The Audeze LCD-2 Ortho thread (New)
Jan 30, 2012 at 7:17 AM Post #781 of 7,138

Quote:
Thanks a lot guys you have been extremely helpful!

I have a Schiit Lyr amp currently. I hope that's good enough to pair with the LCD-2. If not, I can always just upgrade my amp later on. I'm hoping that at the very least that can power it. 
 ​
And I'm definitely getting the carrying case. I actually travel quite a lot, and bring my equipment with me. So even more perfect. Can't tell you how excited I am. I've been wanting to get LCD for years. And I've been saving up for a year. 

The Lyr will definitely provide enough juice. I had one for a while. For >$500 it's a great little amp. Not the best, and if you spend any time here you will want to upgrade, but it is certainly sufficient and will provide them with enough power.

Jan 30, 2012 at 10:55 AM Post #782 of 7,138
After two months of listening to the LCD2r2, i still feel that the vocal part is not that "live" or open compare to speakers...

Jan 30, 2012 at 10:57 AM Post #783 of 7,138
Quote:
[snip]

and in slightly off-topic news, i want to buy speakers but have no idea where to start, are there any good forums like head-fi but for speakers ?

I don’t know of a better forum about speakers over another, but I will advise you to consider the Magnepan speakers (commonly referred to as « maggies ») if you enjoy the LCD-2’s sound signature. To me the maggies are the LCD-2s equivalent in terms of presentation in speakers. My father owns a set and when I go over I sometimes bring my phones for the fun of it (he is more a Sennheiser person, but I think the LCDs are starting to hitch him seriously). Anyways, the sound is very similar between maggies and LCDs (to our sets of ears anyhow).

www.magnepan.com (just don’t be put off by the horrendous site design)

Jan 30, 2012 at 11:24 AM Post #784 of 7,138
Just bought a set from Todd. He didnt have a set with the leatherband on it already but is throwing one in the box so I can put it on. Is this hard to do? Im at work and they block images so I cannot look at a set at the moment to see how the headband is setup.

Jan 30, 2012 at 11:49 AM Post #785 of 7,138

Quote:
Just bought a set from Todd. He didnt have a set with the leatherband on it already but is throwing one in the box so I can put it on. Is this hard to do? Im at work and they block images so I cannot look at a set at the moment to see how the headband is setup.

If it includes the forks you gently pull outwards on the forks and the cups should come out -- too easy in fact, wish there was more to it.

Jan 30, 2012 at 1:27 PM Post #787 of 7,138
@ Dreaming Of A Better ... Which country do you live? There are loads of forums, many locally based, which is practical because of local availability etc. Speakers aren't as easy to ship around as headphones. 

However, most people who have the LCD-2 has some experience with speakers, and probably have at least one speaker-rig..

Why don't you just start a thread here on head-fi called Speakers that sound like LCD-2 ? I'll contribute :)
Quote:
LCD-2 is a fantastic headphone, such a relief to hear the news of warranty extended to 3 years.

and in slightly off-topic news, i want to buy speakers but have no idea where to start, are there any good forums like head-fi but for speakers ?

Jan 30, 2012 at 4:43 PM Post #790 of 7,138

I really like it. I also have a Sansui 2000 and QR-4500 that I got from my dads house after he passed. The 2000 sounds pretty good aswell. I had to take it to work so I could use it daily. The 4500 is in the garage and is pretty loud. Im sure my neighbors dont care for it.

Quote:
That's a gorgeous amp. I personally love integrated amps with headphones.

It's certainly powerful enough. I can drive the LCD-2 from my MacBook unamped easily, and it even sounds not-half-bad. Unless there's some weird synergistic mismatch, it should be fine.

Jan 30, 2012 at 5:09 PM Post #791 of 7,138

Quote:
LCD-2 is a fantastic headphone, such a relief to hear the news of warranty extended to 3 years.

The best thing for you to do is find whatever audio salons are within driving distance near you and get first hand experience listening.   Listen to many different types of speakers to figure out what magic you ears are drawn to.   This will be give you ten fold the perspective that any forum can.

Jan 30, 2012 at 6:32 PM Post #793 of 7,138

Quote:
I have a Schiit Lyr amp currently. I hope that's good enough to pair with the LCD-2. If not, I can always just upgrade my amp later on. I'm hoping that at the very least that can power it. 

I have a Lyr myself and I'm very happy with what I hear.

I know there are much better (and expensive) setups, but you will be happy, I think

Users who are viewing this thread

Back