SPL Phonitor X / Phonitor E impressions and Discussion thread
Dec 26, 2016 at 3:27 PM Post #31 of 1,054
okay I will re arrange it. Also the E sounds the same as the X which makes the E a killer option. It (e) and the Pro iCan are exceptional solid states. The pro has more power but this has better tonality,realism, and balance. 

Dec 26, 2016 at 7:05 PM Post #32 of 1,054
Ugh... I get Dave's sloppy seconds?!?

☺️

Dec 26, 2016 at 7:12 PM Post #34 of 1,054
Impressions so far are only the HD650. I have an HD800 incoming and am on the hunt for a planar in time. Hoping I can borrow one from someone here locally. Let's get into the functions just a bit. 

(A lot of this will be shared on my full review I wanted to hold off but think that for the sake of the tour it is best that you know what to expect)
Firstly I thought there was a very noticeable difference in sound between the two. They both have the same power ratings but I made a mistake. For some reason the E version needs to be turned higher on the pot. So I reached underneath and flicked on switch 1 and 2. Switch 2 is to increase the gain in the input signal from the RCA inputs. That degrades the sound quality but gets it almost as loud as the X with both engaged. The tonality sounded the same but the transparency and depth took a hit. Now with switch 2 disengaged they both sound identical (E and X). 

Good News:
  1. Both Units sound extremely similar. Enough to trust what the Mfg is saying about them being 99% the same sound quality. I think I hear a difference sometimes but level matching correctly makes it seem like placebo.  I don't think the HD650 will be good enough to reveal it if there is. FWIW the Pavane is being fed by the RedNet3 so if there is noticeable a difference I should be able to hear one. 
  2. The E version is very powerful still. When I try to level match against my trafomatic with the knob set to 300ohms the Trafomatic gets louder but the the E is not far behind. 
Sound on both:
  1. Gorgeous tones with literally the best balanced sound of any solid state I have heard to date. 
  2. Good soundstage for a solid state
  3. Matrix sounds good
  4. Resolution
  5. Clarity
  6. Detail 
  7. My Pioneer HRM-7 is low impedance dynamic and it sounds phenomenal. 

Nits or(could be Good for the X):
  1. The X version gets louder than both the E and the Trafomatic. The knob on the pot is similar to the Cayin iHA6. 
  2. The E version cross feed presets are not that strong but they sound excellent

Dec 26, 2016 at 8:24 PM Post #35 of 1,054
Good to hear.  I was also considering the Pro iCan.  Lets see, I may also be able to audition the iCan Pro later and Holo Audio Mammoth this Winter as well.  Then I'll be able to make an informed decision as to a SS amp upgrade over the Liquid Carbon or maybe just keep the LC2.0 and go with the Illuminati LPS for MicroZ.  Choices, choices, choices with context.  

I will also use a trial version of Sonarworks Reference for HD800.  I've heard it mentioned a couple times in different threads.  

Quote:
  okay I will re arrange it. Also the E sounds the same as the X which makes the E a killer option. It (e) and the Pro iCan are exceptional solid states. The pro has more power but this has better tonality,realism, and balance. 

Dec 26, 2016 at 8:27 PM Post #36 of 1,054
  sorry... I tried to arrange it by location as best as I could. 

It's all good. I'll tell him to just send his Abyss to me with the Phonitor. 
wink.gif

Dec 26, 2016 at 8:36 PM Post #37 of 1,054
Another update above. 
Quote:
  Good to hear.  I was also considering the Pro iCan.  Lets see, I may also be able to audition the iCan Pro later and Holo Audio Mammoth this Winter as well.  Then I'll be able to make an informed decision as to a SS amp upgrade over the Liquid Carbon or maybe just keep the LC2.0 and go with the Illuminati LPS for MicroZ.  Choices, choices, choices with context.  

I will also use a trial version of Sonarworks Reference for HD800.  I've heard it mentioned a couple times in different threads.  

Quote:

Those sound like good comparisons. It'd be good to see how it compares. 

Dec 27, 2016 at 11:23 AM Post #40 of 1,054
No have you?

Not yet, I'll have one in a few days though. @project86 mentioned (very briefly) in his review that the V281 was the better amplifier (vs the Phonitor 2). I've heard the 2 and X; there is little/negligible difference between them.

Considering how amazing the PX was (is), I'm looking forward to hearing the HD800 (and Abyss) through the V281 as a comparison. 

Dec 28, 2016 at 11:16 AM Post #41 of 1,054
I ended up with an SPL Auditor for the fun of it and it was at a low price.  Wow, SPL amps can really drive the HD 800 with authority.  I'm not level matching, but I would swear there is an extra "umpf" behind the SPL presentation.  Haven't quite put a finger on the "why", but it's like you can do 60 MPH in a Corolla or a Porsche.  How you get to 60 is the fun.  The Auditor is driving the HD 800 with noticeable ease.  It's not that my other amps don't drive the HD800 well, but I can't say they do it better.  Must be how these amps are designed for high impedance headphones used by pros.  Clean neutral, detailed sound.  Really great stuff.  My experience is with the HD 800 S, which is noticeably warm toned vs non-S and could be complemented well by a neutral amp.        

I'm excited to see how their tech has evolved from the Auditor to the Phonitor E/X.  

Dec 28, 2016 at 5:03 PM Post #42 of 1,054
I am interested in knowing what DACs pair up well with the Phonitor E to give a transparent to slightly warm presentation.

Dec 29, 2016 at 9:03 AM Post #45 of 1,054
  Does anyone know what optional DAC is used in the Phonitor e or X?  Can't find info on the SPL website.  May write to them to see.

'Optimal' depends on your preferences. I found the PX to be very transparent; it'll showcase whatever you put through it. 

It's up to you to go for either a clinical or musical DAC. 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back