The discovery thread!
Mar 3, 2024 at 2:56 AM Post #96,451 of 103,113
That was me, and I stand by it. Though it possibly ties with the Effect Audio Ares II+. Obviously this is very subjective!
Haha, glad to hear you like it so much. They are coming out with permanent plug version and it should be slightly different sounding? I should have it in about 2 or 3 days. Still though I’m curious what they are going to do to make the ASOS+ the +? What I’m saying is the original ASOS is so fantastic, I keep it in it’s own case near by and use it as a reference cable. Finding such a cable that both adds a hint of midrange energy which in-turn opens and expands the midrange, and digs deep into bass construction.......the ASOS simply does no wrong. As the ASOS doesn’t exactly color the sound, and while totally transparent, the ASOS is not as bright up-top in comparison to pure silver, or other choices out there. But the Depth/Width/Thickness of stage, and clarity is truly amazing, to end up making so many IEMs the best they can be! Truly it IS special. And the fact (that it is a 3-1) you can add a Rhodium plug, the Purple plug or the new OFC Copper plug and tilt it ever so slightly, in the direction that you want to go!

Last edited:
Mar 3, 2024 at 2:58 AM Post #96,452 of 103,113
Testing one as well the more I listen to it the more Iike it. Not as resolving as the Shanling M8 or A&K Kann Max but more musical smoother and very addicting sound signature.

You need to understand that they are multifunctional devices, not just audio sources.

They are also self-defence weapons.
DAPkido hahahahahaha

Mar 3, 2024 at 3:16 AM Post #96,453 of 103,113
But I have to say this, though. It has saved me money and stopped impulse buying. So maybe the Chinese are helping me out for all the opium we dumped on em couple of centuries ago. (Just kidding, any Chinese reading this ... Last time I tried this with a Chinese it didn't go too well ..so picture emojis etc here... It was the British and Portugese who dumped, blame them*!)

* https://www.britannica.com/topic/opium-trade
Don't worry, I'm partly a Chinese and I'm not offended at all.

Mar 3, 2024 at 3:20 AM Post #96,454 of 103,113
WOW.........So here it is!

Penon ASOS+ Audiophile IEM Cable
Model: ASOS+
Materials: 8 strands, 25 cores alloy copper silver-plated + 99 cores single crystal copper silver-plated wire mixed
High transparent imported PVC wire sheath
Purple Copper 2pin connector
Carbon fiber shell accessories
Purple Copper plug
Mar 3, 2024 at 12:23 PMPost #13,176 of 13,179

Per Dsnuts:
Something new from Penon. If you guys have been waiting for a good do it all cable. You might have seen these but then again these are not the same. What you're seeing is the newest cable creation from Penon. The Penon ASOS+ So the plus is the addition of permanent purple plugs and purple connectors. A bit of extra palladium in the mix. There is a difference between these and the standard ASOS. I suppose you can just get a set of purple plugs on your original ASOS if you want something similar. The addition of the palladium influence shows on these ASOS+. Slightly more stage presence, better imaging and definition from the stock ASOS. These will be released very soon on the pages of Penon.

429658272_803169701829190_8080610669799305227_n.jpg

Last edited:
Mar 3, 2024 at 4:24 AM Post #96,455 of 103,113
Smart phones are also huge

Joke aside, I don’t think these DAP go against the miniaturisation trend. To me, something like the R8ii, M17, DX320 Max is the shrink down version of the desktop DAC and amp. Something like the R3ii shows how small these devices can get if they stick to a more mobile audio design.
Yes with that same thought my preference always be the smaller DAPs. If anyone has a solid offline library is good to go. That way I love my DTR1+. Other items I have in memory are RS2, R3II and a very costly Shanling

Recently I saw Tempotec V3 which seems very portable by photos

Mar 3, 2024 at 4:29 AM Post #96,456 of 103,113
Ironic you mention the Britich and Portugese: Watching Shogun now....
I'm a fan on both of the versions, the Toshiro Mifune-led and the modern one.

Mar 3, 2024 at 8:02 AM Post #96,457 of 103,113
For those wondering the impedance and sensitivity characteristics of the SLIIVO SL-41 are the following:

Impedance: 42ohm
Sensitivity: 108db

P.S. They were communicated to me by Myer Audio at my direct request.

Mar 3, 2024 at 8:08 AM Post #96,458 of 103,113
Mar 3, 2024 at 8:29 AM Post #96,459 of 103,113
Like the PULA PA02 (36 ohm) the SLIIVO SL-41 (43 ohm) also travel the path of a fairly high impedance and this will only favor the not exactly silent dap/dongles with iems like my FiiO M15 and ifi GO bar. In addition to this, Myer Audio confirmed to me that the current shipments concern the final batch to which they have added a best stabilized wood panel for greater recovery of details. Let's hope so, mine are already on their way.

Last edited:
Mar 3, 2024 at 9:13 AM Post #96,460 of 103,113
Like the PULA PA02 (36 ohm) the SLIIVO SL-41 (43 ohm) also travel the path of a fairly high impedance and this will only favor the not exactly silent dap/dongles with iems like my FiiO M15 and ifi GO bar. In addition to this, Myer Audio confirmed to me that the current shipments concern the final batch to which they have added a best stabilized wood panel for greater recovery of details. Let's hope so, mine are already on their way.
So there is Sliivo sl-41 and there is also the more expensive SLIIVO SL-T6 ...
Hope your 41 turns out to be great!

Mar 3, 2024 at 10:35 AM Post #96,461 of 103,113
Fact checks:
42 Ohm is about ideal, as great Applle and Cirrus engineers did with the Earpad and Apple dongle:
https://reference-audio-analyzer.pro/en/report/hp/apple-earpods.php#gsc.tab=0

This IEM can be nicely driven by the Apple dongle - great that some IEM designers do it, IMO

Very much opposite, the "loudness war" in IEMs, instigated by the likes of Campfire Audio with its recent adorable Trifecta resulting in low impedances of IEMs (16 Ohm and lower, and remember the value cited is at 1 kHz, the impedance swing can be much wilder). To drive such IEM with a low background nice is a great hassle, hence the kilobuck DAPs entering the scene and the legendary "kilobuck" cable "matching"...

That relates to your other comment in USB DACs that higher power translates in the better curent modulation - absloutely not!!
One can have a very cheap crappy 1 W source totally useless with IEMs. If you do a "back of the envelope" calculations (like a great Italian-born scientist Fermi), you may realize that 5 mW will literally blow out most IEMs.
Thus, low-impedance, low-background sources are much more important and relevant for IEMs! I found my great source, you know, that ended my quest of 55+ DACs
Haha, glad to hear you like it so much. They are coming out with permanent plug vers.ion and it should be slightly different sounding? I should have it in about 2 or 3 days. Still though I’m curious what they are going to do to make the ASOS+ the +? What I’m saying is the original ASOS is so fantastic, I keep it in it’s own case near by and use it as a reference cable. Finding such a cable that both adds a hint of midrange energy which in-turn opens and expands the midrange, and digs deep into bass construction.......the ASOS simply does no wrong. As the ASOS doesn’t exactly color the sound, and while totally transparent, the ASOS is not as bright up-top in comparison to pure silver, or other choices out there. But the Depth/Width/Thickness of stage, and clarity is truly amazing, to end up making so many IEMs the best they can be! Truly it IS special. And the fact (that it is a 3-1) you can add a Rhodium plug, the Purple plug or the new OFC Copper plug and tilt it ever so slightly, in the direction that you want to go!
Right, palladium-infused cables - totally ridiculuous from the scientific perspective, but promoted by blatant reviewers of free samples and some gullible audiophiles still bite into that - so be it- ridiculuous, sad and regrettable for the progress of this hobby - that is all for me to say :frowning2:

Last edited:
Mar 3, 2024 at 3:41 PM Post #96,462 of 103,113
palladium-infused cables - totally ridiculuous from the scientific perspective
Influence of palladium is so thin that can be placebo. On other hand scientific approach is theoretical but my ears are practical :wink: At least I've never come across scientific studies to describe most audiophile characteristics of sound. First of all, because I don't have enough knowledge to understand. :)

Mar 3, 2024 at 5:41 PM Post #96,464 of 103,113
Howdy folks,

My review of HiBy Yvain is online on YouTube here:

Big thank you to @Joe Bloggs and @Damz87 for arranging the Australian review tour that made this review possible.

I'll write a shorten review article on Head-Fi "soon."

Mar 3, 2024 at 6:58 PM Post #96,465 of 103,113
FatFreq Scarlet Mini has just landed. Driving just fine with the R3ii, which is the only DAP with me at the moment.

Everything was fine, midrange was good, treble was crystal clear, stage has a decent 3D feeling.

And then the BASS comes. Holy moly the bass. Not the bass, THE BASS. Constantly thump thump rumble, covering everything whenever there is a bassline.

Not sure if I like this. But if you are bass head, this it it. I have never heard my bassy music this ballsy before.

I need my U12t to cleanse my palette. Holy moly the bass.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back