The Ethernet cables, Switches and Network related sound thread. Share your listening experience only.
May 9, 2024 at 8:15 AM Post #2,161 of 2,212
Appreciate your tips. So I reconfigured my wifi extender to accept only the 2.4 ghz band from my main router. There is nothing I can do about other wireless devices using the 2.4 ghz band from the main router as they're in the house and need wifi. However, I'm hoping the wifi extender has some sort of noise filtration etc built in. After some digging in the settings I also found I could disable wifi broadcasting on the extender, so I did that. Now the extender is getting it's signal from the main router on the 2.4 ghz band and solely outputting a wired signal to my Innuos server/streamer. I double checked the 2.4 ghz band on the main router and it's 20mHz. Sonically things seem a bit smoother, which is surprising. Nothing night/day but a tad less harsh for lack of a better way to describe things.
An RE650 will automatically choose the cleanest broadcast frequency. You should configure it for both 2.4 and 5Ghz and allow it to choose. Disabling the broadcast radio as you've done provides a noticeably cleaner signal.

May 9, 2024 at 8:28 AM Post #2,162 of 2,212
I'm planning to get an EtherRegen Gen 2 when it is released (hopefully August this year).
Place that between my wifi extender and streamer.

May 9, 2024 at 11:45 AM Post #2,163 of 2,212
Are you absolutely certain your service provider will not allow you to use your own router? That would be very unusual, you should check again. I know you must use their modem, but you should be able to configure the modem/router so it acts strictly as a modem. If the device they supplied cannot be reconfigured, they may be able exchange it for a pure modem. That's where most audiophiles recommend to start.
I should clarify: I did try at one point using a mesh router unit and trying to configure our existing modem/router unit for pass through mode. I am not 100% certain I configured it correctly, however, I was able to send a wifi signal from the new mesh router to a corresponding mesh extender in the audio room. This didn't make an audible difference to my ears. I assume it was because wifi is wifi?

ISP modem/routers have limited coverage. If you get a powerful enough router, you may be able to turn off the wi-fi broadcast on your extender. That will provide further improvement.
I did this just yesterday. I'm still using the ISP modem/router, but I get enough wifi coverage to be able to turn off broadcasting from the wifi extender. I was happy to have discovered this and have to credit @greenblured for suggesting it. I didn't even think about turning broadcasting off, let alone discovering that it was possible

The next thing I would do is to move the SOtM isolator between the modem and router, and add a network switch between the extender and streamer. My choice would be an EtherRegen, but even a basic switch with upgraded PSU will make a difference.
I can get a switch to try this. However this brings a question – my extender has 4 ethernet jacks. I have 3 devices I need to plug in: monitor, computer and audio server. How do you recommend plugging these items in:
  1. Computer and monitor into the wifi extender jacks, audio server into the switch? Or
  2. All 3 devices into the switch

Last edited:
May 9, 2024 at 12:07 PM Post #2,164 of 2,212
An RE650 will automatically choose the cleanest broadcast frequency. You should configure it for both 2.4 and 5Ghz and allow it to choose.
Is this generally true for all wifi extenders? I also have a TP Link unit, RE590T

May 9, 2024 at 4:40 PM Post #2,165 of 2,212
Can someone advise me here and then I or a mod can delete this post? After decades as an audio enthusiast, I launched my own business www.reikiaudio.com last year focused solely on optimising network replay with the SuperSwitch and/or the Optical Bridge. The former has won awards and both products have just got an enthusiastic review by Roy Gregory https://gy8.eu/review/magnificently-minimalist/. I couldn't see an obvious place for an announcement of same; is there an allotted place? I'm about to to change my profile so it shows my affiliation but if someone can tell me whether there's something else I should do too then I'd appreciate it.

I'd appreciate any advice either here or via PM, and mods please delete or move this post as appropriate. Thanks

May 9, 2024 at 5:34 PM Post #2,166 of 2,212
Can someone advise me here and then I or a mod can delete this post? After decades as an audio enthusiast, I launched my own business www.reikiaudio.com last year focused solely on optimising network replay with the SuperSwitch and/or the Optical Bridge. The former has won awards and both products have just got an enthusiastic review by Roy Gregory https://gy8.eu/review/magnificently-minimalist/. I couldn't see an obvious place for an announcement of same; is there an allotted place? I'm about to to change my profile so it shows my affiliation but if someone can tell me whether there's something else I should do too then I'd appreciate it.

I'd appreciate any advice either here or via PM, and mods please delete or move this post as appropriate. Thanks
Here you go - Member of the Trade rules here, which include a requirement to email the site Admin.

https://www.head-fi.org/articles/terms-of-service.6725/#mot

May 10, 2024 at 12:26 AM Post #2,168 of 2,212
Is this generally true for all wifi extenders? I also have a TP Link unit, RE590T
I believe this function must first be set up in the router. I have Wireless Settings in my TP-Link Archer C9 router's operating system which allow me to set "Channel Width" and "Channel". Both are set to Auto. I could select a channel manually, but I let the router choose, because the neighbours' wi-fi signals intrude into my airspace, and their signals are not constant. I would have to monitor full time if I were to take control.

When set to Auto, the router broadcasts 2.4 and 5Ghz, on whichever channels have the least amount of traffic. I have TP-Link RE650, RE450 and RE200 extenders. The first two will receive and extend the narrowed channels, and broadcast can be turned off. The RE200 has neither capability, so not universally applicable. I expect your extender would be capable as long as your router has the capability to choose channels and is set up properly. I have an app on my phone called Wi-Fi Analyzer, which gives a visual indication of wi-fi signals. QoS is another good feature, but I can't use it because of insufficient bandwidth. My internet service is only 70-100Mbps.

PS My main and desktop audio systems use copper and fiber optics, no wi-fi.

Last edited:
May 10, 2024 at 12:45 AM Post #2,169 of 2,212
I asked the same as I’m interested in the Munich offer but sadly don’t seem to receive any response. Most probably no one has tried this yet given it’s still a relatively new product on the market

May 10, 2024 at 12:53 AM Post #2,170 of 2,212
I believe this function must first be set up in the router. I have Wireless Settings in my TP-Link Archer C9 router's operating system which allow me to set "Channel Width" and "Channel". Both are set to Auto. I could select a channel manually, but I let the router choose, because the neighbours' wi-fi signals intrude into my airspace, and their signals are not constant. I would have to monitor full time if I were to take control.

When set to Auto, the router broadcasts 2.4 and 5Ghz, on whichever channels have the least amount of traffic. I have TP-Link RE650, RE450 and RE200 extenders. The first two will receive and extend the narrowed channels, and broadcast can be turned off. The RE200 has neither capability, so not universally applicable. I expect your extender would be capable as long as your router has the capability to choose channels and is set up properly. I have an app on my phone called Wi-Fi Analyzer, which gives a visual indication of wi-fi signals. QoS is another good feature, but I can't use it because of insufficient bandwidth. My internet service is only 70-100Mbps.

PS My main and desktop audio systems use copper and fiber optics, no wi-fi.
Ok, understood what you mean now

May 10, 2024 at 12:57 AM Post #2,171 of 2,212
I asked the same as I’m interested in the Munich offer but sadly don’t seem to receive any response. Most probably no one has tried this yet given it’s still a relatively new product on the market
If that was to me (I’m not sure it was) then word is definitely out there and we’re growing.
Have you ever been to the Munich show? Just the head-fi room fills a whole atrium floor and is as big as some shows…

May 10, 2024 at 1:31 AM Post #2,172 of 2,212
C’est la vie. Or you/I could look it at it as an opportunity to be one of those brave early adopters with the kudos that comes with it… 😉

May 10, 2024 at 2:07 AM Post #2,173 of 2,212
I should clarify: I did try at one point using a mesh router unit and trying to configure our existing modem/router unit for pass through mode. I am not 100% certain I configured it correctly, however, I was able to send a wifi signal from the new mesh router to a corresponding mesh extender in the audio room. This didn't make an audible difference to my ears. I assume it was because wifi is wifi?

I did this just yesterday. I'm still using the ISP modem/router, but I get enough wifi coverage to be able to turn off broadcasting from the wifi extender. I was happy to have discovered this and have to credit @greenblured for suggesting it. I didn't even think about turning broadcasting off, let alone discovering that it was possible

I can get a switch to try this. However this brings a question – my extender has 4 ethernet jacks. I have 3 devices I need to plug in: monitor, computer and audio server. How do you recommend plugging these items in:
  1. Computer and monitor into the wifi extender jacks, audio server into the switch? Or
  2. All 3 devices into the switch
@tholt:
(1) would be best practice. This will help to isolate the audio server from other potentially noisy devices including the computer and monitor.

How far is the extender from the audio server?

Last edited:
May 10, 2024 at 7:46 AM Post #2,175 of 2,212
If that was to me (I’m not sure it was) then word is definitely out there and we’re growing.
Have you ever been to the Munich show? Just the head-fi room fills a whole atrium floor and is as big as some shows…
I was actually quoting Jake’s reply regarding Afterdark’s Munich promotion but somehow my message was out as a fresh reply 😆

Users who are viewing this thread

Back