The discovery thread!
Apr 18, 2024 at 11:18 AM Post #99,241 of 100,264
Am I the only one who's a bit concerned by the rush of models into the market with tuning switches? The fad du jour?

Sure, switches give users more choices for tuning. But I fear that some companies releasing models with switches will get lazy with tuning decisions in the rush to market, thinking: "Ah, f*ck it. Just let the customer rub out that spike or elevate that dip with the switches."

I'm also an avid video gamer, and the dawn of all-online gaming about 20 years ago started an era in which many publishers release half-baked or unfinished games due to market and stock price pressure, knowing they can issue a bunch of post-release patches to fix the game. It's annoying as hell and leads to sloppy coding.

I fear the same with tuning of IEMs with switches by some companies, especially those that churn out new releases like a factory spitting out thousands of shower curtain rings per day. (Ode to Del Griffith of "Planes, Trains and Automobiles!") :)

On a side note, I just started my very own thread!

https://www.head-fi.org/threads/redcarmoose’s-penon-isn-cable-plug-database.972523/#post-18079644

Anyway to answer your question, and statement.

I’m the last person to like switches. DIP-switches can be a plethora of things. Meaning yes there are switches, but how they are implemented is a wide range of personalities, almost as diverse as IEM tones. I think part of it is to allow the user to find his subjective home with the tuning. I have started with the qdc V3 Anole back in 2018 or so. And that one normally I leave one way. But as you know often we as listeners don’t know what exact sound we are looking for, even after you have demoed, purchased and taken home your new IEM. The switches are not gimmicks because if you do your diligence and see.........many different switch positions are favored by the public on a single IEM model.

Apr 18, 2024 at 11:32 AM Post #99,242 of 100,264
Got the entire lineup of Vortex Cables. I met the guy at the CanJam SG and he was such a sweet fellow. He was regularly getting a lot of enquiries about the cables from Indian customers, so he sent me his lineup so that I can help the interested people with audition haha. I was about to post about his Eddie 2 cable today, will post about that one later(been using it since past 10 days).
P.s:
All cables belongs to him only, I don't have any ownership on any of them. He sent to me for audition, my own review, and help other interested people in india with an audition and purchase decisions.

1713424358450.png
I’ve had my eye on Seraphina for my 634ears set. Love the look of these cables.

Apr 18, 2024 at 11:37 AM Post #99,243 of 100,264
IMG_8876.jpegIMG_8882.jpeg

I just received them and listened to them for just a couple of hours, playing around with the DSP cable.

Aesthetically they are nice, but not gorgeous.
They are more comfortable to wear than the various Blessings, even if they protrude from the ears.

The build quality seems good to me, but not excellent.

Sonically, in my very humble opinion, they sound similar to the B3, but with medium and medium-high tones (let's leave the highs alone, because I'm too old 😂) more refined, less metallic and more natural.

Mammoth bass when necessary, but dry and cold (different from those of the QUATTRO and even more so from those of the Shozy B2).

I already have the analog cable ready to use them in the classic way. I want to test EQ profiles with the T71 Qudelix.

Personally, I like the B3 and B2 Dusk sound, so I like them and would buy them again.

IMG_8878.jpeg

IMG_8879.jpeg

IMG_8881.jpeg

These are growing inside me.

The improvement in wearing comfort is a significant step forward compared to previous versions of the Blessing, and allows you to listen for much longer without fatigue (wearability has always been a critical point of the Blessing for me).

I also found that the isolation from the external environment is very good, and this allows you to get good listening even while walking down the street, without having to increase the volume excessively.
(I'm using the stock tips).

All this, combined with the better general tuning compared to the previous Blessings, allows for pleasant and enjoyable listening, I would say with any musical genre.
(the rendering of the voices is remarkable)

I have tried the various PEQ profiles published by Timmy, using the T71 Qudelix, and I have a slight preference for the HBB and Super22 profiles, but I prefer the 'nature' sound without PEQ, coupled with a good DAC, with good driving ability.

So I think I can say that these IEMs are excellent,
and are a valid upgrade compared to the B3 and B2 Dusk.

Apr 18, 2024 at 12:01 PM Post #99,244 of 100,264
On a side note, I just started my very own thread!

https://www.head-fi.org/threads/redcarmoose’s-penon-isn-cable-plug-database.972523/#post-18079644

Anyway to answer your question, and statement.

I’m the last person to like switches. DIP-switches can be a plethora of things. Meaning yes there are switches, but how they are implemented is a wide range of personalities, almost as diverse as IEM tones. I think part of it is to allow the user to find his subjective home with the tuning. I have started with the qdc V3 Anole back in 2018 or so. And that one normally I leave one way. But as you know often we as listeners don’t know what exact sound we are looking for, even after you have demoed, purchased and taken home your new IEM. The switches are not gimmicks because if you do your diligence and see.........many different switch positions are favored by the public on a single IEM model.
I agree, in theory. But I would like to have those options on a well-tuned IEM out of the box.

Now, I'm not a seasoned vet of IEMs with tuning switches, so I don't express concern from vast experience. But I know how video game developers and publishers have gotten sloppy as f*ck with coding of some new releases in the all-online gaming era because they know subsequent patches can fix.

I just don't hope some companies cut corners on tuning and let the switches fix flaws. Put a high-performance exhaust on a Hyundai Elantra, and it's still going to be pretty slow. I want my switch options to come from a well-tuned base.

Apr 18, 2024 at 12:10 PM Post #99,245 of 100,264
Singolo just in. Quick first thoughts which are often not far off from more seasoned impressions later: tasteful tonal balance with impressive bass roundness and slam. Slightly artificial treble. Fit just fine for my ears, but I can see how some might struggle.

Burn-in is a must on this 11mm DD before I go and review this one.

1000012987.jpg

Apr 18, 2024 at 12:15 PM Post #99,246 of 100,264
I agree, in theory. But I would like to have those options on a well-tuned IEM out of the box.

Now, I'm not a seasoned vet of IEMs with tuning switches, so I don't express concern from vast experience. But I know how video game developers and publishers have gotten sloppy as f*ck with coding of some new releases in the all-online gaming era because they know subsequent patches can fix.

I just don't hope some companies cut corners on tuning and let the switches fix flaws. Put a high-performance exhaust on a Hyundai Elantra, and it's still going to be pretty slow. I want my switch options to come from a well-tuned base.
well tuned switch implementations will rise to the top, failures will fall. Don’t stress about it too much if switches don’t interest you then it’s not a concern. People like EQ way too much, and switches are not a replacement for that.

Look at the TOTL level, the recently released Alter Ego only has 2 modes, but both tunings are getting rave reviews.

Last edited:
Apr 18, 2024 at 12:16 PM Post #99,247 of 100,264
Singolo just in. Quick first thoughts which are often not far off from more seasoned impressions later: tasteful tonal balance with impressive bass roundness and slam. Slightly artificial treble. Fit just fine for my ears, but I can see how some might struggle.

Burn-in is a must on this 11mm DD before I go and review this one.

1000012987.jpg
I think you'll end up liking them for sure. They are probably a side grade to a lot of things in that price bracket but I found the timbre to be very nice and organic.

Apr 18, 2024 at 12:29 PM Post #99,248 of 100,264
I think you'll end up liking them for sure. They are probably a side grade to a lot of things in that price bracket but I found the timbre to be very nice and organic.

I think if the fit wasn't such a hit or miss (unless you get a set of tips at the same time), I don't think they'd be a bad starting/entry level IEM to introduce people into the hobby.

Apr 18, 2024 at 1:15 PM Post #99,249 of 100,264
I think if the fit wasn't such a hit or miss (unless you get a set of tips at the same time), I don't think they'd be a bad starting/entry level IEM to introduce people into the hobby.
Definitely agree about the fit. I still have issues which is why I can't wholly recommended them without acknowledging the fit issue. If they were shaped more like the Zero series it'd be excellent

Apr 18, 2024 at 2:16 PM Post #99,251 of 100,264
Got mine yesterday. For the price of a midrange triopwin cable, you get a nicely tuned iem. Hope they make something single DD with these drivers and with similar tuning.
IMG_9329.jpeg
Just saw this post for a second time. Got a good chuckle out of seeing a CCA/KZ product on top of your Chord DAC/Amp. I can only imagine the advertising if KZ released a dongle. “ same SNR AS 2,0000 DACs for only $15 dollars”

Apr 18, 2024 at 2:38 PM Post #99,252 of 100,264

Well, like I said my qdc Anole V3 was the first one I ever heard. I love the little guys, but somehow there becomes two ways to listen to them and even since 2018 (or so) I’m not sure if the bass heavy way is the best or if the medium bass is the way?

But of all the IEMs that get sent to me a huge portion has had the switches, yet they seem to affect the IEM in an independent fashion. Meaning they at times do all style of change. There is believe it or not a switch that affects stage, and a switch that makes vocals more forward on one. Then another IEM there are a number of switches which every switch only affects bass response. With that IEM the tuning I like is not what everyone else likes.........do you see where this is going? Manufacturers know each person has a different signature preference, listen through different sources, and even listen to different genres of music. I view the addition of switches as primarily good. Though remember every IEM switch system is wildly different. Some leave the Pinna area alone and just modify the bass or high treble.........from what I guess it is endless?

But there are people against it, like qdc made a whole line of their regular popular IEMs for the Japan market only, you never read about them, but they are models that have no switches, of models that normally do! I can guess in Japan they sell well. I remember this KZ that I got where it did not have switches and my review unit is the only one without the switches. There are like 12 reviews with the switches, and those reviews talk about warmth I wish I would have heard with my KZ..............and that statement is from someone who thought they were not really into switches?

Last edited:
Apr 18, 2024 at 3:38 PM Post #99,253 of 100,264
Hmmm... The one time I bought off consensus proved bad! Simgot ea 500...too bright/harshl/background detailsb fading for me..

From then on I decided to check with a reviewer I like. As in whose reviews of a past product tallied with mine. Either likes or dislikes and the associated reasons given for it. Taste/hearing match. As I can't test them where I live before buying.

That's how I got Sivga Nightingale, universally panned but Andy audiovault's genre-specifx suggestion was for me to go for it. I did.

P8 iegems ( o0genesis) was pimping then. Went for it. Couple of his reviews on Titan s, legato resonated with me. And also Timmy.

CCA trio I was carried away by your enthusiasm. So glad I did.

Hd660S2: on suggestion of honest audiophile, whose slams of ea500 and couple other iems more matched my exact feelings about em. It was on a big discount sale then and I had reached out to him based on his review. Bought and happy.

Fidgeraldo's incessant plug for Fiio FD11 made me get em yesterday. Early impressions pretty good.

One deviation is my purchase of 634ears miroak. As there were no reviews. But based on a shared music interest with leonardfd.

And so on and so forth.

That's how I end up choosing.

Also as my own experience with irms have grown, I now tend to check reviewers whose taste/impressions match mine. And tend to go with em.

At the end of day I got to trust my ears, and I feel this isa good way to slot reviewers personally.

Not that a reviewer is wrong if he doesn't like a P8 or a Trio, but am not to going to base my evaluation of an iem through his ears. Our hearing/tastes don't match.
I got the EA500LM coming in today. We'll see if my gamble pays off? If the technicalities are superior to the EW200 and the stage and imaging is better and wider than the EA1000, then I'm looking forward to a smile on my face like the Trio brought me?

Apr 18, 2024 at 3:39 PM Post #99,254 of 100,264
I got the EA500LM coming in today. We'll see if my gamble pays off? If the technicalities are superior to the EW200 and the stage and imaging is better and wider than the EA1000, then I'm looking forward to a smile on my face like the Trio brought me?
Absolutely great iem but too bright and cold for me personally.

Apr 18, 2024 at 3:40 PM Post #99,255 of 100,264
Well, like I said my qdc Anole V3 was the first one I ever heard. I love the little guys, but somehow there becomes two ways to listen to them and even since 2018 (or so) I’m not sure if the bass heavy way is the best or if the medium bass is the way?

But of all the IEMs that get sent to me a huge portion has had the switches, yet they seem to affect the IEM in an independent fashion. Meaning they at times do all style of change. There is believe it or not a switch that affects stage, and a switch that makes vocals more forward on one. Then another IEM there are a number of switches which every switch only affects bass response. With that IEM the tuning I like is not what everyone else likes.........do you see where this is going? Manufacturers know each person has a different signature preference, listen through different sources, and even listen to different genres of music. I view the addition of switches as primarily good. Though remember every IEM switch system is wildly different. Some leave the Pinna area alone and just modify the bass or high treble.........from what I guess it is endless?

But there are people against it, like qdc made a whole line of their regular popular IEMs for the Japan market only, you never read about them, but they are models that have no switches, of models that normally do! I can guess in Japan they sell well. I remember this KZ that I got where it did not have switches and my review unit is the only one without the switches. There are like 12 reviews with the switches, and those reviews talk about warmth I wish I would have heard with my KZ..............and that statement is from someone who thought they were not really into switches?
Interesting perspective. Thanks.

I'm not opposed to switches at all. I've used EQ with cans that demand it, such as almost any in the Audeze LCD line.

I just hope switches don't become the universal panacea for mediocre stock tuning. That's all. :)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back