Stunning BHSE Tweak
Apr 18, 2013 at 4:48 PM Post #3 of 27
Quote:
Originally Posted by rsbrsvp /img/forum/go_quote.gif

I disconnected the RK50 volume attenuator in my BHSE.  Both of them claimed the Alps RK50 circuit was muddling up the sound and that I would be better off with either a properly built passive amplifier or to control the volume digitally from the Mac itself. This is certainly the most inexpensive tweak I ever tried as I only had to pay my local technician about $50.00 to disconnect the volume control and replace it with a 50K resistor as instructed to me by Justin of Headamp.

I'm afraid that opportunity cost belies the frugality you attribute to this mod.

Apr 19, 2013 at 1:22 AM Post #4 of 27
The problem is, by using a digital volume control you'll be increasing distortion.

Apr 19, 2013 at 2:03 AM Post #5 of 27
The problem is, by using a digital volume control you'll be increasing distortion.

That is what I was thinking.

Apr 19, 2013 at 1:11 PM Post #8 of 27
Just shows that those guys are utterly clueless.  You are aware the RK50 was the volume control of choice for Sony every time they made a ultra high end preamp, ditto for Accuphase?  These are serious engineering companies and cost was no object with any of those projects. 

Just looked at that Ultrafi stuff, what a bloody joke.  "Audio optimization for computers" that is up there with those hand made USB cables which don't even come close to meeting the USB spec. 

Apr 20, 2013 at 2:54 PM Post #10 of 27
Quote:
Well-  If it is not the volume pot I have an idea of what may be causing the incredible cleanup of sound.  For years, when my MAC Mini was paused or not playing but all my equipment was on I have been hearing a low level hum. The louder the volume the louder the hum, but even low volumes had some noise.  I have tried over the years many avenues to get rid of it including ground lifting all my equipment to no avail.  Whatever my technician did once he removed the volume pot from the signal, there is now for the first time in my history of ownership of by BHSE zero detectable noise.   I believe it is possible that whatever happened to get rid of that noise, may be what has allowed a much superior sound to shine through.

I can see how getting rid of noise provides for an unambiguous net benefit to the overall sound, but wouldn't this then be a "fix" specific to your own system rather than a "tweak" to recommend to others?

Apr 20, 2013 at 3:18 PM Post #12 of 27
gosh.....justin gave the alps rk50 for 1k upgrade and there's a reason behind it. and out of from advise of some bloke that claims they are expert you bypass it. this sounds to me that either justin is dumb or clueless or simply out there to rip his buyer for 1k OR those bloke that you've dealing with is clueless and/or out there to rip you off. i tend to believe the latter since if this bloke is as qualified as justin, they've already build their amp.

now, would you care to ship the rk50 to me for $100, wait, make that 200. Shipping excluded. CONUS or International, your choice

Apr 20, 2013 at 3:32 PM Post #13 of 27
Quote:
Well-  If it is not the volume pot I have an idea of what may be causing the incredible cleanup of sound.  For years, when my MAC Mini was paused or not playing but all my equipment was on I have been hearing a low level hum. The louder the volume the louder the hum, but even low volumes had some noise.  I have tried over the years many avenues to get rid of it including ground lifting all my equipment to no avail.  Whatever my technician did once he removed the volume pot from the signal, there is now for the first time in my history of ownership of by BHSE zero detectable noise.   I believe it is possible that whatever happened to get rid of that noise, may be what has allowed a much superior sound to shine through.

I take it the Mac mini is connected to the audio chain somehow?  Feeding USB into the dac?  That exposes the whole signal chain to the utterly terrible PSU in the Mac and the noise it injects into the ground.  USB inputs should be optically isolated to get rid of the nasty PSU's found in computers but I'm only aware of one company that does just that. 

Apr 20, 2013 at 3:47 PM Post #14 of 27
Quote:
I take it the Mac mini is connected to the audio chain somehow?  Feeding USB into the dac?  That exposes the whole signal chain to the utterly terrible PSU in the Mac and the noise it injects into the ground.  USB inputs should be optically isolated to get rid of the nasty PSU's found in computers but I'm only aware of one company that does just that. 

Quote:
Originally Posted by rsbrsvp /img/forum/go_quote.gif

A few months ago I purchased a Power source for my Mac Mini from Mojo Audio to replace the cheap one that comes with the Mac Mini- and again- things cleaned up even more in addition to some other sonic magic.

You must have missed this Spritzer, it's from the OP. I think rsbrsvp may well be on to something here, taking components out of the signal path and all that. Maybe you could give this an objective test?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back