T+A HiFi - DAC 200 - Official Discussion Thread
Mar 5, 2024 at 2:49 AM Post #421 of 494
Well, the DAC 200 was already introduced in 2021 and I guess there is still some room for improvement (I2S input, PEQ, dig. output, SRC, FW update process,…).
T+A should also clean up all these proprietary connectors (5!), which are useless for most of the people and add I2S instead.
i‘m not aware of any DAC with so many proprietary connections than the DAC 200 - what a waste of money!

Last edited:
Mar 5, 2024 at 4:55 AM Post #422 of 494
Well, the DAC 200 was already introduced in 2021 and I guess there is still some room for improvement (I2S input, PEQ, dig. output, SRC, FW update process,…).
T+A should also clean up all these proprietary connectors (5!), which are useless for most of the people and add I2S instead.
i‘m not aware of any DAC with so many proprietary connections than the DAC 200 - what a waste of money!
Which proprietary connectors are you talking about?

Also please email them and request i2S. I did so in the past and it would be nice if more people request it directly

Last edited:
Mar 5, 2024 at 6:22 AM Post #423 of 494
You need to hear the T+A DAC200 - especially played through the true DSD one bit discrete DAC. It is so much better than anything I have experienced. I have not heard the Holo May in my setup but that is an alternative which is apparently stellar too. There is a problem with the sound quality from all chip based DACs I have heard - pre and post echoes are not detected by current test methods and despite their impressive numbers all these modern DAC chips have audible issues. Like Boeing and many other examples I could give, it seems our modern day manufacturers have forgotten and abandoned good engineering principles in favour of convenience/cost. Pre-echos and post echos have been known about for at least 25 years and are an inherent product from passband equiripple in the DAC chip filters. This is the reason there has been so much interest in DAC output filtering with various options on many DAC chips - it is all ‘Band aids” to the more fundamental issue of upsampling filters.

Last edited:
Mar 5, 2024 at 7:28 AM Post #424 of 494
Prices were just raised roughly 6% in the US on the Dac 200 so doubt it is going anywhere soon.

Mar 5, 2024 at 9:29 AM Post #426 of 494
SYS IN
USB SYS
2x E2 LINK
CTRL
Do I need any of these connectors in a non T+A HiFi setup?
These are used for proprietary features within the T+A system. Like connection between MP200 and DAC200 or for maintenance checks by T+A themselves.
Of course they require proprietary connections.

Mar 5, 2024 at 2:41 PM Post #428 of 494
Honestly there should’ve be any reason for a proprietary connection.
Why do you need a proprietary connection between the DAC and the amp?
If you're refering to the E2 connection that's so that both devices work with the same remote and App, that both Power on/off when you press it on either of the devices.
Or that you have to set Display brightness only once and all devices use the same setting
A comfort feature.

Mar 5, 2024 at 3:45 PM Post #430 of 494
Sounds like a complete overkill.
Anyway, I hope we will soon see a DAC 200 MK2 with an I2S input and other useful features:wink:
I'd also like i2S Inputs on all T+A Devices, including my MP2000R

Mar 6, 2024 at 9:49 AM Post #431 of 494
No need for i2s, USB works just fine.

Mar 6, 2024 at 9:52 AM Post #432 of 494
No need for i2s, USB works just fine.
Well SPDIF in works also fine, still wouldn't say it's the only input you need.

There are good Servers with i2S output and the T+A gear could benefit from an i2s Input

Mar 6, 2024 at 9:57 AM Post #433 of 494
Well my only experience with i2s is between Holo Red and Holo Spring 3. In that comparison, USB sounded clearly better. SPDIF optical works great for TV and there's even the optional HDMi module available, which is very rare on products at this level. I can only think of Linn and Lumin who offer HDMi also.

Mar 6, 2024 at 12:11 PM Post #435 of 494
Not for me. My streamer/CD transport does not provide an USB interface but it is equipped with an I2S output.
SPDIF is limited to 192k.
Well that's weird for sure, no USB but I2S. Care to share which model is this?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back