Stock MG Head tubes
Aug 17, 2001 at 7:49 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 10

briantf27

100+ Head-Fier
Well, my MG Head has finally arrived, so now my signature is truthful.
wink.gif

I was mildly surprised to find Russian Sovtek power tubes in there. I expected something cheaper and crappier. Nevertheless, the Bugle Boys are going right in for the burn in... My thoughts will follow within a week or so.

Brian.

Aug 17, 2001 at 7:57 PM Post #2 of 10
Replacing the stock tubes is well worth it, and from your sig., it looks like you'll be having a grand ol' time in a week or less!
smily_headphones1.gif

Aug 17, 2001 at 8:15 PM Post #4 of 10
Quote:

Originally posted by briantf27
Nevertheless, the Bugle Boys are going right in for the burn in... My thoughts will follow within a week or so.

Looking forward to your response. I had good luck with the Bugle Boys, Telefunken ribbed plates, and some nice RCAs -- 12AX7.

I used EI EL-84's, and those helped too.

I didn't keep the MG Head long enough to try the GE "black plate" 5751's, but I always wanted to know how those sounded too.

Have fun listening this weekend!

Aug 17, 2001 at 8:38 PM Post #5 of 10
I'm looking forward to your initial review as well as this is one product I'm looking into. But now I'm also looking at the Sugden Headmaster.

Aug 17, 2001 at 9:31 PM Post #6 of 10
I'm up and running with Bugle Boy EL84s and a Sylvania Gold Brand 5751. First impression: Ooooooooooooooooooooohhhhhhh Baaaaaby!!!

I'm not listenting to music in a tunnel anymore!!

Aug 17, 2001 at 10:06 PM Post #7 of 10
What colour did you get it in? Or did you have a choice?

Aug 17, 2001 at 10:07 PM Post #8 of 10
I think he's happy...
wink.gif

Sylvanias have always been a good choice for the MG Head, IMHO. And GE BPs are also pretty good.

Aug 17, 2001 at 10:20 PM Post #9 of 10
Quote:

Originally posted by RGA
What colour did you get it in? Or did you have a choice?

I had no choice, and I'll be posting pics soon.

This was worth the money. Very much so.

Aug 17, 2001 at 10:41 PM Post #10 of 10
Quote:

Originally posted by dhwilkin
I think he's happy...
wink.gif

Sylvanias have always been a good choice for the MG Head, IMHO. And GE BPs are also pretty good.

Happy as a clam!

Yeah, I pretty much consider the Sylvania GBs to be my reference, but also have some Bugle Boys, GE BPs, and miscellaneous Raytheon, Tung Sol, and Telefunkens lying around... And that's more or less in order of my most to least preferred.
smily_headphones1.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back