The iBasso DX50 Thread - Latest firmware: 1.9.5 - June 30, 2016
Oct 24, 2013 at 11:27 PM Post #4,921 of 18,652
  So on my DX50 with fw 1.22, I just got a different battery in, its KINPS branded, didnt know what to expect, but there is a definite difference in sound from stock battery, bass has increased immensely, more slam, more sub bass, treble has been tamed slightly, sound stage is smaller, everything sounds closer to you, vocals and instruments are all forward without being harsh, over all I prefer this sound. The stock battery sounds more balanced overall, but the treble is extremely tizzy for me and the bass is too soft, although the stock battery sounds a bit more transparent, and wider which I really like. Now I definitely want to try out a samsung battery, as the change in SQ from battery change is quite significant to me.

I get the impression that there is a lot more power behind the KINPS battery. But from the stock battery I get the impression that the power is cleaner. I'm hoping a samsung battery will combine both these traits :)

Smaller soundstage? 

Oct 25, 2013 at 12:01 AM Post #4,925 of 18,652

anyone? were you able to recover? mine is stuck maybe 20 minutes now.

I would do a hard reset, hold down the power key and the up button on the side for volume. Then try the factory reset again. If that doesn't work, extract the 1.2.2 again and drop it onto the DX50 and try again. I have had to do this from time to time. It always, eventually works out. Post back. My first extraction of the FW download was corrupted. I extracted from the same download again and it worked. 

Oct 25, 2013 at 12:10 AM Post #4,927 of 18,652
I had the same problem.  I deleted the update from the X50, downloaded the firmware again and reinstalled the firmware again.  Everything worked then.  I'm assuming I just got a bad download the first time.

Oct 25, 2013 at 12:17 AM Post #4,928 of 18,652
  Smaller soundstage? 

Not really, just because everything sounds closer to you, more immediate, it feels smaller, but its not really any smaller now that I compared them some more, nonetheless the stock battery has more air surrounding the sound because it isn't as forward. The dynamics and energy in the sound have really improved though, which was the biggest weakness to the DX50 with stock battery for me. Anyone who would like some more bass should also consider a battery change. Very happy with the sound upgrade, won't bother with a samsung battery for now, this battery seems to be getting better through use any way, its already more transparent than it was at first, so I'll see what happens.
  just wondering if there is any gold plated battery for s3....will it sound better?

believe what you will, there is a simply massive difference between the batteries for me.

Oct 25, 2013 at 12:18 AM Post #4,929 of 18,652
  I tried this exact method and it's been stuck on the Ibasso splash screen for maybe 10 minutes after rebooting? updates seemed to go well, no errors i could see. I left the music on the internal memory, but did do a factory reset before the update. anyone? thx

or try forcing the unit to turn off - pressing the power button till the unit turns off then turn it back on....i don't know if this would also help but, try to also clear out the internal memory of music, it's worth a shot!

Oct 25, 2013 at 12:21 AM Post #4,930 of 18,652
  I would do a hard reset, hold down the power key and the up button on the side for volume. Then try the factory reset again. If that doesn't work, extract the 1.2.2 again and drop it onto the DX50 and try again. I have had to do this from time to time. It always, eventually works out. Post back. My first extraction of the FW download was corrupted. I extracted from the same download again and it worked. 

did that twice and finally came back up, did a factory reset and it wiped the internal memory, before the update when i did the factory reset, it' didn't wipe the music for some reason. all is well, copied the small amount of music back, most is on the uSD card. scroll bar! thanks for the help, 20 hours in the air in a couple weeks - will be nice to have.

Oct 25, 2013 at 12:36 AM Post #4,932 of 18,652
  So on my DX50 with fw 1.22, I just got a different battery in, its KINPS branded, didnt know what to expect, but there is a definite difference in sound from stock battery, bass has increased immensely, more slam, more sub bass, treble has been tamed slightly, sound stage is smaller, everything sounds closer to you, vocals and instruments are all forward without being harsh, over all I prefer this sound. The stock battery sounds more balanced overall, but the treble is extremely tizzy for me and the bass is too soft, although the stock battery sounds a bit more transparent, and wider which I really like. Now I definitely want to try out a samsung battery, as the change in SQ from battery change is quite significant to me.

I get the impression that there is a lot more power behind the KINPS battery. But from the stock battery I get the impression that the power is cleaner. I'm hoping a samsung battery will combine both these traits :)

I hear this the same as you.  I really like the sound but would like to tame the treble a bit and bump the bass overall it sounds so much more natural that an iPod or iPhone I don't care but if a new batter would change the sound to make it more perfect I would try it. Where do you get the batteries? How much? 

Oct 25, 2013 at 12:45 AM Post #4,933 of 18,652
I only just got my DX50, so both the stock and new battery and my player haven't been run in. I wouldn't trust my first impression just yet, As the sound is changing every time I listen. I want to run everything in for a few days then test again.

Oct 25, 2013 at 12:54 AM Post #4,934 of 18,652
Yeah so after long waiting I finally received my dx50 and I do truly recommend it ;D I upgraded straight to 1.2.2 and so far no problems. For anybody not sure if it is worth a jump from an iphone/ipod , YES it IS ! ;DD My W4rs sound definitely better than on the iphone 4 , The sound is both fuller and more detailed and the amp inside dx50 has got plenty of power left for bigger more power hungry headphones. Im not trully an audiophile and I cant really describe exactly the sound of the combination but one is for sure....It puts a big smile on my face as I listen to songs i thought i was bored of and rediscover them with better detail, imaging and maybe not much bigger but for sure more realistic soundstage that my phone couldnt pull of. Definite upgrade, great buy , if you are still not sure about the purchase i think there is nothing to hesitate about now . 

....and the free brainwavz R3 from mp4nation.....and i didnt have to pay any taxes etc. as it was sent as a "Sample headphones, no value" , couldnt be more satisfied ;>

Congrat on your combo. I waiting for mine and will be using same setup. When did you order your DX50 from mp4nation?

Oct 25, 2013 at 12:56 AM Post #4,935 of 18,652

Not really, just because everything sounds closer to you, more immediate, it feels smaller, but its not really any smaller now that I compared them some more, nonetheless the stock battery has more air surrounding the sound because it isn't as forward. The dynamics and energy in the sound have really improved though, which was the biggest weakness to the DX50 with stock battery for me. Anyone who would like some more bass should also consider a battery change. Very happy with the sound upgrade, won't bother with a samsung battery for now, this battery seems to be getting better through use any way, its already more transparent than it was at first, so I'll see what happens.

believe what you will, there is a simply massive difference between the batteries for me.

I might push for the Samsung battery then, since is a lot easier to get the official batteries in my country. I might try them when i get my hands on one and check if the SQ really changes.

I don't know if you could do a blind test with a single battery, but i'm guessing it would be easier with 2 DX50's.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back