Suggestions for new Headphone Amp/PreAmp under $1000?
Mar 27, 2024 at 1:52 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 9

PinkyPowers

Reviewer: The Headphone List
I've been out of the audiophile game for a few years now, and am in the market for a new amp. All my gear is setup for balanced, so I'd prefer the amp to also be fully balanced. It needs to be well suited as a pre-amp for powered monitors, as well.

I'm currently using the Topping DX7Pro as my DAC/PreAmp, and run it to my old Audio-GD NFB-28 when I want to power my headphones properly.

The Topping A90 Discrete caught my attention, but I'm open to suggestions.

Thanks for your time,

Pinky

Last edited:
Mar 27, 2024 at 2:09 PM Post #2 of 9
I've got the A90, A90 discrete, and A70Pro and keeping the A70Pro permanently since it beats everything I've ever heard. AliExpress has a big sale until the 28th with discounts and coupons, but there's sale pricing on Amazon also for them. I put it on an SMSL DL200 DAC which outputs 5 volts and maxes out performance. The D-6s is also 5 volts if you want the smaller form factor.

Mar 27, 2024 at 6:41 PM Post #3 of 9
I've got the A90, A90 discrete, and A70Pro and keeping the A70Pro permanently since it beats everything I've ever heard. AliExpress has a big sale until the 28th with discounts and coupons, but there's sale pricing on Amazon also for them. I put it on an SMSL DL200 DAC which outputs 5 volts and maxes out performance. The D-6s is also 5 volts if you want the smaller form factor.
Thanks for sharing. I'll look into the A70Pro as well!

Mar 27, 2024 at 7:51 PM Post #4 of 9
https://earmen-shop.com/products/earmen-st-amp

Earmen has a sale going on for the st amp. Original price was $599.

Good deal price to performance for an amp, it does have a basic dac but its mostly amp.

Might be more suitable for iems as it doesn't have a gain switch.

Mar 27, 2024 at 8:53 PM Post #5 of 9
https://earmen-shop.com/products/earmen-st-amp

Earmen has a sale going on for the st amp. Original price was $599.

Good deal price to performance for an amp, it does have a basic dac but its mostly amp.

Might be more suitable for iems as it doesn't have a gain switch.

Thanks. But my desktop setup is mostly for full-size headphones and speakers. I tend to use my IEMs with DAPs, only.

Mar 27, 2024 at 9:02 PM Post #6 of 9
Mar 28, 2024 at 6:40 AM Post #7 of 9
Mar 29, 2024 at 8:48 AM Post #8 of 9
After more research, I'm now learning heavily towards the Schiit Mjolnir 3. Any thoughts on this choice? Good, bad, or otherwise?

I also expect to splurge on the ZMF Atrium before too long. I'd love to hear your opinions on how this system might pair.

Thanks.

Mar 29, 2024 at 10:28 AM Post #9 of 9

Users who are viewing this thread

Back