The New HIBY R3 II is here. 4.4MM Jack; Improved Sound and Bluetooth.
Apr 20, 2024 at 10:29 PM Post #6,857 of 6,870
Here's the new hiby case for the R3-II. This is the navy blue one.

20240418_110634.jpgdbbede1c-c037-4262-8f62-1f9a9b9e8d70.jpg

20240419_162108.jpg

Apr 24, 2024 at 10:27 PM Post #6,858 of 6,870
When I am using the r3ii with an external dac, do I set the volume on it to 100? (Maximum). Thanks.

Apr 25, 2024 at 2:44 AM Post #6,859 of 6,870
Hi,

Do you know if a random mode exists? And if so, how do you implement it?

Thank you !

May 21, 2024 at 4:59 PM Post #6,860 of 6,870
My R3 II isn't working with Qobuz, I see this message 20240521_214037.jpg
Is anyone else having this problem? Any suggestions? I have tried logging out and back in to my Qobuz account, that didn't change anything.

Last edited:
May 22, 2024 at 1:08 AM Post #6,861 of 6,870
May 25, 2024 at 4:48 PM Post #6,863 of 6,870
Nevermind

Last edited:
May 25, 2024 at 10:25 PM Post #6,864 of 6,870
Does anyone know if they are using better batteries in the R3 II ? I had a hiby r3 die on me just out of warranty 1yr+, and so I bought a pro saber in august of 2020, but eventually the battery in the pro saber died on me after 2.5 to 3 years. It will still boot up and run while plugged into a charger but otherwise it's a dead brick. I've had phones and tablets for a very long time, same kind usage practices and charging patterns where this didn't happen ever. I did have a cheap ring doorbell camera at one point whose pillow battery inflated and crapped out though.

I suspect that the pillow batteries they use in the Hiby devices are cheap / non-durable. They solder them in too, instead of using a molex plug connection, so it's a lot more difficult and risky to replace, if you can even find a suitable battery model replacement spec wise.

I really liked the hiby devices functionality, which is why when my first one died I bought the pro saber, but at some point I have to hit the brakes. These aren't supposed to be disposables. I'm not the only one this has happened to either, if you search around.

May 25, 2024 at 10:33 PM Post #6,865 of 6,870
I really liked the hiby devices functionality, which is why when my first one died I bought the pro saber, but at some point I have to hit the brakes. These aren't supposed to be disposables. I'm not the only one this has happened to either, if you search around.

Don't keep it plugged in all the time, don't store it at 100% charge, don't discharge it all the down to 0 and the battery will last a very long time. LiPo batteries like to be kept between 20 and 80% charge for optimal lifetime, I follow these rules myself and have zero problems with the ton of devices I have, more than I like to admit, some of them are 5+ years old and still going strong.

If you need to use it plugged in to a PC/Phone just buy a dongle without a battery, it's just better overall.

Yes, I wish Hiby would add a battery protection mode like the Qudelix 5k or the newer Fiio devices have, let's hope they will one day.

May 26, 2024 at 11:09 AM Post #6,866 of 6,870
Don't keep it plugged in all the time, don't store it at 100% charge, don't discharge it all the down to 0 and the battery will last a very long time. LiPo batteries like to be kept between 20 and 80% charge for optimal lifetime, I follow these rules myself and have zero problems with the ton of devices I have, more than I like to admit, some of them are 5+ years old and still going strong.

If you need to use it plugged in to a PC/Phone just buy a dongle without a battery, it's just better overall.

Yes, I wish Hiby would add a battery protection mode like the Qudelix 5k or the newer Fiio devices have, let's hope they will one day.

I appreciate the reply, but . .

There are plenty of devices that don't have that fragility. It's pretty standard. I'm not micromanaging my charging (or the marketed and promoted pc/dac usage features) on a device in 2024. That's crap.

May 26, 2024 at 11:15 AM Post #6,867 of 6,870
I also use it on the run, and doing yardwork, landscaping, working out. It can run to zero easily over hours of labor even from a full charge - or if you aren't micro managing (e.g. you didn't want to babysit it to not go over 80%) . . and pick it up at 1/2 charge to do some work or work out.

If you aren't going to have resilient charge protection included in 2020 - 2024, then you need to have swappable batteries.

May 26, 2024 at 2:38 PM Post #6,869 of 6,870
I also use it on the run, and doing yardwork, landscaping, working out. It can run to zero easily over hours of labor even from a full charge - or if you aren't micro managing (e.g. you didn't want to babysit it to not go over 80%) . . and pick it up at 1/2 charge to do some work or work out.

If you aren't going to have resilient charge protection included in 2020 - 2024, then you need to have swappable batteries.
All Lithium batteries are best stored between 20 and 80%. These devices do not have poor charge protection. They have the same type of charge protection that all protected batteries have. In fact, that very protection circuit is what may be keeping your device from charging it's battery. If you depleted the battery fully, and left it on, or did not recharge for a few weeks, the battery will go below it's "minimum Voltage". When a protected lithium battery goes below it's designed minimum voltage; and you try to charge it, the protection circuit "thinks" it is dead, and does not allow fast charging. BUT, if you connect a low power charger (500mah or lower, like original USB--1 power level) to the player (with the player ON to slow charging rate even more),) the lower charge rate can slowly start a charge. Once above like 5%, you can go back to faster speed charging. If this works, you should end up with close to original battery life.
This is true for almost all Lithium polymer batteries, and for many LiFePO4. NO guarantee but worth trying.

May 26, 2024 at 6:30 PM Post #6,870 of 6,870
I appreciate the reply, but . .

There are plenty of devices that don't have that fragility. It's pretty standard. I'm not micromanaging my charging (or the marketed and promoted pc/dac usage features) on a device in 2024. That's crap.

Ok, I don't know what to tell you, buy something else then.

But, the smaller capacity the battery has the more fragile it is. In the absence of a protection feature/circuit, it's just chemistry.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back