Tanchjim in ear monitors Impressions Thread
May 29, 2023 at 3:17 PM Post #1,471 of 1,514
I do really like tanya for vocals. Is there a good upgrade from this one without sacrificing mids?

Thx

May 29, 2023 at 7:24 PM Post #1,472 of 1,514
KARA is close

May 29, 2023 at 9:01 PM Post #1,473 of 1,514
I do really like tanya for vocals. Is there a good upgrade from this one without sacrificing mids?

Thx

Have you tried the Tanchjim Tanya DSP?

It is a bit less bassy and more balanced (less muddy) than the original Tanya.

Alternatively, the upcoming Tanchjim Kara (I tried a protoype at Can Jam) is a warm midcentric set, warm midcentric with thick note weight and smooth as silk. Technicalities are decent too. I heard it will retail at $179 USD in June. Will probably be buying one if funds allow.

May 29, 2023 at 9:56 PM Post #1,474 of 1,514

Alternatively, the upcoming Tanchjim Kara (I tried a protoype at Can Jam) is a warm midcentric set, warm midcentric with thick note weight and smooth as silk. Technicalities are decent too. I heard it will retail at $179 USD in June. Will probably be buying one if funds allow.
I hope you can get one, so that you can compare it against the Aful, winter and yume2 :))

May 30, 2023 at 2:47 AM Post #1,475 of 1,514

Oh i though kara would b pricier. If the technicalities r good vs current iems in that segment ( @vandung2510 mentioned some ) then it can b a good buy

May 30, 2023 at 3:48 AM Post #1,476 of 1,514
Oh i though kara would b pricier. If the technicalities r good vs current iems in that segment ( @vandung2510 mentioned some ) then it can b a good buy

I heard the Kara on a showroom floor (not the most ideal environment), plus it is not the final tuning, so take these impressions with a pinch of salt.

Compared to the 3 that @vandung2510 was talking about, the Aful Performer 5, BQEYZ Winter and See Audio Yume2, I think the Kara has the thickest note weight and the most natural timbre. Performer 5 is U-shaped, warm and sub-bass heavy, whereas Winter and Yume 2 are more neutral/neutral bright. The Kara is warm midcentric, with lesser upper treble than the Yume 2 and Winter.

In technicalities, probably the Kara loses out to the Winter and Yume 2. It is about on par with Performer 5. Will need to do some direct A/B testing in a quiet environment (hopefully with the final tuning) to confirm this.

May 30, 2023 at 4:35 AM Post #1,477 of 1,514
I heard the Kara on a showroom floor (not the most ideal environment), plus it is not the final tuning, so take these impressions with a pinch of salt.

Compared to the 3 that @vandung2510 was talking about, the Aful Performer 5, BQEYZ Winter and See Audio Yume2, I think the Kara has the thickest note weight and the most natural timbre. Performer 5 is U-shaped, warm and sub-bass heavy, whereas Winter and Yume 2 are more neutral/neutral bright. The Kara is warm midcentric, with lesser upper treble than the Yume 2 and Winter.

In technicalities, probably the Kara loses out to the Winter and Yume 2. It is about on par with Performer 5. Will need to do some direct A/B testing in a quiet environment (hopefully with the final tuning) to confirm this.
Less upper treble would a no for me but lets wait for final version. Hopefully you will compare it with O2, and put things in perspective 😊
Btw loved your Ru7 impressions, waiting for few more before I pull trigger. Can i ask how it goes with O2 an s12 pro? (wrong thread?)

May 30, 2023 at 4:56 AM Post #1,478 of 1,514
Less upper treble would a no for me but lets wait for final version. Hopefully you will compare it with O2, and put things in perspective 😊
Btw loved your Ru7 impressions, waiting for few more before I pull trigger. Can i ask how it goes with O2 an s12 pro? (wrong thread?)

The Tanchjim Oxygen has thinner note weight than the Kara prototype, Oxygen has a bit more upper frequencies and lesser bass. Technically I think the Kara may shade it a bit, though Oxygen has a more natural timbre.

The RU7 is a warmish dongle, so if paired with something very warm, it may make the sound too veiled and muddy. The RU7 is hence a good pairing with Oxygen and S12 Pro which are not too warm, so they balance out well.

May 30, 2023 at 5:03 AM Post #1,479 of 1,514
The Tanchjim Oxygen has thinner note weight than the Kara prototype, Oxygen has a bit more upper frequencies and lesser bass. Technically I think the Kara may shade it a bit, though Oxygen has a more natural timbre.

The RU7 is a warmish dongle, so if paired with something very warm, it may make the sound too veiled and muddy. The RU7 is hence a good pairing with Oxygen and S12 Pro which are not too warm, so they balance out well.
thanks 🙌😊

Jun 1, 2023 at 12:33 AM Post #1,481 of 1,514
Guys, having the Hana 2021, is the Oxygen a nice pick? FRs looks the same to me.

Also, could u tell me how to distinguish different oxygen versions to get the best driver?

The Hana 2021 has similar tonality but is a bit weaker in technicalities. Ballpark maybe Hana 2021 can hit about 80% - 85% of the Oxygen, but Hana is cheaper.

The first versions of the Oxygen had the best drivers and best sound, but there was supposedly a stealth retune with revamped drivers for the later models. Mine is one of the pioneer batch, and I haven't tried the new ones, but a friend who has both says that the newer ones don't sound as good (not sure if this is unit variance involved or an actual deficit in sound of the newer batch). He says the older ones had more sub-bass?

Whatever the case, I think anything sold now brand new on the shelves is purportedly using the newer drivers, so probably if you can get your hands on an Oxygen from 2 - 3 years back, that would ideally be the older batch with so-called better drivers.

Jun 19, 2023 at 4:59 AM Post #1,485 of 1,514
First impression with Kara: bassier and warmer than Kato, though Kato still has faster and more resolving bass (I'd say tuning wise Kato is the more "fun" of the two). Mids and treble feel quite smooth and less peaky than your usual Tanchijims, with nice extension and details, also noticeably better soundstage than Kato in this area. The 3D printed shell is very light. Making this a easy-listening daily driver for me.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back