The FiiO X3 2nd gen (ex X3K, X3II) Thread : 192K/24B, CS4398,Native DSD, USB DAC with LO and inline remote
Jul 10, 2015 at 3:07 AM Post #4,786 of 9,972
Using it as USB counts as digital, no? However spdif will make it more portable.

Jul 10, 2015 at 4:19 AM Post #4,787 of 9,972

So this is awkward but I just tried the X3II for the first time, they had cards with the dongle at the store so I said screw it instead of waiting for my card to come in the mail as I am away from home. (just a small 16gb)

Right now I don't have a digital cable so I can't run the X3II as a DAC and the E17K as an amp through my PC, but with the two together playing music it blows the computer away with just the E17K power wise. 

I noticed though unfortunately my ears like instantly adjusted to the resolution, so I can't appreciate that aspect anymore as I don't notice it unless it is deteriorated. Which lacking a digital cable I do notice it being deteriorated as a DAP, only outputs 16 bit atm. However again power wise it whoops the computer like this, I can't wait till the digital cable comes so I can run it all together. Right now I could probably disconnect the E17K to improve on the resolution, though the power will drop massively. My bass is at 8 with a gain of 12, and combined it makes me all most scared for my headphones  Not sure what the limits of the HD25-II' are so I guess be careful. 

Update: just with the X3II the sound quality is darn good, though just not enough bass without an amp. I think I could benefit from the X5II however for price you can surely compensate the chipset with a lot better AMP pair with X3II. I think I'll leave mine alone for now though till I receive better headphones don't want to blow these.

- Album Art Display is really nice
- Music plays from exactly where it left off

All around it is a really beautiful device, I'm the type of person that finds problem with everything, this I have no complaints. All I need is a shuffle option and I am happy my last lossless player only had wma files and had no shuffle.

EDIT: Misunderstood the issue.

Jul 10, 2015 at 4:58 PM Post #4,789 of 9,972
I plug mine in through the auxillary inputs on my Denon system. Using an above generic cable to connect it which I thought would be a placebo effect. On my laptop,, I use it as a DAC to make up for the rubbish headphone amplifier built into it. Remember to use to supplied SPDIF adaptor for the FiiO X3 as it is supposed to be wired differently....(I read that somewhere....on the FiiO website).

Jul 10, 2015 at 5:48 PM Post #4,790 of 9,972
  I plug mine in through the auxillary inputs on my Denon system. Using an above generic cable to connect it which I thought would be a placebo effect. On my laptop,, I use it as a DAC to make up for the rubbish headphone amplifier built into it. Remember to use to supplied SPDIF adaptor for the FiiO X3 as it is supposed to be wired differently....(I read that somewhere....on the FiiO website).

My problem with auxiliary is it drops down to 28k, 16 bit as opposed to 9624. Yeah I understand that completely now, delving more and more into the electronic world. The power rating of devices, and poles are sometimes compatible but actually causing detrimental side-effects. As such I've commissioned Moon-Audio to send me a digital cable to go between the two. I couldn't find any information personally on the E17K, which they all most immediately provided said missing information to me.  

Jul 10, 2015 at 6:10 PM Post #4,791 of 9,972
I have spdif & aes/ebu modes on my main soundcard. I would need another amp with digital coax.

Jul 10, 2015 at 11:04 PM Post #4,792 of 9,972
My problem with auxiliary is it drops down to 28k, 16 bit as opposed to 9624. Yeah I understand that completely now, delving more and more into the electronic world. The power rating of devices, and poles are sometimes compatible but actually causing detrimental side-effects. As such I've commissioned Moon-Audio to send me a digital cable to go between the two. I couldn't find any information personally on the E17K, which they all most immediately provided said missing information to me.  

What on earth is playing at 28kHz sampling rate? Don't you mean 44.1kHz/16bit?

Jul 10, 2015 at 11:11 PM Post #4,794 of 9,972
The amp was receiving the signal from X3II at that rate, at least that's how it read. not sure why. Right now it is up to 48. I don't control what it does, has a mind of its own.

That's just strange.

Jul 11, 2015 at 2:35 AM Post #4,796 of 9,972
I find that strange also. Through an auxiliary cable should be identical as an analogue signal until reaches the receiver where the maximum limits of your playback system act as a yielding factor.

I'm not sure off-hand the range of the playback on the denon. However the speakers extend to 44khz frequency response. Once I find out I will come back to this thread.

Jul 11, 2015 at 7:34 AM Post #4,797 of 9,972
Sounds good lol, and I am expierencing the weirdest error ever on my X3II atm. Slow motion music!  Is an .aac 4 mins long and is playing on every second but it is being playback so slow I can barely understand it. 

Jul 11, 2015 at 7:41 AM Post #4,798 of 9,972

hiya Koolpep!

can i ask you a question about the X3 II dac section. Basically... I want to makeshift the X3 II as a temporary DAC for my desktop setup.
How is the sound quality and performance of the DAC section of Fiio x3 II in comparison to your Modi 2 Uber...?

Does it sound (casually-speaking), comparable, if not the same..?

Jul 11, 2015 at 1:22 PM Post #4,799 of 9,972
Maybe the aac is not standard and not decoding properly. Other than that, try another aac. If all fails, reset the fiio to factory settings and try again.

Jul 11, 2015 at 6:35 PM Post #4,800 of 9,972
success in getting inline-remote working in a DIY way!

I'll have my circuit ready to show at the next headfi gathering, this coming weekend, in fact :wink:   (sf bay area)

what I've done is to create a circuit, using an arduino, that listens for IR (or RF/xbee) commands and maps the skip-left, skip-right and play/pause keys to the right number of clicks on the 4th band (the inline remote band) and ground.  I was right, its one click for play/pause, 2 clicks for skip-forward and 3 clicks for skip-backward (whole songs, not seeking).  its about 120ms time for the square waves and I'm using a solid state relay to short the band contacts.  when the user presses a learned IR key on their remote (I use a sony dvd remote), it will find a match in its lookup table and send the click sequence to the SSR; then delay (guard time) then go back to listening on IR and xbee again.

this is what the circuit board looks like (it does many other things, but I just added remote control for the x3-2 today):

it is going to be open source (hw and sw) so anyone can build one if they want.  you can ignore the xbee module if you only want to control the x3-2 from IR.

can give more details if people want.  the cable that works perfectly is - believe it or not - a zune cable.  I bought this one:

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B000IXLHOM

now, I can use this like a home cd player, have it sit on a shelf near my audio system and use an IR remote from my chair to control, at least the basics.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back