SPL Phonitor Heapdhone Monitoring Amplifier - Head-Fi TV, Episode 009
Jul 20, 2011 at 10:20 PM Post #16 of 77
Many thanks for that response.  I'm going to have to seek one of those out to give it a go.  As far as time in the video - you do a great job in all the ones I've seen in getting the essence down and keeping the viewer engaged.  I think everyone realizes you can't cover everything about it, and it's great that you are able to follow up this way.  Thanks again.

Congrats on the P7 too.  Does that blowback system really wwork well?  I've not tried one.  I like their innovative safety system as well.  Cool stuff.  Leave it to the Germans (actually I think the original blowback system was from a Swiss gun).

Quote:

I've used the Realiser (in a calibrated-for-me demo) at CanJam 2008 (Fort Lauderdale), and, frankly, nothing can touch it (that I've yet heard) for accurate out-of-head imaging.  It's stunning for out-of-head imaging--jaw-dropping stunning.

Your question is an important one, though, and one I should have been clearer about in the video, so that expectations are managed and realistic.  (You simply run out of time in these videos a lot faster than you realize, if, like me, you're not yet used to shooting videos.)

It is important to realize that the Phonitor's imaging controls do not simulate the out-of-head aspect of loudspeaker listening.  What it does is allow you to do is adjust the image to have similar imaging with your monitoring loudspeakers, in terms of coherence--image cohesiveness, angle, shape.  This is not a binaural simulation, and it doesn't do what the Realiser does, in terms of taking the image outside of your head.  It is a crossfeed circuit, albeit a far more sophisticated and flexible one than most.

I hope I've made that clearer, but please tell me if I have not.

Jul 20, 2011 at 10:42 PM Post #19 of 77

Quote:
Great video, I can't wait to try this myself and post impressions.

Congratulations!  Man, I'm so happy for you!!!  (And jealous.)  I think you won the actual unit I reviewed!  I took good care of it for you, though, so don't worry.

Yes, please do let us know what you think.  (And take care of my baby.
wink.gif
 )

Jul 21, 2011 at 12:21 AM Post #21 of 77

Quote:

Congratulations!  Man, I'm so happy for you!!!  (And jealous.)  I think you won the actual unit I reviewed!  I took good care of it for you, though, so don't worry.

Yes, please do let us know what you think.  (And take care of my baby.
wink.gif
 )

It would be an honor to own something you've reviewed! I'm sure you took excellent care of it! I worry that I won't be able to get the full use out of it though, it may be too much amp for my current set-up. Thank you very much though, a very good friend of mine died Friday and today was the funeral so hearing that I actually won the contest brought a smile to my face for the first time in days.

Jul 21, 2011 at 10:48 AM Post #22 of 77
Great review.  Each episode is "more professional" than the last.  Keep up the wonderful effort.

I was wondering if other "pro" units are on the horizen, such as the QES Labs HPBA-2 S.  While it does not have the functionality of the Phonitor, it is a fully balanced SS unit that purportedly can drive anything and is priced under $1,000.

No affiliation, just looking at SS options for 600 ohm headphones - I recently have been bitten by the Beyerdynamic bug.  Fell in love with the DT880 600 ohm for the office and want to try the T1s for the "big rig".

Jul 21, 2011 at 5:27 PM Post #23 of 77
From the video I had high hopes for the Phonitor to pair with sensitive low impedance IEMs and adding the crossfeed to make the 3D feeling of IEM soundstage even better, but I fear it's not as suited to the task as I thought (seeing as it's power is aimed at 300/600ohm resistances). Jude, did you listen to the Phonitor with any custom IEMs and try the crossfeed with them? Also, do you have a favorite non-portable amp for customs and would you recommend going the Realizer route to enhance 3D IEM soundstage (or crossfeed like with the Phonitor) or is crossfeed/Realizer aimed at standard headphones?

Thanks.

Jul 21, 2011 at 7:08 PM Post #25 of 77
When I first saw this, I'm like "Sweet!  A fantastic headphone amp!"  And then you killed it with the price.

Jul 21, 2011 at 9:27 PM Post #27 of 77
Better late than never.
It's good to see the Phonitor finally getting the coverage it deserves.

Jul 21, 2011 at 9:41 PM Post #28 of 77
Jul 21, 2011 at 10:18 PM Post #30 of 77
I am a crossfeed junkie. So this has moved to the top of my shortlist of amps to purchase.
I have a luxman sq-n100 on backorder, but am running out of patience... Perhaps a phonitor to tide me over? :D
Someone hide my wallet. Upgrade-itis has struck again.
Seriously. This is an illness.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back