The discovery thread!
Jan 28, 2022 at 3:41 PM Post #61,606 of 104,106
_DSC9385-Edit (75).jpg

The BQEYZ Autumn has a safe tuning and many of the advantages inherent to single dynamic driver designs. However, its technical performance is average and certain aspects of its tuning come with trade-offs I would rather not make.
My full review is up on my blog: https://medium.com/bedrock-reviews/bqeyz-autumn-review-16b488372a91

Jan 28, 2022 at 9:25 PM Post #61,607 of 104,106
_DSC9385-Edit (75).jpg
The BQEYZ Autumn has a safe tuning and many of the advantages inherent to single dynamic driver designs. However, its technical performance is average and certain aspects of its tuning come with trade-offs I would rather not make.
My full review is up on my blog: https://medium.com/bedrock-reviews/bqeyz-autumn-review-16b488372a91
I find the Autumn's technicality to be superb which fall just a tad behind that of something like Moondrop's Variations. More layering can be heard from the Autumn in fact. I think your sources are just not revealing enough.

Jan 29, 2022 at 2:11 PM Post #61,608 of 104,106

Dunu Titan S vs Tin T3 Plus vs NFAudio NM2​

So, I somehow ended up with all three of them and they are all contending for the "best under $100" tag.

I will just do a swift ranking. Also Aria is not here as I have loaned it to someone but it will be put in the comparison as well for reference.

Build: Titan S = T3 Plus > Aria >> NM2
Titan S with their metal shells and T3 Plus with the resin shells - both have excellent build. Aria's paint tend to chip off and NM2 has the build quality of $5 QKZ IEMs.

Accessories: T3 Plus = Titan S > Aria > NM2
T3 Plus got a good cable and decent tips but the carrying case is poor. Titan S got a great carrying case (better than many expensive IEMs come with) and good tips but meh cable. Aria got horrible cable and meh eartiops and case. NM2 got the worst accessories of the bunch, replacement recommended.

Bass: Aria = Titan S > NM2 > T3 Plus
Aria has slightly denser bass whereas Titan S has more "neutral" bass tuning. Both are fast with good texture. NM2 can sound lacking texture in mid-bass at times and T3 Plus lacks texture.

Mids: NM2 > Titan S > T3 Plus = Aria
Both T3 Plus and Aria have issues with lower-mids. NM2 handle lower and upper mid pretty well, so does the Titan S. However, Titan S tended to get slightly shoutier.

Treble: Titan S > NM2 > T3 Plus > Aria
Aria has the weakest treble response among these. T3 Plus has a bit more energy in lower-treble. Titan S and NM2 both got good treble extension but the NM2 has more focus near lower-treble which can be fatiguing. If you like higher amount of treble: NM2 for you.

Soundstage: Titan S > Aria > T3 Plus = NM2
Perceived stage is widest and deepest on Titan S. Aria comes second though the margin between Titan S and Aria is sizeable. T3 Plus sound congested, whereas NM2 can sound too forward at times.

Imaging: Titan S > NM2 = Aria > T3 Plus

Separation: Titan S = NM2 > T3 Plus > Aria

Dynamics: Titan S = Aria > NM2 > T3 Plus

I am bit torn here. Microdynamics are superior on Titan S whereas Aria has better macrodynamic punch (e.g. sudden bass drops).

Overall, I think the Titan S ticks most of the boxes. It's got good technicalities coupled with a neutral bright tonality that works well. NM2 is the most technical among them and will cater well to those who need more information up top.

Aria meanwhile got the best timbre and has the smoothest signature here. T3 Plus is more of a mixed bag due to the odd-sounding bass.

I'd probably pick either Aria or the Titan S for my personal use. They complement each other well so one can even have both and not feel like they bought similar things. NM2 remains something I like listening well-mastered tracks with, though cable change is a must. T3 Plus is mostly useful for commuting, not so much for critical listening.

IMG_9259.jpg

Last edited:
Jan 29, 2022 at 3:28 PM Post #61,609 of 104,106
I find the Autumn's technicality to be superb which fall just a tad behind that of something like Moondrop's Variations. More layering can be heard from the Autumn in fact. I think your sources are just not revealing enough.
I also don’t understand some of these reviews saying the Autumn has middling technicalities. For a single DD it is quite good except for mediocre imaging.

Last edited:
Jan 29, 2022 at 5:36 PM Post #61,611 of 104,106

So, I somehow ended up with all three of them and they are all contending for the "best under $100" tag.

I will just do a swift ranking. Also Aria is not here as I have loaned it to someone but it will be put in the comparison as well for reference.

Titan S with their metal shells and T3 Plus with the resin shells - both have excellent build. Aria's paint tend to chip off and NM2 has the build quality of $5 QKZ IEMs.

T3 Plus got a good cable and decent tips but the carrying case is poor. Titan S got a great carrying case (better than many expensive IEMs come with) and good tips but meh cable. Aria got horrible cable and meh eartiops and case. NM2 got the worst accessories of the bunch, replacement recommended.

Aria has slightly denser bass whereas Titan S has more "neutral" bass tuning. Both are fast with good texture. NM2 can sound thin in mid-bass at times and T3 Plus lacks texture.

Both T3 Plus and Aria have issues with lower-mids. NM2 handle lower and upper mid pretty well, so does the Titan S. However, Titan S tended to get slightly shoutier.

Aria has the weakest treble response among these. T3 Plus has a bit more energy in lower-treble. Titan S and NM2 both got good treble extension but the NM2 has more focus near lower-treble which can be fatiguing. If you like higher amount of treble: NM2 for you.

Perceived stage is widest and deepest on Titan S. Aria comes second though the margin between Titan S and Aria is sizeable. T3 Plus sound congested, whereas NM2 can sound too forward at times.

I am bit torn here. Microdynamics are superior on Titan S whereas Aria has better macrodynamic punch (e.g. sudden bass drops).

Overall, I think the Titan S ticks most of the boxes. It's got good technicalities coupled with a neutral bright tonality that works well. NM2 is the most technical among them and will cater well to those who need more information up top.

Aria meanwhile got the best timbre and has the smoothest signature here. T3 Plus is more of a mixed bag due to the odd-sounding bass.

I'd probably pick either Aria or the Titan S for my personal use. They complement each other well so one can even have both and not feel like they bought similar things. NM2 remains something I like listening well-mastered tracks with, though cable change is a must. T3 Plus is mostly useful for commuting, not so much for critical listening.

Thank you very much for the comparison.

I'm surprised by the comparison of the Dunu Titan S vs NF Audio NM2, especially when you say that the Titan S has better bass and the NM2 has better mids. I know that quantity does not imply quality, nor does presence imply that it is better. With the little listening time I've had with the Dunu and remembering the NM2s, my humble opinion would be the other way around, because as a bass lover I like the NM2s a lot in that aspect. Another thing is that the Titan S are better overall, and I'll decide that when I review them... :wink: But I'm glad that the opinions are not unanimous, it enriches the debate.

Regards.

graph.png

Last edited:
Jan 29, 2022 at 6:43 PM Post #61,612 of 104,106
Thank you very much for the comparison.

I'm surprised by the comparison of the Dunu Titan S vs NF Audio NM2, especially when you say that the Titan S has better bass and the NM2 has better mids. I know that quantity does not imply quality, nor does presence imply that it is better. With the little listening time I've had with the Dunu and remembering the NM2s, my humble opinion would be the other way around, because as a bass lover I like the NM2s a lot in that aspect. Another thing is that the Titan S are better overall, and I'll decide that when I review them... :wink: But I'm glad that the opinions are not unanimous, it enriches the debate.

Regards.

graph.png

I was hinting towards "quality" rather than "quantity" when it came to the bass. I think that the mid-bass texture on the Titan S is bit better. Then again, I just had like 30-35 mins of listen on both the NM2 and Titan S. My opinion might change by the time I write the full review.

Regarding mids, the fuller lower-mids on the NM2 sound better to me (and better counter-act the upper-mid shout) than on the Titan S, to my ears at least. I am yet to try different tips with these IEMs so that is another variable that might contribute to the final conclusion. Let's see how things develop.

Jan 29, 2022 at 7:19 PM Post #61,613 of 104,106
I was hinting towards "quality" rather than "quantity" when it came to the bass. I think that the mid-bass texture on the Titan S is bit better. Then again, I just had like 30-35 mins of listen on both the NM2 and Titan S. My opinion might change by the time I write the full review.

Regarding mids, the fuller lower-mids on the NM2 sound better to me (and better counter-act the upper-mid shout) than on the Titan S, to my ears at least. I am yet to try different tips with these IEMs so that is another variable that might contribute to the final conclusion. Let's see how things develop.
Nothing to object to, every reviewer has their own yardstick and it should be respected. I will read your review when you get it.
My review of the Dunu Titan S still has to wait for other products that come before it.

Jan 29, 2022 at 8:56 PM Post #61,615 of 104,106
I also don’t understand some of these reviews saying the Autumn has middling technicalities. For a single DD it is quite good except for mediocre imaging.
and....that might be the reason? mediocre anything on a set might pull down other facets? don'tcha think?

Jan 29, 2022 at 9:32 PM Post #61,616 of 104,106
and....that might be the reason? mediocre anything on a set might pull down other facets? don'tcha think?
Mediocre imaging doesn’t detract from excellent resolution, very respectable micro details for a single DD, superb timbre, or expansive soundstage. I’m not saying it’s a 10/10 but for $200 basically every set has some technical shortcoming but some, like the Autumn, can still be said to be overall technically accomplished IMO.

Jan 29, 2022 at 9:51 PM Post #61,617 of 104,106
Mediocre imaging doesn’t detract from excellent resolution, very respectable micro details for a single DD, superb timbre, or expansive soundstage. I’m not saying it’s a 10/10 but for $200 basically every set has some technical shortcoming but some, like the Autumn, can still be said to be overall technically accomplished IMO.
What is your impression of Autumn in comparison to 3DT?

Jan 30, 2022 at 12:38 AM Post #61,618 of 104,106

Aria has slightly denser bass whereas Titan S has more "neutral" bass tuning. Both are fast with good texture. NM2 can sound lacking texture in mid-bass at times and T3 Plus lacks texture.

IMG_9259.jpg

Nice impressions!

I haven't heard the NM2 but 100% agree with your findings of the Aria versus Titan S versus Tin T3 Plus. The T3 Plus is the least favourite of mine among these 3 as it is kind of a jack of all trades, and the bass is very one-noted and undefined.

Jan 30, 2022 at 7:37 AM Post #61,619 of 104,106
Not to mention the very well extended treble and very respectful sub bass. No way to call it lacking technicality.:thinking: I won't even say it has mediocre imaging although it doesn't excel which is a trade off of the effortless treble.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back