The Enleum HPA-23RM Discussion Thread
Jan 14, 2024 at 3:34 AM Post #106 of 190
Jan 14, 2024 at 12:11 PM Post #107 of 190
Last edited:
Jan 14, 2024 at 12:25 PM Post #108 of 190
Hmm I listen to it again just, The bass do get a little more loose in the impact part but there's an improvement in subbass. I personally prefer the voltage out. I'll update to a maybe for that. Open to more inputs!

Last edited:
Jan 14, 2024 at 1:30 PM Post #109 of 190
From my little time with it, the Enleum 23RM did enlighten the HE-6, bringing cavernous, yet spot on, subbass. The rest of the spectrum getting the cristal clear treatment that is the Bakoon/Enlzum houssesound from my brief experience with them (1 year of Bakoon HPA-01M and a week of Enleum 23RM).

Concerning the Vérité Closed, it was more of a mixed bag. The sound signature per say wasn't awful, it did bring massive clarity, but at the same time, it did feel odd. Like it wasn't the Vérité Closed I like. Too much detail? Too great clarity? I unfortunately can't put a precise word on it, but it definitively convinced that the 23RM is not for me since I do have a planar and a dynamic driver at home, and mixing Enleum 23RM and dynamic drivers feels too much of luck to invest that kind of money for me.

Planar is the closest to perfection I've ever listened to I would say. But Dynamic drivers feels like turning the wheel of fortune blindfolded. I can be great, but it can also be... confusing.

By the way, I remember how much of a wonderful pairing the Fostex TH-900 was with the Bakoon, so if anybody can test it with the Enleum, that's much appreciated (and a potentially fantastic experience for the lucky listener)

Last edited:
Jan 14, 2024 at 8:00 PM Post #111 of 190
Jan 20, 2024 at 10:56 AM Post #113 of 190
On voltage is pretty good with iems, current is over power and too much gain in my opinion. I personally don't recommend it for iems.

Jan 20, 2024 at 6:38 PM Post #114 of 190
Hi,

Has anyone use it with IEMs?
The voltage output is great with IEMs. It's extremely quiet. The current output is incompatible, essentially, with IEMs.

Before anyone asks, some of my reviews have been delayed by other work, preparing kids for examinations.

Jan 20, 2024 at 7:38 PM Post #115 of 190
I absolutely love this little amp. My ZMFs (Atrium, Atticus, Aeolus) via voltage output are smooth, warm, and entrancing. My Dianas (V2, Phi) on the current output have slam, authority, and seductive energy. It's almost like two different amps in one.
For me, the amp is definitely worth the price.

Jan 20, 2024 at 8:44 PM Post #117 of 190
The voltage output is great with IEMs. It's extremely quiet. The current output is incompatible, essentially, with IEMs.

Before anyone asks, some of my reviews have been delayed by other work, preparing kids for examinations.
Thanks All, Appreciate the feedback...I want an amp that can drive my IEMs and Headphones on the go...esp. my Atrium and Susvara.
I have a few dynamic-driver IEMs. With the exception of Zero Red whose FR is designed to interact with the output impedance, everything else works with the current output. The improvement/change going from voltage output to current output on my E500 is quite staggering, in a good way. The imaging improves vastly and the treble is more refined, all without changing the FR. The midrange sounds completely different from what I'm used to hearing from the E500 on different setups, and I don't think the word "imaging" captures well the differences I hear. But it is a favorable change nonetheless. I posted some measurement here.
3. E500 driven by
- iPhone SE 2016
- Hugo 2 green filter
- Hugo 2 white filter
- Hugo 2 green filter + HPA-23RM voltage output
- Hugo 2 green filter + HPA-23RM current output

The voltage output and current output have an identical FR, so I'd say it was "compatible". The change going from Hugo2 to Hugo2+23RM voltage was a <5% improvement in soundstage, imaging and depth. But the overall presentation of the music is still the same and familiar. The change going from Hugo2+23RM voltage to Hugo2+23RM current is hard to quantify. The treble is straight up better. But the rest is almost like someone did a remastering on the recording. If you are familiar with audiophile remastering, it sounds like an AP remaster instead of a MFSL remaster. Very hard to describe... With the voltage output, the music sounds more "whole", you know, like how it is supposed to be. I hear the soundstage as outlined by the decay of instruments. With the current output, the music doesn't sound "whole" anymore; instead, I hear individual instruments playing, somewhat disconnected from each other. The decays are still audible but more localized. I "hear" less of the soundstage. Perhaps "dry" (as in reverberation) is the word I'm looking for...

Another thing to note is that I find myself listening to the current output at a higher overall volume than the voltage output. One thing I've learned from the hobby is that if a change in the chain makes me want to withstand loudness, then the change is a favorable one. So I'd say I like this current output.

Last edited:
Jan 21, 2024 at 3:08 AM Post #119 of 190
Interesting combo with the E500. I assume you are using low gain? How much usable gain did you get? eg. did you manage to go to 11 on the dial?
Hugo 2's line out is 3Vrms, very high. At 3Vrms I can hear clipping from the 23RM, so I have to connect the Hugo 2 via pre out. I set the volume on the Hugo 2 to about 1/3 of the way (not sure what Vrms it corresponds to), set the volume on 23RM on low gain to about 11, and listen to the E500. I adjust the volume on Hugo 2 instead of the 23RM because 23RM's volume step is larger.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back