singlepower for around $500 - a PPX usually sells around there and should fit the bill nicely.

If you want a new one, the Eddie Current Lunchbox would probably be to your liking. Actually, you could pull off a Lunchbox with a Beyerdynamic DT880 with your budget. You might even be able to work a used K-501 in there, too.

For your (good) taste in music, I'd strongly recommend the DT880 and K-501. You might want to put the Sennheiser HD-600 on your list, too.

Feb 23, 2008 at 1:37 AM Post #5 of 7
I went for re-cabled K701's for the same reasons you describe. I like to be able to hear all those details in a recording that you don't normally, like the subtle movements and noises of the singers/players. In the last shop I visited, AGK K601's sounded the most neutral to me, through a tube amp, with 880's on the "too bright" side (mind, I was coming from quite inferior headphones at the time).

Feb 23, 2008 at 11:28 AM Post #6 of 7
Thanks 'Uncle Erik' and 'Currawong'. I was starting to think I had said something wrong.
wink.gif

I'm checking into the Lunchbox... it looks like a cool design. I'm still interested in the Doge 6120 but still checking around for different models. There is a Jasmine T200 in the FS forum and those look pretty interesting too.

Your recommendations - DT880/K501/K601 - are pretty much the ones I had narrowed it down to as well. Its nice to have confirmation that I'm one the right track. I guess I'll stock the FS forum and see what I can find for one of those.

Speaking of DT880's - which would you recommend and what is the difference with the PRO and non-PRO versions.

I should clarify that I'm looking at a total budget of around $7-800.

Anyway, thanks for the feedback. If anyone you have more to share or if anyone else has something to share, I'm all ears.

Feb 23, 2008 at 3:51 PM Post #7 of 7
I have senn650/darkvoice 332 combination. I think they are fantastic together and within your budget.

Have a read of the 100+ page threat about the 332 amp.( When you have a spare 4 hours
wink.gif
wink.gif
wink.gif
)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back