The discovery thread!
May 20, 2024 at 5:13 AM Post #102,241 of 104,236
HungTuan got his KZ Vader (the CCA Trio side grade)

Received the KZ-Vader Balanced version today. I purchased it with my own money, mainly because it looks prettier (so why not, haha). TLDR: the force is strong with Vader Balance version.

The most popular question: Do they sound similar to the Trio?

Comparison is based on 1111 setting from both.

I will say, they share the same tuning. However, the mid-bass is less elevated in the Vader. The upper-mid/ultra-treble in the Vader is just better, with a very similar vibe to the ZS10 Pro 2 but more resolving and less harsh. In fact, with some tracks that already have bass boosted, you will find the bass on Trio is slightly bloated and the vocal is a bit thin, while Vader does this perfectly. This track is an example: YOASOBI "Racing into the Night". It really depends on your collection, if you are fine with Trio, don't bother to buy Vader.

The Vader is also harder to drive, you need around 20% more power to achieve the same sound pressure.

In terms of dimensions, they are just the same, but the Vader's faceplate makes them more eye-pleasing. The internal board is similar too, but the wiring on the Vader is thicker and looks more muscular.

Overall, I think Vader is an upgrade over Trio, though the improvements are just minor.

they share the same tuning. However, the mid-bass is less elevated in the Vader. The upper-mid/ultra-treble in the Vader is just better, with a very similar vibe to the ZS10 Pro 2 but more resolving and less harsh. In fact, with some tracks that already have bass boosted, you will find the bass on Trio is slightly bloated and the vocal is a bit thin, while Vader does this perfectly

that a bit more controlled bass and thicker vocals is tempting
but buying direct side grade with slight upgrade is kinda...

May 20, 2024 at 5:19 AM Post #102,242 of 104,236
Exactly this. I got mine for $299, an incredible value!
Purchase LINK.
Also would mention that a used Mojo can be had for $100 to $150.
And I also 2nd both the Cayin RU7 and Hiby FC6.
Lastly, a used LG V50 or V60 on ebay goes for ~$150.
All good options, IMO.

I'm kind of a psycho nerd and own all of these mentioned.

Wow that does sound a great deal. Idsd, signature one. 450 dollars off.

Does this one have the xbass feature?

Have and love the fc6. And got rid of other dacs apart from ibasso dc03 pro for CSdac sound.

Never heard these burr brown dacs. How do they sound?

And will they be too much for iems and more suitable for headphones?

It does indeed have XBass.
I am not great at describing DAC sound signatures, but I'd say that it's smooth and organic sounding. Decently detailed but more musical than analytical.
The iDSD Signature might be a bit much for really sensitive IEMs in normal operation, but it has IEMatch built in so can be adjusted to run basically anything by changing impedance.
Only downside is that she's a Chonky girl.
Definitely NOT pocketable....
Nice!

More hip dac 3 fun!

Here is the Penon GD849 special use cable........in use with the 7Hz Aurora! Meaning it has uses, though less uses than regular cables, yet when those uses are found it becomes valuable, where the Volt is middle-rounded and well-rounded showing a centered midrange personality......that goes with a wide variety of cables. Here we have the GD849 triming the treble and fixing the 6mm Planar Aurora timbre to bring about a level closer to perfection in playback response.
DSC_0217.jpegc copy.jpeg

https://penonaudio.com/penon-gd849.html

Last edited:
May 20, 2024 at 5:31 AM Post #102,243 of 104,236
Thanks for rec! I like Variations. Great iem. Technicalliy better than my FH9. Very good iem.
I feel the FH9 better ln technicalities, timbre is also better, but VARIATIONS is so close being more musical, that make it feel more enjoyable

Anyways, both are nice picks.

I recommend you to Eq'd the bass 100 peak shelf of the VARIATIONS, to make them more impressive (it has a really nice dynamic driver)

Last edited:
May 20, 2024 at 5:34 AM Post #102,244 of 104,236
May 20, 2024 at 5:35 AM Post #102,245 of 104,236
Ok I guess I am allowed to show the collab bundle. :wink:

Effect Audio x Elysian Acoustic Labs PILGRIM Noir, comes with a Effect Audio Eros S Noir Cable. I have all my EA cables terminated with ConX so...hey, Pen Ear is not a problem.

Note: PILGRIM is in caps. :thinking:

And the PILGRIM OG.
And some measurements, with my favourite Bamboo tips:

Cyan: PILGRIM OG
Purple: PILGRIM NOIR
1716197655324.png
\

Man, I guess I should also try learning how to use REW properly.

Last edited:
May 20, 2024 at 6:21 AM Post #102,246 of 104,236
And some measurements, with my favourite Bamboo tips:

Cyan: PILGRIM OG
Purple: PILGRIM NOIR
1716197655324.png
\

Man, I guess I should also try learning how to use REW properly.
I like OG graph better tho

May 20, 2024 at 6:38 AM Post #102,247 of 104,236
A new contender for the budget favorite three and the rediscovery - the KZ DQ6S (17 USD inc. tax)

The channels inside look solid, maybe something has changed since the legendary topology mishap. I don't know, sound is really good.

IMG_20240520_122937.jpg
IMG_20240520_123040.jpg

May 20, 2024 at 6:56 AM Post #102,248 of 104,236
So how is it baseless? Where's the research you've read that led you to call his worries and mine baseless? What's the scientific explanation for why a very large group of humans are worried about phone energy but not EST drivers?
I have numerous friends and family in the medical and scientific fields, and my background is in law, so I've read more precedent than I care to consider.

The frequencies emitted by these devices have no measurable effect on tissue. This isn't like putting a tiny microwave or radar station in your ear. Electrostats are not dangerous (and these are electrets, far weaker), it's very mature and well understood tech. Suggesting they are dangerous, without basis, is irresponsible. Your post amounts to scaremongering, nothing more, and I won't be addressing it further.

May 20, 2024 at 7:34 AM Post #102,249 of 104,236
The mystery of EA1000 nozzles

EA1000_nozzles_graph.jpg

These are measurements from exactly the same volume output from the amplifier. As you can see, bass is exactly the same, and the red nozzle is the mildest one.

Here is the tricky part: the red nozzle is the one WITHOUT any foam or dampening material inside. You can see the difference reflected in the dB value heard by the microphone: red nozzle (least dampened) is the loudest, black nozzle (most dampended) in the most quiet. Yet, the red nozzle has the least upper midrange. Why dampening shifts the energy down to upper midrange region?

@DynamicEars any guess?

Look at this beauty

Explorer.jpg

No smoothening was applied on the graph. It's the RAW response from the microphone. Look how smooth it is!

(AFUL Explorer aka Performer3, btw)

Last edited:
May 20, 2024 at 7:44 AM Post #102,250 of 104,236
A new contender for the budget favorite three and the rediscovery - the KZ DQ6S (17 USD inc. tax)

The channels inside look solid, maybe something has changed since the legendary topology mishap. I don't know, sound is really good.

IMG_20240520_122937.jpg
IMG_20240520_123040.jpg
I'll be pulling the trigger on the Hydro soon to compare how CCA manage to achieve a totl presentation/tonality - by implementing better BA's than the Rhapsody...

May 20, 2024 at 7:55 AM Post #102,251 of 104,236
@PhonoPhi casually brought up something in passing that had me thinking. Anyone read any research about EST electromagnetics and how that could show an increased potential for brain cancer? Several big name musicians developed brain cancer. So many people worrying about their cell phones, and those typically aren't at your ear for hours at a time, while an EST driver could and would. Just interesting, because of the energy it emits.
Regarding this issue - BT earphones are definitely a proven health hazard....I guess that EST electromagnetics must be emanating a toroidal field, which in turn, no doubt interacts with the toroidal field produced by our pineal gland?? This crucial gland is comprised of piezo electric crystals. MF Trio are my only EST set - & luckily I don't use them often enough to be concerned.

May 20, 2024 at 7:55 AM Post #102,252 of 104,236
@activatorfly Hydro looks great, especially internals implementation for KZ/CCA. Tuning wise it looks also nice

May 20, 2024 at 8:05 AM Post #102,254 of 104,236
These are measurements from exactly the same volume output from the amplifier. As you can see, bass is exactly the same, and the red nozzle is the mildest one.

Here is the tricky part: the red nozzle is the one WITHOUT any foam or dampening material inside. You can see the difference reflected in the dB value heard by the microphone: red nozzle (least dampened) is the loudest, black nozzle (most dampended) in the most quiet. Yet, the red nozzle has the least upper midrange. Why dampening shifts the energy down to upper midrange region?
Can be that the metal mesh is different?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back