The Astell & Kern AK240
Jan 11, 2014 at 8:34 AM Post #721 of 9,131
  Wow, I am wondering how much better portable sound can go regarding sound quality, or frankly how much it really needs to. Twice the cost of an AK120? that must be some improvement! Like the difference between a analogue cassette and and a CD to command that sort of price. Well for me anyway. The trouble is that we have reached the point where sound quality need not go any further as we can now surpass our parameters of hearing with  technology. We only have to look at these forums to see how subjective is our experience.
$2400:00!
blink.gif

Well the $780-ish Sony NW-ZX1 is quite an improvement over the AK120... :)

Jan 11, 2014 at 8:41 AM Post #724 of 9,131
Well the $780-ish Sony NW-ZX1 is quite an improvement over the AK120... :)

Please put "in my personal opinion" when making statements such as this. Your feelings are personal, when you write it as you have it comes across yours is the word of God and everyone should listen. This sadly is very prevalent on this forum and your not the only one to do it!

For me when I read statements such as this without the addition of "in my personal opinion" I completely ignore them as credible statements!

Jan 11, 2014 at 8:47 AM Post #725 of 9,131
Jan 11, 2014 at 8:54 AM Post #726 of 9,131
Please put "in my personal opinion" when making statements such as this. Your feelings are personal, when you write it as you have it comes across yours is the word of God and everyone should listen. This sadly is very prevalent on this forum and your not the only one to do it!

For me when I read statements such as this without the addition of "in my personal opinion" I completely ignore them as credible statements!

Well as it came from me, I'd say it is my personal opinion right? :)

Also most of us who have heard the ZX1 and the AK120 (and I do own both of them) I much prefer the ZX1, even if I can expand the memory of the AK120. I do like them both but I'd listen to the ZX1 more.

I'll listen and probably get a 240 so I can compare it with those, and see which, in my personal opinion (oui?), works for me :)

Is that in the context of sound quality?

For me, yes, and soundstaging as well as interface. Doesn't hurt that it takes just a few seconds to library scan than the one minute or so that the AK120 needs.

Jan 11, 2014 at 8:55 AM Post #727 of 9,131

the Walkman Z1070 was on par with the AK120, the ZX1 is a step-up over the Z1070... it looks like others may share a similar opinion.

still I suppose more $dollars could mean the AK240 is a big improvement.

Jan 11, 2014 at 9:00 AM Post #728 of 9,131

Well as it came from me, I'd say it is my personal opinion right? :)

Also most of us who have heard the ZX1 and the AK120 (and I do own both of them) I much prefer the ZX1, even if I can expand the memory of the AK120. I do like them both but I'd listen to the ZX1 more.

I'll listen and probably get a 240 so I can compare it with those, and see which, in my personal opinion (oui?), works for me :)

For me, yes, and soundstaging as well as interface. Doesn't hurt that it takes just a few seconds to library scan than the one minute or so that the AK120 needs.

The Sony over the AK for sound quality? (that was the only reference in my post)  really?.......Not my experience at all. Interesting.

Jan 11, 2014 at 9:10 AM Post #729 of 9,131
The Sony over the AK for sound quality (that was the only reference in my post)  really.......Not my experience at all. Interesting.

I was quite surprised as I dont really expect anything with sony anymore, but the ZX1 surprises. Safe to say I will let my other audiophile friends listen to both and decide for themselves which they prefer.

As for me, I love the ZX1 sound, and it has replaced my AK120 as I travel.

Jan 11, 2014 at 9:21 AM Post #731 of 9,131
I think we also need to factor in our personal preference of what we look for in sound/music and the synergy we achieve from our setup. Just out of curioisity, in what way does zx-1 performs better than ak120 in the sq department? I do recall zx-1 has a good sound stage.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back