The discovery thread!
May 12, 2024 at 3:35 PM Post #101,296 of 102,901
May 12, 2024 at 5:03 PM Post #101,297 of 102,901
Keep seeing ads for thinksound in20 on Facebook… they look cool but are on sale for $75 so not cheap enough for em to pick them on a whim to try them lol.

May 12, 2024 at 5:29 PM Post #101,298 of 102,901
Discoveries are always thrilling. Either brand new gear, older gear, or a combination of the two. In this case, it's about synergy.

Sony A45 dap (high gain) + TRN ST7 - no amp = *chef's kiss*

What a smooth, musical, and enchanting experience. This is a warm dap, as are MOST Sony players, so the treble, with can be a bit spicy at times from those front loaded BA's, essentially are rendered with a smoothness, with a slight bass boost, that just creates a wide screen musical scene with details swirling around your head. The only "drawback" I'm seeing is that since I've been using the Trio and ST7 regularly, I've been slowly shelving other IEMs that don't give me this type of headspace and technical performance combined. The most recent "victims" are the GK10, KIwi Ears Cadenza and Quartet, Sennheiser IE100, and Z300. Though some offer one aspect, none offer both. Curious now how those two KZ and the CCA Hydro will stack up?

If anyone has these types of DAP's, I recommend getting the ultra cheap ST7 and trying it out for yourself.

Attachments

• Sony A45 + TRN ST7.jpg
    Sony A45 + TRN ST7.jpg
    618.8 KB · Views: 0
May 12, 2024 at 5:30 PM Post #101,299 of 102,901
Keep seeing ads for thinksound in20 on Facebook… they look cool but are on sale for $75 so not cheap enough for em to pick them on a whim to try them lol.
The Thinksound over ears got good traction in this this thread and the headphone thread years ago.

May 12, 2024 at 6:07 PM Post #101,301 of 102,901

Discoveries are always thrilling. Either brand new gear, older gear, or a combination of the two. In this case, it's about synergy.

Sony A45 dap (high gain) + TRN ST7 - no amp = *chef's kiss*

What a smooth, musical, and enchanting experience. This is a warm dap, as are MOST Sony players, so the treble, with can be a bit spicy at times from those front loaded BA's, essentially are rendered with a smoothness, with a slight bass boost, that just creates a wide screen musical scene with details swirling around your head. The only "drawback" I'm seeing is that since I've been using the Trio and ST7 regularly, I've been slowly shelving other IEMs that don't give me this type of headspace and technical performance combined. The most recent "victims" are the GK10, KIwi Ears Cadenza and Quartet, Sennheiser IE100, and Z300. Though some offer one aspect, none offer both. Curious now how those two KZ and the CCA Hydro will stack up?

If anyone has these types of DAP's, I recommend getting the ultra cheap ST7 and trying it out for yourself.
The FiiO KA17 (set to Mini SD), offers me a very similar, if not identical, experience to the one you are describing. It gives the ST7 a slight bass boost and adds warmth in general. The high mids and treble sound enchanting: very precise yet smooth like cream, without even the slightest amount of sibilance.

I don’t disdain the experience offered by my BTR15 either (set to its default Linear Phase Hybrid Filter). It’s more airy, slightly sharper on the high frequencies, and overall, it provides a more expansive soundstage.

Having multiple DACs with different sound characteristics and finding the pairing you like the most is a great way to get the best out of your IEMs. In the absence of multiple DACs, I also believe playing with the offered filters can be quite effective.

Anyhow, ultimately, the ST7 is a really good pair of IEMs. I would even say unbelievably good - considering the price.

EDIT: I forgot to mention that I paired the ST7 (with default TRN T-Tips) with the TRN RedChain modular cable. It’s a solid and versatile option, in my opinion. The cable is partly silver-plated and partly OFC copper. I believe this contributes to the fact that I haven’t experienced any sibilance with the ST7 on any of my DACs. Also, I want to emphasize that I didn’t experience any sibilance with its supplied cable either. So, since I know that some cables tend to give a little boost in the treble region, for those who are experiencing sibilance in any form, I recommend trying a different one.

Last edited:
May 12, 2024 at 7:11 PM Post #101,302 of 102,901
I still haven't seen anyone do a review of the Tiandirenhe TD20, advertised as an 11mm planar. I seem to keep coming back to it, even ordered a spare set. It has none of that planar sizzle, sounds more like a smooth dd. I prefer it to my S12 pro, T10, MP145, PR1 pro, PR2... Stated impedance is 12 ohms, but I measured only 8 ohms. Love the bass it puts out with a good seal from liqueur tips.
1000005794.jpg

May 12, 2024 at 8:07 PM Post #101,303 of 102,901
The FiiO KA17 (set to Mini SD), offers me a very similar, if not identical, experience to the one you are describing. It gives the ST7 a slight bass boost and adds warmth in general. The high mids and treble sound enchanting: very precise yet smooth like cream, without even the slightest amount of sibilance.

I don’t disdain the experience offered by my BTR15 either (set to its default Linear Phase Hybrid Filter). It’s more airy, slightly sharper on the high frequencies, and overall, it provides a more expansive soundstage.

Having multiple DACs with different sound characteristics and finding the pairing you like the most is a great way to get the best out of your IEMs. In the absence of multiple DACs, I also believe playing with the offered filters can be quite effective.

Anyhow, ultimately, the ST7 is a really good pair of IEMs. I would even say unbelievably good - considering the price.

EDIT: I forgot to mention that I paired the ST7 (with default TRN T-Tips) with the TRN RedChain modular cable. It’s a solid and versatile option, in my opinion. The cable is partly silver-plated and partly OFC copper. I believe this contributes to the fact that I haven’t experienced any sibilance with the ST7 on any of my DACs. Also, I want to emphasize that I didn’t experience any sibilance even with its default supplied cable either. So, since I know that some cables tend to give a little boost in the treble region, for those who are experiencing sibilance in any form, I recommend trying a different one.
Yes sir, that's how I'm hearing them. I'm using that pure copper stock cable that came with the Z300 (I believe!).

May 12, 2024 at 8:17 PM Post #101,304 of 102,901
ST7 from the A55 was a very similar experience to the A45. Maybe a tad, and I mean tad more stage width, but when I plugged into the WM1A, holy smokes!!! The experience went up several notches! The stage becomes orbital, the top end, though not quite as smooth, is still non-sibilant and the bass becomes deeper and tighter. I'm gonna enjoy spending time with this combo after work! HUZZAH!

May 12, 2024 at 8:24 PM Post #101,305 of 102,901
Had a bit of a scare this morning when i thought my Trio developed a channel imbalance. Turned out one of my old, trusty TRN cables went bad at the connector.

Tried one of those cheapo KZ cables and it worked fine again. Actually now that I think of it I want to look for more for some more thin, lightweight cables but of good quality.

May 12, 2024 at 8:43 PM Post #101,306 of 102,901
Had a bit of a scare this morning when i thought my Trio developed a channel imbalance. Turned out one of my old, trusty TRN cables went bad at the connector.

Tried one of those cheapo KZ cables and it worked fine again. Actually now that I think of it I want to look for more for some more thin, lightweight cables but of good quality.
stock silver plated kz wire is fine. im actually surprised how well mine are holding, ive been pulling and twisting them everyday for my setup at work.

May 12, 2024 at 9:46 PM Post #101,307 of 102,901
I’ve never tried it, but wouldn’t playback of a Dolby Atmos song (from Amazon Unlimited) on a Dolby Atmos home theatre setup be what you’re looking for ?
Dolby renderings are some of the processing (DSP) options developed for movie theaters and further adopted for home theaters. Just one of the dimensions/possibilities in the multidimensional space of sound rendering.
Er ... who is this imposter? Can I have the old acerbic Phonophi - the slayer of 150$+ audio gear, please?!
A good one!
I am trying to be gentle, polite and all-inclusive (younger- more ascerbic; older - more mellow:))
No moves from $150 gear!

Starting my comparison, I can just emphatically reiterate the fact that all of you here very much know - an amazing time for this hobby with sources and IEMs - just a couple of hundred dollars can bring so much capabilities!

Lastly, I noticed that Celest Relentless became available at HiFiGo at $169.99, not unfair price. An IEM to my alley - settling with all BAs, exploring hybrids a bit (plus collecting Celest pokemons is fan); though I will wait for more universal availability and some discounts.

May 12, 2024 at 10:26 PM Post #101,308 of 102,901
Dolby renderings are some of the processing (DSP) options developed for movie theaters and further adopted for home theaters. Just one of the dimensions/possibilities in the multidimensional space of sound rendering.
A good one!
I am trying to be gentle, polite and all-inclusive (younger- more ascerbic; older - more mellow:))
No moves from $150 gear!

Starting my comparison, I can just emphatically reiterate the fact that all of you here very much know - an amazing time for this hobby with sources and IEMs - just a couple of hundred dollars can bring so much capabilities!

Lastly, I noticed that Celest Relentless became available at HiFiGo at $169.99, not unfair price. An IEM to my alley - settling with all BAs, exploring hybrids a bit (plus collecting Celest pokemons is fan); though I will wait for more universal availability and some discounts.

What's special in all BAs? You don't like how DD renders your music?

And yes yes, mellowed phonophi is great :- )

May 12, 2024 at 10:31 PM Post #101,309 of 102,901
IMG_7677.jpeg
Got the Trios in today and they are a very impressive entry in the budget realm. Doing some A/B comparisons today with the MP145, using an unbalanced cable and Azla Origin tips.

While I think the MP145 is better in almost every regard; the gap in sound quality is undeniable in how close it’s getting. The Trio benefits by having a bassier switch if you desire. I found the switches that adjust the upper frequency to add a bit too much, and will mostly be adjusting the bass ones for the desired range depending on mood / genre.

While I don’t buy in to the “TOTL killer”, I do believe it’s tuning to be a budget trend setter. Every company making sub $150 dollar IEMs needs to be paying attention and adjusting accordingly. It’s better or can be held in the same regard at that level, and will be my new beater IEM. Well done!

May 12, 2024 at 10:33 PM Post #101,310 of 102,901
KZ ZS10 Pro 2 and KZ Merga are in transit, with the ZS10 pro landing sometime next week. Merga a bit after that. The CCA Hydro, which is the one I truly want to hear, hasn't even shipped yet. So that'll be awhile. Oh those waits.
KZ ZS10 Pro 2 have rather positive early impression. tough there are some that didn't like the BA sound

Merga is a bit questionable.
Marketing material wise, they seems doesn't skimp on driver but cheap out on shell (all plastic without faceplate), two cable option (the cheap cable, and the silver one) and removing switch (but keep the proper crossover) to cut cost
it was speculated that Castor was sold under the planned price due to bad press from KZ marketing rep debacle with crin which cause KZ to cut the price down.

So Merga might be the dual DD with abit healthier profit margin.
Hopefully as good or (finger crossed) a bit better.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back