The Closed-Back Headphone Thread (Plus Comparisons & Reviews)
Nov 26, 2023 at 6:47 PM Post #6,046 of 6,373
Oh, I know Focals have the best isolation--it's practically like having active noise-cancelation. But I was asking about the Gjallarhorn JM or any of the Kennerton closed-backs.

I have tried a few Focals (including the Radiance, albeit briefly) and I wasn't sold on the tuning and also found them to be a bit heavy and uncomfortable.
Yeah, I found the Radiance so so, a little blah. The Gjallarhorn has more character imo. As for isolation, it's better than a Fostex. I can't hear much of anything around me when using it. Comfort is hit and miss for people it seems - I have no issues. Way more comfortable than any Fostex or Denon I've had. I find it equally as comfortable as my Clear MG, with better balance and weight distribution. Doesn't feel as hefty on my head. The main complaint is the headband. Some folks have to bend it inward a bit for it to fit snug, and the metal band will ring a ding if you smack it with something. I have the original version which has less sub bass presence - haven't heard the JM version.

Nov 26, 2023 at 7:23 PM Post #6,047 of 6,373
How are 7200 and 5200 compared to 9200?
I had only the 7000, only the bass hump inflated the mid bass a lot, I sold them.
I haven't tried anything other than the 9200. The Gjallarhorn JM MK2 has a massive amount of bass. You would probbably be better getting the Rognir Dynamic or the non-jm Gjallarhorn 50.

Oh, I know Focals have the best isolation--it's practically like having active noise-cancelation. But I was asking about the Gjallarhorn JM or any of the Kennerton closed-backs.

I have tried a few Focals (including the Radiance, albeit briefly) and I wasn't sold on the tuning and also found them to be a bit heavy and uncomfortable.
The Kennerton closed-backs are on par with all non-active noise-cancelling headphones. Better than the semi closed th900/9200. Not quite as good as the Focals though.

Last edited:
Nov 27, 2023 at 2:15 AM Post #6,048 of 6,373
I haven't tried anything other than the 9200. The Gjallarhorn JM MK2 has a massive amount of bass. You would probbably be better getting the Rognir Dynamic or the non-jm Gjallarhorn 50.

The Kennerton closed-backs are on par with all non-active noise-cancelling headphones. Better than the semi closed th900/9200. Not quite as good as the Focals though.
JM XTC.2.5 , I can reduce the bass, unlike others, you can personalize and tung fir your needs.
Fostex 909 is real semi open is far better Kennerton with or witouth JM edition.
If you want better than JLM XTC X2.5 , you ha to pay more than 2 the price. Zbd not sure you're be okeased of the result.

After it depends on what you listen, classical, rock, soul etc... and what is your amp and Dac.

Last edited:
Dec 1, 2023 at 6:23 AM Post #6,051 of 6,373
9200 and TH900 are both quite open and offer (way) less isolation as Liric and Ether C offer for example.
Just to confirm, is it isolation from the outside noise? It's on my list of consideration also esp considering the comments above, but the reason for choosing a closed back is to be able to listen to the music in a noisy environment.

Dec 1, 2023 at 6:39 AM Post #6,052 of 6,373
Just to confirm, is it isolation from the outside noise? It's on my list of consideration also esp considering the comments above, but the reason for choosing a closed back is to be able to listen to the music in a noisy environment.
Yes isolation from outside noise. The 9200 isn't that bad at isolation - I'd say has fairly standard levels for a closed back (not as isolating as some others like the Liric and the Focal closed backs though).

Dec 1, 2023 at 6:45 AM Post #6,053 of 6,373
Oh, I know Focals have the best isolation--it's practically like having active noise-cancelation.
I wouldn't say that about the Elegia. "OK" is a more descriptive word.

Are there any better-isolationg ones?

Dec 1, 2023 at 6:48 AM Post #6,054 of 6,373
I wouldn't say that about the Elegia. "OK" is a more descriptive word.

Are there any better-isolationg ones?
Radiance and Stellia isolate very well - makes sense given the pads sealing better than the Elegia ones.

Dec 1, 2023 at 6:51 AM Post #6,055 of 6,373
Radiance and Stellia isolate very well - makes sense given the pads sealing better than the Elegia ones.
Any non-Focal headphones that isolate well or as good as Focal?

P.S. I used Elegia with the Dekoni Stellia pads.

Dec 1, 2023 at 8:53 AM Post #6,056 of 6,373

Rognir Planar isolates quite well but only with ECL-03 MF non-perforated pads.

Dec 1, 2023 at 10:06 AM Post #6,057 of 6,373

Dan Clark Audio Æon / Ether C and Liric isolate quite well from my experience. I have compared them to the Focal offering. Beyerdynamic T5 (if your ears fit the pads) is quite good as well.

Dec 1, 2023 at 1:23 PM Post #6,058 of 6,373
🤷‍♂️ Maybe a new contender (once more info is available)? I got a promotional email from Audio 46, but the link was dead (likewise on Moon Audio's site). Looks like they released the email a tad early, though it clearly says shipping this starting the 4th.

69b1c6c3-e992-47c5-a21f-1cf10a69c74c.png

Dec 1, 2023 at 1:24 PM Post #6,059 of 6,373
🤷‍♂️ Maybe a new contender (once more info is available)? I got a promotional email from Audio 46, but the link was dead (likewise on Moon Audio's site). Looks like they released the email a tad early, though it clearly says shipping this starting the 4th.

69b1c6c3-e992-47c5-a21f-1cf10a69c74c.png
Let’s see if they finally have more PRAT and dynamics.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back