The Closed-Back Headphone Thread (Plus Comparisons & Reviews)
Jan 17, 2023 at 9:50 AM Post #5,536 of 6,376
Nice. "Go Case" is it? I'll have to look for one. How did you measure it were you able to try it out somewhere?
I have a couple like this. Basically any case for MSR7 or MSR7B or those budgety Sony headphones, the model I can't recall, should fit. I didn't try, but had MSR7B at the time and they're basically same size as WP900.

Jan 17, 2023 at 10:28 AM Post #5,537 of 6,376
Need advice please….I am trying to decide between the Meze Liric and Denon D9200. I cannot audition them and have read and watched as much information as I can before making a decision, but I’m still undecided.

From the photos and videos, I like the look of the Lirics, but believe I may like the sound of the 9200s. I will EQ them using Crinacle’s convolution filters and send them music from Qobuz/Audirvāna out of my MBP. I would like to remain somewhat portable on a DAC/AMP and leaning toward the M12 or Hidizs G9 Pro. My music preferences are diverse, but I mostly listen to jazz trio (from Christian Sands/Benny Green to OP) but I also like Kenny Burrell. My other most favorite genre is deep house, electronica/lounge. It appears the Lirics are especially open to EQ and I wonder how they compare to the D9200s after being EQ’d?

Given my use case, any advice on these (and other HPs) and DAC/AMPs is greatly appreciated! Thank you in advance - especially if you have/had either of these and can compare.

Jan 17, 2023 at 11:14 AM Post #5,542 of 6,376
I may be asking for the impossible here, but what are people's recommendations for a compact, foldable (i.e. highly portable), easy to drive, and ideally good looking closed back? (And great sounding of course)

I have the AKG K361 with dekoni pads - sounds great but terribly built and looks ugly (IMHO).

Aeon noire would have been the answer were it not so hard to drive and less bulky.

Any thoughts?
Maybe the Ultrasone Signature Pulse is worth a look, or it's siblings. :)

Jan 17, 2023 at 1:18 PM Post #5,543 of 6,376
Need advice please….I am trying to decide between the Meze Liric and Denon D9200. I cannot audition them and have read and watched as much information as I can before making a decision, but I’m still undecided.

From the photos and videos, I like the look of the Lirics, but believe I may like the sound of the 9200s. I will EQ them using Crinacle’s convolution filters and send them music from Qobuz/Audirvāna out of my MBP. I would like to remain somewhat portable on a DAC/AMP and leaning toward the M12 or Hidizs G9 Pro. My music preferences are diverse, but I mostly listen to jazz trio (from Christian Sands/Benny Green to OP) but I also like Kenny Burrell. My other most favorite genre is deep house, electronica/lounge. It appears the Lirics are especially open to EQ and I wonder how they compare to the D9200s after being EQ’d?

Given my use case, any advice on these (and other HPs) and DAC/AMPs is greatly appreciated! Thank you in advance - especially if you have/had either of these and can compare.
I own the D9200 and heard the Liric only at High End in Munich last year, so maybe im biased… but I like the D9200 much more. I seldom like planar drivers, and the Liric is no exception: just a bit too unengaging, not that nice enveloping bass of a good dynamic driver… comfort was good though. Yet harder to drive than the D9200.
I never use EQ, and one can’t do any wonders anyway. Much prefer to hear a headphone just as it was tuned.

Jan 17, 2023 at 10:37 PM Post #5,545 of 6,376
I agree. I often think about buying them again - it's really the best designed portable headphone out there (and also one of the best looking, IMO). Phenomenal build and a great performance overall. My only reservation was that they were slightly dry sounding, but perhaps EQ could remedy that.
Hello Nostoi, I use the HI-X60 and yes, with EQ they are quite tunable and nicely responsive

Jan 18, 2023 at 2:56 AM Post #5,548 of 6,376
Hello Nostoi, I use the HI-X60 and yes, with EQ they are quite tunable and nicely responsive
Thank you. I may try again. I was walking around Vienna yesterday with my WP900 on, and have to say felt a little self-conscious (same with Meze 99). What I loved about the HI-X60 is that they're so understated while also being aesthetically engaging.

Jan 19, 2023 at 10:43 PM Post #5,550 of 6,376
Alright, JM Audio Editions XTC (closed) may be my end game closed back and a serious competitor in the closed back headphones space. It easily dethrones the Focal Elegia for me and I think it's competitive with the Stellia (from memory - different but competitive). I just have to get my hands on a Stellia again to try. I hope maybe someone at a local meetup later this month brings one to let others try. Also have to revisit some ZMF too (from memory I like it more the the VC)...but so far this XTC is good stuff.

It has excellent soundstage and imaging due to JM's fractal mesh. A larger soundstage than normal for a closed back.

The beryllium driver he sourced is clearly of good quality - detailed and tight response. The bass is especially good. Really good.

Pretty comfortable and they aren't heavy.

It's a dynamic headphone in the direction of Focal but I find is less fatiguing (not that Focal is that fatiguing, but they can be for a long session). It's engaging and with it's detail you just want to keep listening more to see what else you can pick up.

There's actually quite a lot you can do with these. It came with a few ear pads. It has ports that you can cover to change the tuning a bit too. All of this I have yet to tinker with.

It's really an experience. I thought that experience would have ended once you order it, because it's a bit of a custom headphone. JM customizes the tuning a bit based on your input. The experience hasn't ended there though, because there's still all these adjustments you can make on your own - with everything you need right out of the box.

It'll be a bit before I can really put together a full review, but I wanted to share these early impressions (and a quick photo of them coming out of the box! I like the black ones too but the wood is pretty with a nice clear coat)

xtc-c.jpg

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back