The discovery thread!
May 15, 2024 at 11:51 AM Post #101,581 of 103,968
I feel very blessed to find another one and actually be in a position to buy it.
Hey...to make you feel better, ok, to make you laugh, because I laughed afterwards...
A few months ago, I was F..... and bought fake IE900 :ksc75smile: :ksc75smile: :ksc75smile: :ksc75smile:

It should have been my first TOTL IEMs...but I got TOTL crap.

Hahaha... ok, actually, to my surprise, they are not really crap; they are pretty solid.

I tried really hard not to like them..but I can't..I do use them on my walks.
But...they are not genuine, and they cost me, hahaha. But...F money!

Hey, do you know what's funny and interesting?
When I got them, I was excited, and soon after, I shared a photo on Discovery.

But something seemed dodgy to me, and I looked and searched fast to see if they were genuine.
Then I realized that they were fake.
I went on Discovery to delete the photo, but YOU were faster than me. You already put the like below, hahaha.

You might be the only one who saw the picture of my fake IE900. :)
If you hadn't posted your story and if my story wasn't related to you in a way, I probably wouldn't have posted this.

But this way...it turned out to be funny...at least for me. :ksc75smile::ksc75smile::ksc75smile:

Cheers!

May 15, 2024 at 11:55 AM Post #101,582 of 103,968
Hey...to make you feel better, ok, to make you laugh, because I laughed afterwards...
A few months ago, I was F..... and bought fake IE900 :ksc75smile: :ksc75smile: :ksc75smile: :ksc75smile:

It should have been my first TOTL IEMs...but I got TOTL crap.

Hahaha... ok, actually, to my surprise, they are not really crap; they are pretty solid.

I tried really hard not to like them..but I can't..I do use them on my walks.
But...they are not genuine, and they cost me, hahaha. But...F money!

Hey, do you know what's funny and interesting?
When I got them, I was excited, and soon after, I shared a photo on Discovery.

But something seemed dodgy to me, and I looked and searched fast to see if they were genuine.
Then I realized that they were fake.
I went on Discovery to delete the photo, but YOU were faster than me. You already put the like below, hahaha.

You might be the only one who saw the picture of my fake IE900. :)
If you hadn't posted your story and if my story wasn't related to you in a way, I probably wouldn't have posted this.

But this way...it turned out to be funny...at least for me. :ksc75smile::ksc75smile::ksc75smile:

Cheers!
Thanks for bringing a smile to my face today.
I needed that.
I appreciate you, my guy!

May 15, 2024 at 12:39 PM Post #101,583 of 103,968
Tip-rolling discoveries are so underrated! Let this message reach whoever needs to hear it.

I tip-rolled my AüR Aure again after experiencing a bit of discomfort with the stiff (duh.., obviously, they have a metal insert) Coreirs.

Since I don't feel like spending a whole day on tiprolling through all the tips I've got, I chose the two pairs I know I felt very comfortable with using before.

Spinfit W1s ultimately won (pictured on the IEMs), followed closely by the Tri Clarions. W1s have a much thinner bore compared to Clarions, however they felt as if they cleaned the bass a bit nicer as well as kept more brightness for Aure's main attraction - The Vocals - to shine.

Clarions provide a better sense of openness to the mix and allow more space for individual imagery, though, so essentially I could use both depending on the scenario.

1000013404.jpg

May 15, 2024 at 12:45 PM Post #101,584 of 103,968
Spinfit W1s ultimately won (pictured on the IEMs), followed closely by the Tri Clarions. W1s have a much thinner bore compared to Clarions, however they felt as if they cleaned the bass a bit nicer as well as kept more brightness for Aure's main attraction - The Vocals - to shine.
gonna take this opportunity to hijack this, but has anyone reordered the W1's more than once over the last year?

My previous pair has been the only Tips I have had rip (put them on a large nozzle, my fault really) but the replacements I got last week seem... different. the material is stickier, and it seems smaller than the last time.

Unfortunately I threw away the other pair, but was wondering if anyone else had noticed this.

May 15, 2024 at 12:46 PM Post #101,586 of 103,968
Am I missing something about EQ? Seems like most people use it but it just never sounds clean to me, and I only ever do minimal lowering of bands. Like, paying end game money just to EQ it? What??
I have found that IEMs don't take to EQ as readily as full-size headphones. I'm still not sure what the reasons are, but my guesses are outlined in a thread I started a little while ago. Currently, my best theory is that it has to do with the use of multiple drivers with crossovers in many/most IEMs. In those cases, EQ possibly creates phase issues and/or runs into group delay problems. Makes EQ sound "off." What you're hearing as "not clean" could be phase/timing issues. However, when I EQ single-driver IEMs, I don't run into the same problem.

As for why people EQ, I can't speak for everyone, but for me, EQ isn't about changing the tuning or altering the presentation. It's about making (usually) modest adjustments to problem areas. Not everything about an IEM's tuning can be fixed on the design/hardware side. The goal for me with EQ is to make a headphone or IEM "sound more like itself," not to change it utterly. When done well, EQ can transform a good tuning into a great one.

Last edited:
May 15, 2024 at 12:47 PM Post #101,587 of 103,968
Am I missing something about EQ? Seems like most people use it but it just never sounds clean to me, and I only ever do minimal lowering of bands. Like, paying end game money just to EQ it? What??
I hate EQ :)

Last edited:
May 15, 2024 at 12:47 PM Post #101,588 of 103,968
Tip-rolling discoveries are so underrated! Let this message reach whoever needs to hear it.

I tip-rolled my AüR Aure again after experiencing a bit of discomfort with the stiff (duh.., obviously, they have a metal insert) Coreirs.

Since I don't feel like spending a whole day on tiprolling through all the tips I've got, I chose the two pairs I know I felt very comfortable with using before.

Clarions provide a better sense of openness to the mix and allow more space for individual imagery, though, so essentially I could use both depending on the scenario.

1000013404.jpg
Super underrated post!

Tip rolling is probably one of the most important aspects of this hobby. The Clarions have always been a hit for me on most IEMs, they're such a killer tip and really not that expensive, thank goodness!

Another really underrated tip I discovered earlier this year completely by accident is the Gray with green stem tips that Penon and Hisenior include with their IEMs. Not only are they very comfortable for a deep insertion, but for whatever reason, they reduce pressure issues on every IEM I've had issues with in the past while still maintaining a great seal AND sonic properties. Not to mention, they are super cheap, maybe $5 for an entire set on Aliexpress!

May 15, 2024 at 12:48 PM Post #101,589 of 103,968
Waiting for my Tangz Tang Sancai to be shipped out....reckon their grippier texture will improve seal / "air" / holophony etc - especially for bigger sized shells like the Rhapsody, fingers crossed !!
Hopefully your mileage will vary but be prepared to be disappointed. For me that texture made them grip worse than others ear tips.

May 15, 2024 at 12:51 PM Post #101,590 of 103,968
My previous pair has been the only Tips I have had rip (put them on a large nozzle, my fault really) but the replacements I got last week seem... different. the material is stickier, and it seems smaller than the last time.
Really? Interesting... I was super disappointed with the W1s as I felt they reduced bass response quite a bit, I know it probably comes down to anatomy but they just didn't work for me. Weirdly enough, the Omnis worked for me a lot better, they seem to be the same material as the W1s, but with a short stem, allowing for some seriously deep insertion while still being comfortable and a slightly wider bore. Like all Spinfit tips, they're on the more premium side in terms of pricing, but they're worth a shot for sure!
Waiting for my Tangz Tang Sancai to be shipped out....reckon their grippier texture will improve seal / "air" / holophony etc - especially for bigger sized shells like the Rhapsody, fingers crossed !!
I have the normal Sancais and I have always enjoyed them, but I have found they close the stage down and reduce bass a bit, but I have the wide bores incoming (finally) and I'm hoping the wide bores change my opinions on them.

May 15, 2024 at 12:52 PM Post #101,591 of 103,968
Super underrated post!

Tip rolling is probably one of the most important aspects of this hobby. The Clarions have always been a hit for me on most IEMs, they're such a killer tip and really not that expensive, thank goodness!

Another really underrated tip I discovered earlier this year completely by accident is the Gray with green stem tips that Penon and Hisenior include with their IEMs. Not only are they very comfortable for a deep insertion, but for whatever reason, they reduce pressure issues on every IEM I've had issues with in the past while still maintaining a great seal AND sonic properties. Not to mention, they are super cheap, maybe $5 for an entire set on Aliexpress!
Tip rolling is fun isn’t it and can really make a perceived difference.

I’ve spent more money than I care to admit on different ear tips.

Tri clarions are one of my favourites. I love wide bore tips that don’t surpress the upper frequencies makes the iem airy and stage a bit wider imo.

My new favourite, which is primarily due to fit, seal and comfort (which are the most important aspects) are the Whizzer Easytips ET100’s. They have a similar shape design to the tri clarions but not as wide. They look like a plunger - kind of quirky. But best of all they’re cheap and come in a variety of colours.

May 15, 2024 at 12:54 PM Post #101,592 of 103,968

You are not so far away, just send me the Aure, I gladly test it !
Joke of course (but I gladly buy it).

On theme: tips are important for me primarily for the fit and secondary for changing the sound.

May 15, 2024 at 12:55 PM Post #101,593 of 103,968
Tip rolling is fun isn’t it and can really make a perceived difference.

I’ve spent more money than I care to admit on different ear tips.

Tri clarions are one of my favourites. I love wide bore tips that don’t surpress the upper frequencies makes the iem airy and stage a bit wider imo.

My new favourite, which is primarily due to fit, seal and comfort (which are the most important aspects) are the Whizzer Easytips ET100’s. They have a similar shape design to the tri clarions but not as wide. They look like a plunger - kind of quirky. But best of all they’re cheap and come in a variety of colours.
Yes! those tips are really interesting and to your point, similar in shape to the Clarions. The differences that I found is that, for my ears at least, because the widest part is still the stem and not the flange, it could get uncomfortable with deep insertion because of how stiff the stem is compared to the flange on the clarions. The Clarions are so soft and easy to fit, the Whizzer tips are a little stiffer but definitely interesting.

The whizzers opened the stage quite a bit, but on most IEMs, push the upper mids passed the point I'd like. The Clarions are a happy medium. Opening the stage and highlighting the treble, but not effecting vocals as much.

And yes, I do enjoy tip rolling quite a bit! It's fun for sure, but can get tedious at times. It's all worth it though when you find that perfect fit and sound, isn't it?

May 15, 2024 at 12:57 PM Post #101,594 of 103,968

Super underrated post!

Yes, my humble opinion is that every audiophile who uses IEMs needs a nice collection of tips. its the simplest way to modify the sound, I find EQ to be too much work with IEMs. I use them on too many different devices.

Here are my favorites, Symbio / Baroque / Divinus / final E / Penon stock / Corier / W1 / CP100 / Azla Origin / XWBIMG_7721.jpeg

Really? Interesting... I was super disappointed with the W1s as I felt they reduced bass response quite a bit, I know it probably comes down to anatomy but they just didn't work for me. Weirdly enough, the Omnis worked for me a lot better, they seem to be the same material as the W1s, but with a short stem, allowing for some seriously deep insertion while still being comfortable and a slightly wider bore. Like all Spinfit tips, they're on the more premium side in terms of pricing, but they're worth a shot for sure!
I got the Omni in the same order, and those are literally never going to work for me lol… I don’t even have an IEM with a small enough nozzle for it lol.

Going in my next classifieds order for free 😂

May 15, 2024 at 12:58 PM Post #101,595 of 103,968

I have the normal Sancais and I have always enjoyed them, but I have found they close the stage down and reduce bass a bit, but I have the wide bores incoming (finally) and I'm hoping the wide bores change my opinions on them.
I chose normal instead cos in a video review of the wide bore option - they looked far too wide to me (given that they're uber squidgy)...maybe I should change the order before they're shipped out?? - cos I don't want to curtail the stage or bass obviously...cheers !!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back