SW1X DACs and more
Mar 3, 2020 at 4:19 PM Post #16 of 83
Well, I am happy to say that I am the new owner of an SW1X DAC II w/ USB & AudioNote capacitors. I have enjoyed working w/ Slawa.

For now, all I will say is that this thing is full of music :wink:

Here is the last picture we took before we put the top on this Saturday:

20200229_171655.jpg

You can see a few capacitors next to the DAC on the right. We spent some time listening to another DAC of his swapping capacitors to see their effects. It was pretty surprising (to me, not Slawa) how big the difference can be just for swapping 2 caps!

I will post more impressions and comments as I listen, evolve and catch 200h or so of burn-in, which is what we expect for the capacitors to take...

Really enjoying this song as I type:

Apr 8, 2020 at 8:48 PM Post #21 of 83
Looking at the prices I wonder if the DAC I can battle against Kingwa's R8, and anything from III to V vs the Rockna Wavedream and Wavedream Signature.

Apr 9, 2020 at 3:18 AM Post #22 of 83
Looking at the prices I wonder if the DAC I can battle against Kingwa's R8, and anything from III to V vs the Rockna Wavedream and Wavedream Signature.

I think those are valid comparisons. I have heard great things about the Wavedream FWIW, but I have never heard them. Once we exit #covidmadness2020 happy to have a London based comparison day if anyone has these DACs :). At the more expensive range w/ Rockna, I'd also like to hear vs a Pavane.

Continuing up the Lapizator DAC comparisons would also be very valid and they are closer in construction perhaps. I do know at least one SW1X owner (not sure if he is on a DAC 3 or 4) who came from a more expensive Lampi DAC, but I think they are also nice.

Jul 18, 2020 at 8:59 AM Post #23 of 83
I made a video review about the Sw1X DAC I Special :) This is some cool R2R magic stuff going on right there. In fact, it may very well be the most musical DAC I experimented to date, the only little downside is that it only takes SPDIF inputs, and there is no USB in, so it may not be quite as universal as ome of the other DACs I review in general...

Jul 18, 2020 at 10:24 AM Post #24 of 83
I made a video review about the Sw1X DAC I Special :) This is some cool R2R magic stuff going on right there. In fact, it may very well be the most musical DAC I experimented to date, the only little downside is that it only takes SPDIF inputs, and there is no USB in, so it may not be quite as universal as ome of the other DACs I review in general...

FYI - Slawa can, and does build USB units that can be mounted in any of his DACs. My DAC II has a USB unit in it.

Oct 24, 2020 at 3:44 AM Post #28 of 83
Today will be my 1st tube roll in this DAC. Slawa recommended "6N6P from the 60s with a square getter from the Foton factory". I found one via Russia and it turned up after a few weeks in the post. It is not really super accessible, but you just have to pop the top off, change tubes and get back to business really.

In the garish bright photo, the square getter can be seen. The other photo included because it is slightly more flattering.

20201024_084022.jpg

20201024_083849.jpg

Oct 24, 2020 at 7:25 AM Post #29 of 83
Today will be my 1st tube roll in this DAC. Slawa recommended "6N6P from the 60s with a square getter from the Foton factory". I found one via Russia and it turned up after a few weeks in the post. It is not really super accessible, but you just have to pop the top off, change tubes and get back to business really.

In the garish bright photo, the square getter can be seen. The other photo included because it is slightly more flattering.

Nice...any changes to the sound output?

Last edited:
Oct 24, 2020 at 9:52 AM Post #30 of 83
Nice...any changes to the sound output?
The DAC usually sounds best after it has been on for some hours. Clearly, I turned the DAC off, let it cool down, etc before turning it back on.
The new tube is NOS with no hours on it. Usually tubes sound better after some time settling.
You can hear a change pretty much right off after letting it warm back up a bit. It is not as profound as changing DACs mind you, but it seemed to push a little more space between the images (in a good way). I'm curious to see how it goes from here. I kept the same tubes in the amp and I'll keep them both steady for the next few days to see if there are any more changes.

-Chris

N.B. A 1st DAC roll makes me envious of @leftside and @Monsterzero with their TRPs (tube roller's paradise)!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back