Technics EAH-AZ80 True Wireless Earbuds
May 18, 2023 at 11:03 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 266

C_Lindbergh

Headphoneus Supremus
Dedicated thread for the new AZ80's

Stay on top of your game with impressively powerful, noise cancelling AZ80 earbuds with reference-quality high-resolution audio. Like you, these buds work as hard as they play, with state-of-the-art noise cancellation so you can focus on your critical business. A must-have for high-priority business calls, with an advanced noise-reducing algorithm
to minimize outside interference, and multipoint connectivity to three devices—an industry first.

• Our highest standard of hi-res audio; masterfully crafted 10mm free-edge dynamic driver and unique acoustic structure render stunningly transcendent sound, with immersive, industry-leading noise cancelling
  • Industry-first 3-point multipoint connection to your computer and mobile devices, so you can go from leading a meeting to listening to a podcast to taking a call—seamlessly
  • Improved JustMyVoice technology uses with 8 high-sensitivity MEMS mics, a sensitive voice detection signal, and surrounding noise suppression to capture and transmit your voice clearly
  • High-quality concha fit foam conforms to the contours of the ear for snug stability; 7 sizes of silicone earpieces (XS1, XS2, S1, S2, M, L, and XL) give a customizable fit
$299.99

https://us.technics.com/products/hi...se-cancelling-eah-az80?variant=43945597403371

Screenshot 2023-05-18 at 17-02-26 Premium Hi-Fi True Wireless Earbuds with Noise Cancelling - ...png

May 19, 2023 at 8:51 AM Post #3 of 266
Tempting to try out! Direct competition for the forthcoming Sony WF-1000XM5.

May 19, 2023 at 2:11 PM Post #4 of 266
Tempting to try out! Direct competition for the forthcoming Sony WF-1000XM5.
My guess is that the XM5s will have slightly better ANC/Transparency, but on most other fronts my guess is that the AZ80 is the winner. But we'll see, it will be in an interesting comparison. They will both most likely sit at the top of the TWS-landscape.

Jun 9, 2023 at 7:16 PM Post #5 of 266
Last edited:
Jun 10, 2023 at 3:33 AM Post #6 of 266
Jun 19, 2023 at 6:02 PM Post #7 of 266
Agreed.
My favourite wireless buds this and last year (and i've been through alot!!, Xiaomi Buds Pro 4, Enco x2, FreeBuds Pro 2, Nothing Ear 2, OnePlus Buds Pro 2, Samsung Buds 2 Pro, Bose QC2, 1 more Evo, Nuratune Pro to name bud a few )... (alot of sequel buds!)

What EQ is everyone using? (and what genres of music do you usually listen to)

I've seen reviewers switching between Treble, Flat, and Dynamic (all sound good to me - a shame there isn't a fast eq toggle on earbuds to quickly switch depending on what you are listening to)

Also, Technics really did improve the 'Just My Voice' feature.
Previously on the az60 it was almost unusable for me (you had to really shout for it to pick up my voice correctly), but now it's great.

Jul 7, 2023 at 2:07 PM Post #8 of 266
Agreed.
My favourite wireless buds this and last year (and i've been through alot!!, Xiaomi Buds Pro 4, Enco x2, FreeBuds Pro 2, Nothing Ear 2, OnePlus Buds Pro 2, Samsung Buds 2 Pro, Bose QC2, 1 more Evo, Nuratune Pro to name bud a few )... (alot of sequel buds!)

What EQ is everyone using? (and what genres of music do you usually listen to)

I've seen reviewers switching between Treble, Flat, and Dynamic (all sound good to me - a shame there isn't a fast eq toggle on earbuds to quickly switch depending on what you are listening to)

Also, Technics really did improve the 'Just My Voice' feature.
Previously on the az60 it was almost unusable for me (you had to really shout for it to pick up my voice correctly), but now it's great.
Have you used the Status Between Pro/3ANC and would you pick the AZ80 over those and the Nura Pro everytime? I listen to hyperpop and rap.

Aug 6, 2023 at 11:05 PM Post #9 of 266
I've ordered a pair because I'm not happy with the fit and feel of the Sony WF-1000XM5. My primary areas of decision-making are the quality of the sound (LDAC is a must) and the comfort of the earpieces. Plus I think the Sonys are far, far too easy to drop because they're so tiny and the plastic shells are far too slippery.

Last edited:
Aug 7, 2023 at 8:32 AM Post #10 of 266
I saw the review for the wf xm5s and was not impressed by the microphone quality. Have had a pair of the AZ80s since launch and not had any complaints about the microphone. Before my AZ80s I had the wf xm4s and was always having issues with the microphone.
I think for me the AZ80s have the right musicality and comfort for my requirements. The microphone was the icing on the cake

Aug 8, 2023 at 3:05 PM Post #11 of 266
Is the AZ80's LDAC SQ and connectivity a worthwhile feature? In theory it should be but I'm more interested in real world experience. Any AZ80 connection issues using LDAC?

Aug 9, 2023 at 12:29 AM Post #12 of 266
I've ordered a pair because I'm not happy with the fit and feel of the Sony WF-1000XM5. My primary areas of decision-making are the quality of the sound (LDAC is a must) and the comfort of the earpieces. Plus I think the Sonys are far, far too easy to drop because they're so tiny and the plastic shells are far too slippery.
Like you I tried the new XM5s and while I liked the sound improvements over the XM4s I was really underwhelmed with the fit and finish. I used the XM4s for quite awhile and loved them but knew right away the tiny, generic and un-ergonomic shape of the XM5s was not going to work for me.

I had purchased a set of the Technics AZ60s a year ago and liked them but they have an uncomfortable edge near the nozzle that made them less comfortable and I preferred the sound of the XM4s. Well I recently updated the firmware on the AZ60s and was actually impressed with the sound! This led me to reading up on the newer AZ80s which have a totally redesigned shell. I pulled the trigger and they arrived today. Here are a few quick observations:

• The fit and comfort is PHENOMENAL- these are the most ergonomic TWS ear buds I have tried. They went for more of an IEM shape than most other consumer-grade ear buds.
  • The standard tuning is definitely a step up from the AZ60s (AZ60s were so over-bloated with bass).
  • The mid-bass is a tad more prominent than the sub-bass but man these can really rumble.
  • The buds and case but have a far superior fit and finish than the XM5s
  • I love the IEM-like shape as they are so easy to grab with your fingers and position into your ears
  • The stock tuning is still too bass heavy and the highs are a tad muted- this is very fixable with the EQ in the app though
  • LDAC pairing and quality is reliable and sounds great out of my Pixel 6
  • The app is very busy but I love all the settings and customization options- this app is for Android lovers not iOS lol
  • ANC is not super important to me (other than my rare train rides into my office) but initial testing around the house it seems VERY good- I will test this more in noisier settings

Here are the EQ settings I am using for now. While the stock bass setting isn't as bloated at the AZ60 it is just way too much for as discerning listeners. Even with the bass dropped all the way down it is still elevated but combined with a little increase in the upper mids and highs this really balances and opens up the sound. It is impressively dynamic for a consumer TWS ear bud. I still need to get more acquainted with these but I am just blown away at all the boxes these check for comfort, style, fit & finish and most importantly sound (even from a audiophile perspective). I hope this is a successful product for Technics so they continue to develop this product category.

Screenshot_20230809-000716.png

PXL_20230809_041324858.jpg

Aug 9, 2023 at 11:54 AM Post #13 of 266
My set is out for delivery today. Hope I like 'em.

Anyone play around with other tips? I have a bunch of silicone tips ready to try, from SpinFit, Azla, Final Audio, Audiosense...

Aug 9, 2023 at 12:41 PM Post #15 of 266
I honestly liked the stock tips, didn't even bother trying my other pairs.
Yeah the stock tips work great and there are so many sizes included anyone should be able to find a good fit. Also the ear bud nozzles have a pretty pronounced lip which may not work with a lot of aftermarket tips.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back