The Astell & Kern AK240
Jan 11, 2014 at 11:25 AM Post #736 of 9,131
I think we also need to factor in our personal preference of what we look for in sound/music and the synergy we achieve from our setup. Just out of curioisity, in what way does zx-1 performs better than ak120 in the sq department? I do recall zx-1 has a good sound stage.

I think this is one of the best statements I have seen on this forum and is basically the gist of what I was getting at in my last post, thank you!

I say this to anyone who asks me what to get at this price point, go listen as at this level it is more about subtleties of sound rather than massive differences. From what I have heard of all the different top end players all of them play exceedingly well. I went with the 120 as it met as close as I could get to my own personal nirvana in sound reproduction, it was not better or worse than any of the other top line players, just suited how I like music delivered better for me.

Its when I see blanket statements that get my hackles up as there are folks here who may not have the chance to listen before purchase and may follow those blanket statements. For those people I will reiterate what I have just said. At this level, just as in cars, there are no bad players. Read a balanced overview from many people and get to know what those people say with various equipment so as to get where they are coming from in terms of how they like their sound reproduced, that will help I feel.

I don't know about you other folks who use the top end gear but I do feel a certain responsibility towards others when it comes to describing my equipment to achieve a balance so they can make good choices. I am not saying i get it right each time but I do try to achieve that balance and objectivity and that is where I was coming from in my previous post, not a personal attack and that is why I liked so much Cosmic's post.

Jan 11, 2014 at 12:10 PM Post #738 of 9,131
I was quite surprised as I dont really expect anything with sony anymore, but the ZX1 surprises. Safe to say I will let my other audiophile friends listen to both and decide for themselves which they prefer.

As for me, I love the ZX1 sound, and it has replaced my AK120 as I travel.

cool, makes me wonder, i am not big sony fan but if zx1 sounds so good and costs less then should i spend more on shiny ak120?
curious to hear other owners experiences.

Jan 11, 2014 at 12:47 PM Post #739 of 9,131
I went from the zx1 to the ak120 titan largely due to the extra storage room.

I think the ak120 titan is better build and more suited to commuters.

If you can deal with a slightly sluggish UI then ak120 is for you.

Jan 11, 2014 at 2:16 PM Post #740 of 9,131
cool, makes me wonder, i am not big sony fan but if zx1 sounds so good and costs less then should i spend more on shiny ak120?
curious to hear other owners experiences.

You can ask others in the ZX1 thread.. This is the 240 thread :)

Jan 11, 2014 at 2:22 PM Post #741 of 9,131
Q
I think this is one of the best statements I have seen on this forum and is basically the gist of what I was getting at in my last post, thank you!

I say this to anyone who asks me what to get at this price point, go listen as at this level it is more about subtleties of sound rather than massive differences. From what I have heard of all the different top end players all of them play exceedingly well. I went with the 120 as it met as close as I could get to my own personal nirvana in sound reproduction, it was not better or worse than any of the other top line players, just suited how I like music delivered better for me.

Its when I see blanket statements that get my hackles up as there are folks here who may not have the chance to listen before purchase and may follow those blanket statements. For those people I will reiterate what I have just said. At this level, just as in cars, there are no bad players. Read a balanced overview from many people and get to know what those people say with various equipment so as to get where they are coming from in terms of how they like their sound reproduced, that will help I feel.

I don't know about you other folks who use the top end gear but I do feel a certain responsibility towards others when it comes to describing my equipment to achieve a balance so they can make good choices. I am not saying i get it right each time but I do try to achieve that balance and objectivity and that is where I was coming from in my previous post, not a personal attack and that is why I liked so much Cosmic's post.

I see what you mean, and sorry if my statement came off sounding like that. I was just pointing out what I and other head-fiers who had/have the AK120 and opted to switch to the ZX1 experienced and believed in our own opinions what sounded best to us.

Audio is a very personal thing, and to each his own as well. We're on head-fi because we want to know and talk about how we listen and what is for us.

Long live the DAPs that make us so passionate about our music :)

Jan 11, 2014 at 2:27 PM Post #742 of 9,131
I bought the AK120 Titan and 2 micro cards and loaded my music onto the player...my first issue was that you have to load the music onto the player and the micro cards individually...my next issue was that when I went to artists on the main page I noticed that it was only showing the music I loaded directly onto the player not all of the music including the micro cards so I was forced to access my music from the folders themselves and the individual cards.In addition the UI is extremely sluggish,each time i tried to do any action i had to wait which drove me crazy.I did enjoy listening to my music on the player but in the end I returned it and decided to stick with my bulky Cowon X7

Jan 11, 2014 at 3:36 PM Post #743 of 9,131
I don't get why these daps not putting a 256GB internal card there. The lowly 256GB SD card costs only 400 bucks, and even the high-quality 256GB CF card costs about $1000. I am sure the audiophiles love to have the 256GB's.

Jan 11, 2014 at 4:07 PM Post #744 of 9,131
  I don't get why these daps not putting a 256GB internal card there. The lowly 256GB SD card costs only 400 bucks, and even the high-quality 256GB CF card costs about $1000. I am sure the audiophiles love to have the 256GB's.

It'll come within the next 12-18 months, but the problem is that the 256gb internal chips are not being manufactured in the same numbers as 64gb chips, at the moment, so they come at a severe premium, which may be more than many smaller companies (iBasso etc.) are willing to stretch themselves to.

Personally, until 256gb becomes more widely available, I would be content with 128gb onboard, and a single SD slot or 2 microSD slots.

As much as the AK240 is taking flak, at the moment, it does, at least, have 256gb onboard, and I bet that chip costs a hefty premium (not that it justifies the RRP of the DAP, but I bet the 256gb chip costs more than people realise).

Jan 11, 2014 at 4:21 PM Post #745 of 9,131
Just keep in mind the slots will slow down and probably drains more battery power. They should crank up internal gb's to the max and just let the audiophiles eat the $hit. Also SD's are less durable and fragile. I never been a fan of portable drive of a portable dap. Keep it simple that's way to eliminate or lower the potential problems.

BTW, my 8 yrs old D(a)M(n)_ipod has an internal 256GB CF card rockboxed and it never gives me a single hiccup.

Also from my DIY experience, the SD's do not sound on par with the CF's. But I'll keep it to my self without causing another debate.

Jan 11, 2014 at 10:37 PM Post #746 of 9,131
If this is portable it is supposed to be used outside with so many surrounding noises.

So far I own AK120 and it is certainly better than iPhone 5S at least but its sound sig is so flat... in my room that's OK but when outside I feel bass is lacking.

I am curious how 240 is going to be but if AK sticks to their flat sound sig personally I feel that is not really suitable for portable use.

Jan 11, 2014 at 10:40 PM Post #747 of 9,131
  If this is portable it is supposed to be used outside with so many surrounding noises.

So far I own AK120 and it is certainly better than iPhone 5S at least but its sound sig is so flat... in my room that's OK but when outside I feel bass is lacking.

I am curious how 240 is going to be but if AK sticks to their flat sound sig personally I feel that is not really suitable for portable use.

Well "flat is usaully a good thing. Sounds like you made a bad headphone choice.

Jan 11, 2014 at 10:41 PM Post #748 of 9,131

You can always EQ with an AK.

Jan 11, 2014 at 10:51 PM Post #749 of 9,131

It's not the DAP's fault that you are (trying) to listen in a noisy environment like outside. You need some very isolating earphones like silicone CIEMs or Full Cup Headphones.

Jan 11, 2014 at 11:01 PM Post #750 of 9,131
  Well "flat is usaully a good thing. Sounds like you made a bad headphone choice.

I use S-EM6 currently which is said to be rather flat in sound sig,,, so flat + flat AK120 might not be a good paring as you say.

But should I then chose rather bass heavy IEM instead of my favorite S-EM6???  that's not really nice.

Quote:
You can always EQ with an AK.

This might be a solution however it's more ideal to go without EQ I believe especially with high quality DAP.

It's not the DAP's fault that you are (trying) to listen in a noisy environment like outside. You need some very isolating earphones like silicone CIEMs or Full Cup Headphones.

Well it is impossible to cut ambient noise 100%... wonder a little if anyone should spend $2400 on portable DAP unless you stay in the room or studio...  and of course, using portable DAP in my room is not really making sense.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back