The discovery thread!
Apr 22, 2024 at 5:18 AM Post #99,496 of 103,248
Must admit I'm sceptical if Moondrop is the brand to make this work, with the removal of headphone jack from almost every phone it can be market for this.

1000037091.png

1000037090.jpg

1000037098.jpg

Last edited:
Apr 22, 2024 at 5:35 AM Post #99,497 of 103,248

Hardware-Level Hi-Fi, whatever that is?

Moondrop EVO​

DUAL ES9318 BLUETOOTH EAR HOOK​

• Hardware-Level Hi-Fi
  • Reversible Charging Case
  • Dual Microphone with ENC Beamforming
  • Touch Operation and Automatic Reconnection
  • Universal 0.78-2pin Port
$89.99 USD
Screen Shot 2024-04-22 at 5.33.47 PM.png

Last edited:
Apr 22, 2024 at 5:42 AM Post #99,498 of 103,248
logo-7hz.svg

7HZ Timeless II​

UPGRADED 14.5MM PLANAR MAGNETIC DRIVER IEM​

Earn a special super-early bird discount code with your $1.00 reservation card!
RESERVE NOW

7HZ Timeless II​

Screen Shot 2024-04-22 at 5.40.35 PM.png

what-the-heck-is-that-ryan-higa.gif

Last edited:
Apr 22, 2024 at 5:43 AM Post #99,499 of 103,248
It's a cool gadget indeed, especially if you are audio geeks who like to tweak things on the digital side. Built-in PEQ with ability to import AutoEQ profile is a big plus, plus other DSP plugins like @Joe Bloggs 's Dynamic Expander.

It does not feel as premium as A&K SR35, no doubt, but this R4 is not shabby or cheap either. I'm still amazed that HiBy managed to pull this off at $250. They must have excellent supply chain management going on there.

If one can splurge, I still recommend going up to the R6 Pro2 (and accept the lower battery life and more heat, in exchange for nicer sound). But if one just want an Android DAP, I'm not aware of an option with better value right now. The Shanling M3 Ultra is the closest, but it's $480. Topping G5 is roughly the same price, but does not have built-in DAP capability.
Yeah Hiby has been really smart with the R4. They have the quad DAC's and the discrete Class A amp to attract the "geeks". Plus the cool space age design to appeal to the mass market who don't know about and don't care about the quad DAC's and the Class A discrete amp inside.

My nephews will be all over this baby when I show it to them. But if I try to talk to them about the hardware their eyes will glaze over. :L3000:

Apr 22, 2024 at 5:59 AM Post #99,500 of 103,248
I don't find them bassy per se, in the sense of bloom, but the reason I think they aren't game shifters in the budget realm like the Blon BL03 is because the bass isn't well defined. It's kinda...non-descript.
I'd say almost the same, but I would add that the bass is good, not weird, and yes, not textured, but it works great with the rest.
If you want more textured bass for $35...get FD11 :)
It was one of my buys, just like FD11...purely because of the look,
I absolutely didn't read anything about them, just like Shanling ME80. And neither disappointed me.
I enjoy listening to them completely.

Cheers!

Apr 22, 2024 at 6:14 AM Post #99,502 of 103,248
Apr 22, 2024 at 6:25 AM Post #99,503 of 103,248
logo-7hz.svg

7HZ Timeless II​

UPGRADED 14.5MM PLANAR MAGNETIC DRIVER IEM​

Earn a special super-early bird discount code with your $1.00 reservation card!
RESERVE NOW

7HZ Timeless II​

Screen Shot 2024-04-22 at 5.40.35 PM.png

If i recalled it right,
This was announced awhile back, got some review unit out, then inexplicably got recalled, and got the official public released delayed to fix some issues.

And now, re-released.

Review of the pre-fix version of timeless

Last edited:
Apr 22, 2024 at 6:28 AM Post #99,504 of 103,248
I am just listening to some Techno with the CCA Trio, and to my taste, they work a lot better for electronic music than for music with instruments.
Why, the bass is not natural; it's weird, it's trumpet-bass and when I hear the bass guitar sounding like a trumpet in the pot; hmm, to me, not the best thing.
But with electronic music...that's just great, nothing strange. I might use them quite often now...for walks definitely :)
Now clarity of the mids and treble are not disturbed by any means :)

Boss, I am waiting for impressions about Miroak. Please. :)
EDIT: I rushed a bit...I've just found it :)

Cheers!

Last edited:
Apr 22, 2024 at 6:30 AM Post #99,505 of 103,248
It's a cool gadget indeed, especially if you are audio geeks who like to tweak things on the digital side. Built-in PEQ with ability to import AutoEQ profile is a big plus, plus other DSP plugins like @Joe Bloggs 's Dynamic Expander.

It does not feel as premium as A&K SR35, no doubt, but this R4 is not shabby or cheap either. I'm still amazed that HiBy managed to pull this off at $250. They must have excellent supply chain management going on there.

If one can splurge, I still recommend going up to the R6 Pro2 (and accept the lower battery life and more heat, in exchange for nicer sound). But if one just want an Android DAP, I'm not aware of an option with better value right now. The Shanling M3 Ultra is the closest, but it's $480. Topping G5 is roughly the same price, but does not have built-in DAP capability.
I have to ask if using the provided MSEB and the likes were you able to get a warm analogue sound from the R4

Apr 22, 2024 at 6:39 AM Post #99,506 of 103,248
I am just listening to some Techno with the CCA Trio, and to my taste, they work a lot better for electronic music than for music with instruments.
Why, the bass is not natural; it's weird, it's trumpet-bass and when I hear the bass guitar sounding like a trumpet in the pot; hmm, to me, not the best thing.
But with electronic music...that's just great, nothing strange. I might use them quite often now...for walks definitely :)
Now clarity of the mids and treble are not disturbed by any means :)

Boss, I am waiting for impressions about Miroak. Please. :)

Cheers!
https://www.head-fi.org/threads/mid...a-thread-for-all.972437/page-14#post-18085558

In Bombay, wondering why Croats don't know how to make use of notification bell messages on forums

Apr 22, 2024 at 6:42 AM Post #99,507 of 103,248
If i recalled it right,
This was announced awhile back, got some review unit out, then inexplicably got recalled, and got the official public released delayed to fix some issues.

And now, re-released.

Review of the pre-fix version of timeless

Yes, thank-you, I have been following the drama a little, though it looks like the 2nd, 2nd version will (soon) be upon us. The original 2nd version (Timeless 2) somehow was given to a few YouTubers and found one favorable review, and one not so good. And I mean..........I think it is commendable that they are trying to dial-in this new version, and not just release anything. Cheers.

Last edited:
Apr 22, 2024 at 6:49 AM Post #99,508 of 103,248
In Bombay, wondering why Croats don't know how to make use of notification bell messages on forums
Hahaha...good one, boss!
I ignore all notifications, e-mail messages etc...too many of them anyway :)

I liked the review; it was quite informative. I will go on a brighter path with this one. Thanks, enjoy!

Cheers!

Apr 22, 2024 at 7:00 AM Post #99,509 of 103,248
I have to ask if using the provided MSEB and the likes were you able to get a warm analogue sound from the R4
Yup!

But it’s not easy to strike the right balance, and you would always doubt and tinker. Psychological thing, tbh. AFAIK, manufacturers can also “tune” by messing with clock and harmonic distortion compensation, which produces a different kind of “warmth” than EQ. It’s quite minute and hard to explain. But, yeah, I can make the R4 sound somewhat the way I want with MSEB.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back