SR-71 or XP-7
Mar 13, 2005 at 5:45 PM Post #16 of 21
I auditioned them both at a Chicago Head-Fi meet with Ray's switchbox and they're suprisingly close. I was hard-pressed to tell a difference, to be honest.

Mar 13, 2005 at 6:09 PM Post #17 of 21
Quote:

Originally Posted by pigmode
Been thinking about getting an Emmeline.

I've never seen any definitive comments on the differences between the SR71/XP7, and also the HR2. I would expect the HR2 to have a much more refined sound in terms of a lower noise floor and increased detail resolution. Same with the XP7 (especially with the optional power supply) over the SR71. Op amp rolling is fine, but its not something I would pay extra for.

Has no one compared these amps in a control system?

Ive compared the sr-71 and hr2 in an a/b setting as well as my own home setting. It takes a good amount of time with both to spot any differences, an A/B at a meet will practically reveal no differences at all due to the quality of ray's products as well as the listening conditions. I have found the hr-2 to have a wider soundstage, not that much bigger, but it is more than noticeable. The HR2 has a slightly fuller and warmer sound, but i think the noise floor is just as black between the sr-71 and hr-2.

Mar 15, 2005 at 9:38 AM Post #18 of 21
I pulled the trigger on the SR71 -> XP7 tonight, can't wait!!

Any good sources / suggestions for op-amps btw? at the least i think i want to try the AD797 as so many have spoken of w/ that (ala HR2)...

Mar 15, 2005 at 11:12 AM Post #20 of 21
Quote:

Originally Posted by bhd812
its hr2...

go 797 buddy

why do i always get ray's product names wrong...

so where do I go about buying said op-amp(s)? do i need one? two? three? 10?
biggrin.gif

Mar 15, 2005 at 1:19 PM Post #21 of 21
Quote:

Originally Posted by dmoffitt
why do i always get ray's product names wrong...

so where do I go about buying said op-amp(s)? do i need one? two? three? 10?
biggrin.gif

Try Digi-Key. You want the "AN" variety.

http://www.digikey.com/scripts/DkSea...?KeywordSearch

You need two, one for each channel.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back